The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 July 2023, 06:33 AM   #1
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

JV Timepieces – A Nightmare Unfolded

https://www.jvtimepieces.co/

JV Timepieces – A Nightmare Unfolded

I feel compelled to share my troubling experience with JV Timepieces, hoping to provide you with essential facts so you can make an informed decision regarding conducting business with them.

My journey with JV Timepieces began when I came across a Rolex Sky Dweller listed by Andres Baez Silva, an employee at JV Timepieces, on the Moda Group Facebook page. Desperately seeking this watch, which is notoriously difficult to find through authorized dealers due to high demand, I considered purchasing it despite the significantly higher market price. However, since it appeared to be in excellent condition and had all its original stickers, I decided it was worth the investment. I reached out to Andres and offered my watch, a Submariner 116613LB, along with additional cash for a potential trade. In response, Andres made an offer which I reluctantly accepted, despite it being substantially below the market price. My main motivation was to avoid the hassle of selling and dealing with multiple buyers.

Initially, things seemed promising, and I took meticulous, high-resolution pictures and videos of my Submariner to ensure JV Timepieces had a clear understanding of its condition before sending it to them. They reviewed the images and assured me everything looked good. Subsequently, I mailed my watch via FedEx overnight and maintained communication with JV Timepieces until they confirmed receipt.

Unfortunately, the nightmare began when Andres contacted me, accusing my Submariner of being a "totally fake" watch. I immediately called him to understand the basis of this claim, but his unprofessional and accusatory tone left me shocked. Despite my inquiries, he kept insisting that their "expert watchmaker" had inspected the watch and found everything to be fake, including the case, bracelet, and movement. He promised to send videos to support their allegations.

Upon receiving the videos, I was appalled at the watchmaker's disregard for proper procedures. The work area was messy and lacked essential tools, and my watch was carelessly handled on a dirty table. The watchmaker table did not even have a proper watchmaker mat. He used a cheap and inadequate case opener and a single dirty glove, which could have damaged my precious timepiece. At one point I see him using a blade knife to remove the bezel from my case which could have easily damaged my case or bent the yellow gold bezel. Then you see him move my watch around the same facing down which could have easily caused more damage. This experience left me feeling uncertain and vulnerable, especially as JV Timepieces held both my watch and money, which Andres seemed to exploit with his unprofessional behavior.

Desperate for answers and resolution, I contacted Julian Velez, the owner of JV Timepieces, to address the matter. Despite an initially hostile exchange, I sensed a glimmer of sincerity from Julian. He agreed to have the watch inspected by another source. Eventually, I received a call from Julian claiming that some minor parts were not "original." According to him, the spring bars in the bracelet, the two movement screws that hold the movement to the case, and the crown were not original. I questioned the inconsistency in their earlier claims of the entire watch being fake, but Julian remained evasive. At this point, I give Julian the benefit of the doubt and put my guard down, but the next thing I hear from him shows me that he is no different and again trying to pull a fast one. Having been a watch collector for decades and having dealt with Rolex directly for numerous timepiece services, I am well aware of the reasonable costs associated with small miscellaneous parts. When Julian claimed that Rolex would refuse to service my watch, I knew it was false as they have always been accommodating in servicing their products.

Moreover, I found it utterly unreasonable that JV Timepieces demanded an exorbitant $1,500 for changing a supposedly "not original" crown and a couple of screws. In reality, a genuine Rolex crown typically costs around $140, and individual screws do not exceed a few dollars each. The price they quoted was grossly inflated and seemed like an attempt to take advantage of the situation.

At that moment, it became evident that JV Timepieces was not a company I wished to continue dealing with. My primary objective became retrieving my watch and money without further delay. With composure, I conveyed to Julian that once I received the watch, I intended to send it promptly to the Rolex Service Center in Dallas for a comprehensive inspection. My aim was to ensure that JV Timepieces had not tampered with the original components and replaced them with aftermarket parts.

Determined to safeguard my interests, I decided to send my watch the same day I received it back from Julian to Rolex Service Center in Dallas for an inspection and potential servicing. The results from Rolex confirmed the legitimacy of my watch, debunking JV Timepieces' claims. This experience solidified my decision not to recommend JV Timepieces to anyone, as I value professionalism, honesty, and transparency in any business dealings. Please consider this information carefully before deciding to engage with them.

*** On 7/19/2023, JV Timepieces was notified about the review and provided with an opportunity to address any issues raised within 24 hours. However, they did not submit any response, indicating a lack of ability to defend their position.

sfbatman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 09:58 AM   #2
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Thanks for sharing; guess avoid Moda at all costs since it's kind of like a box of chocolates that you never know what you gonna get!

(i guess for total peace of mind deal solely with AD points of sale, TRF Trusted sellers, TRF members with a long history on the forum and solid references that can be vetted.)
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #3
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Thanks for sharing; guess avoid Moda at all costs since it's kind of like a box of chocolates that you never know what you gonna get!

(i guess for total peace of mind deal solely with AD points of sale, TRF Trusted sellers, TRF members with a long history on the forum and solid references that can be vetted.)
Well said. It was a stressful and an expensive lesson. I posted the exact same review on WUS and it seems like this dealer is notorious for trying to scam people.

Most of their reviews are fake which can be misleading.

Here is another example of their sketchy methods

https://g.co/kgs/4Uw2nK

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2023, 04:27 PM   #4
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I am surprised you posted this particular example of your experience. I think if I sent a not fully original Rolex in for trade I probably wouldn’t make a a lot of noise about it.
Old 23 July 2023, 04:39 PM   #5
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
I am surprised you posted this particular example of your experience. I think if I sent a not fully original Rolex in for trade I probably wouldn’t make a a lot of noise about it.
As said all their claims were debunked when the watch was inspected by Rolex.

Old 23 July 2023, 07:56 PM   #6
rolex_pl85
Banned

Just looking at those photos of my watch being worked on like that would make be peeved off bigtime.

For sure they scratched some part of the watch, the dial or hands etc....this is a horrible setup to work on watches.

This is a reason why I dont want to deal with many sellers as they use watchsmiths that work within dirty environments whatever watch they work on would not be clean.

NY dealers are some of the worst. Its like a dirty warehouse where they all work on watches and they dont have a damn about how clean it is or not.

Heck I've seen some horrific actions by dealers and so called inhouse watchmakers that I'd only buy a watch that is BNIB or slider.
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 09:30 PM   #7
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Roger, sorry I made any noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbatman007 View Post
As said all their claims were debunked when the watch was inspected by Rolex.

Old 23 July 2023, 10:51 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thank you sharing your experience and sorry it happened.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 02:04 AM   #9
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I just deal exclusively with trusted sellers here. Moda? JV whatever? eBay? Other quick sellers? I think you fairly accept some of the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 07:45 AM   #10
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I just deal exclusively with trusted sellers here. Moda? JV whatever? eBay? Other quick sellers? I think you fairly accept some of the risk.

Absolutely right. Moda's rwg membership doesn't mean anything. You can no support from the admins or moderators in situations like these. All they care about is the revenue stream.

Old 24 July 2023, 09:27 AM   #11
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Disgusting work area. OP, be glad you got your watch back from them and piece of mind from RSC.
Old 24 July 2023, 09:31 AM   #12
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Disgusting work area. OP, be glad you got your watch back from them and piece of mind from RSC.
Thank you. Now that I have calmed down a bit, I find it hilarious that the guy is comparing spring bars to see if the watch is authentic and overlooking everything else . It is possible that they were everest spring bars bcz I had the watch on a leather strap at one point

Old 24 July 2023, 10:10 AM   #13
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbatman007 View Post
Absolutely right. Moda's rwg membership doesn't mean anything. You can no support from the admins or moderators in situations like these. All they care about is the revenue stream.

Just stay safe and sound within the cocoon of TRF trusted sellers and “mamma won’t let anyone dirty get through.” Glad you got this unwound.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andres baez , julian velez , jv timepieces , jvtimpieces