The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 01:21 AM   #1
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex 50mm Deepsea Challenge

I am pondering on a 126067 purchase and was curious on others thoughts on the pricing. So not a question of love it or hate it. Just a question on pricing. I will never get the "call", so my options are the grey market dealers.

These don't seem to be hot sellers, yes I know limited quantities, but they don't fly off the shelves.

So where did the $45k price come from? Did the greys have a powwow, spin a wheel and pick $45k? Why not $35K, or why not $65k?

I assume if they stop current production on the 126067, the price will increase, in theory, barring WWIII?

Just curious where this number comes from?

Thoughts?

jim
jimmyp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #2
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
Hey Jim,
Good question. When they first came out noone knew of their future and I traded a couple around the $38k number. Then it appeared that distribution was questionable. I bought a 2024 piece this summer, and stuck it in the safe. Not something I typically do, but thought what the heck. I listed it on C24, and if someone wanted to pay the price...$48k, I would let it go.
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #3
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Brian, thanks for the input. Yeah, I believe if I want one, I'll have to pay the premium. I was just curious where this premium came from, :) I see them sit on C24 and other places forever, but the price stays high.

jim
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I believe in the “low production, not flying off shelves” situation. I would ask as many ADs as you can for one and I think you’ll get one eventually.
The only one I’ve seen was an exhibition model at WOS Soho in New York right after they came out. When I asked the SA how demand was he confessed that no one had asked for one yet.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #5
CaptT
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I believe in the “low production, not flying off shelves” situation. I would ask as many ADs as you can for one and I think you’ll get one eventually.
The only one I’ve seen was an exhibition model at WOS Soho in New York right after they came out. When I asked the SA how demand was he confessed that no one had asked for one yet.
Agreed. OP, you should be able to get this from an AD in time, be patient. Very cool watch with amazing capabilities that also has very little demand due to its size. There should no be a need to go grey for this model, imo.

Good luck and please post pics when it arrives!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #6
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Problem is the only AD I used was in St. Louis, bought a couple watches from him. Moved away from that area six years ago and we entered the dark ages of no stock so I haven't used an AD since. I called two in the general area and was pretty much laughed at . . .So I think the AD is out. Unless someone on here gets offered one and passes it to me at MSRP :)
Old Today, 03:36 AM   #7
roks
"TRF" Member

It is called GREED and sometimes GREED IS GOOD!!!

People are having a hard time wearing the DeepSEA so you can imagine how
unfriendly the DS Challenger is. It makes the DEEPSEA look like a Datejust..

So just wait and prices will come down. Not too many people with cash lauying around to buy a watch that is so unfriendly.
roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #8
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Wait is always an option. At some point, 2018 might come back. But the Question is/was where does the price come from? Where is the spinning wheel that said $45K vs $35K vs $65K?

jim
Old Today, 04:13 AM   #9
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Visit a couple of ADs in person, no one will sell you anything ove the phone. It is low production but also low demand, they would probably like to have your name if they get one. My AD had one for a while, it sold eventually. I tried it myself, it was deep into clown watch territory on me, you need a massive wrist for it.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #10
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Tried that with the 2 or 3 AD's within 2 hours
Old Today, 04:29 AM   #11
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
I suspect you WOULD get the call at an AD. Not many people have a frame big enough to pull it off, therefore a low seller. As others have said, register with a couple of ADs, play the game and give it 6-9 moths and i bet you get the call.
I wouldn't be paying grey market for this reference
marmite2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:45 AM   #12
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, but given this low seller, my original question was where does the price come from?
Old Today, 05:07 AM   #13
APhound
"TRF" Member

It’s just like anything else. Briboxer explained it to you, he has one, you can buy it for 48 or he’ll keep it. Other owners/sellers set the price they are willing to let it go for. Maybe it will go up maybe it will go down. Same as anything else.
I wish you luck in finding one for a fair price. I think it would be a really cool thing to have. Point I would wear it very often but I would still like to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #14
rolex_DateJust
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes please!
Double post
Old Today, 05:48 AM   #15
rolex_DateJust
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes please!
To try and answer your question, I believe the pricing comes from the dealers, or person selling it, knows they are low production watches that not many people get to see or request one and aren't really sought after and they try and play the system with how much they can get out of it.
Old Today, 06:00 AM   #16
jimmyp11
2024 Pledge Member

I get it for the most part, I just find it curious that a watch that most consider unwearable fetches way above msrp. So I was just pondering why?