The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2020, 09:38 AM   #1
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Should I buy this Speedy?

Hi all,

First time luxury watch buyer. I've decided on a Speedy. I've tried on many iterations, but keep coming back to the original hesalite crystal with alligator strap.

I've looked for the past few weeks but have had trouble finding it as its being discontinued. My AD called me today and said he got one in - exactly what I'm looking for. He offered it to me at 16% off MSRP.

I'm considering pulling the trigger over the weekend but have a few questions. Hoping to get some advice.

-With the new speedy around the corner, is 16% appropriate? Or should I push for 20%?

-What will happen to the market on the outgoing model after the new model comes out? Will they rapidly depreciate?

-Since the outgoing model is stretching my budget as it is, is there any reason to wait for the new one to come out?

-Is there any downside to purchasing right before the watch is redone?

Thanks in advance!IMG_20201218_143246.jpgIMG_20201218_143257.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
eaf124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Cassidy776
Banned

A lot of questions for someone being able to purchase the supposed watch they want. Sounds like you're really not sure if you do want it.

What answer to your questions would you like that will have you move forward (or not)) with the purchase?? Let's say the AD says 'no" to the 20% discount, then what?? If you're already stretching your budget, rest assured the new model will cost much more. As to future appreciation or depreciation, who knows??
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 09:57 AM   #3
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
A lot of questions for someone being able to purchase the supposed watch they want. Sounds like you're really not sure if you do want it.

What answer to your questions would you like that will have you move forward (or not)) with the purchase?? Let's say the AD says 'no" to the 20% discount, then what?? If you're already stretching your budget, rest assured the new model will cost much more. As to future appreciation or depreciation, who knows??
Let me clarify. When I say stretching my budget, MSRP on this is above my comfort level, not to be confused with what I can afford. Regardless, thanks for your assumptions...

Yes, a lot of questions. Like previously mentioned, this is my FIRST luxury watch. I'm not an expert. Hoping others could offer some guidance since you're unwilling.

Old 19 December 2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure much of a difference to sweat it over 4% if you really like it. I would push for 20% and he could only say no. Omega makes a great watch but does not have the same value retention as a rolex but you are already buying a good discount. Buy it to enjoy. It def looks like a nice watch. I have Seen it before and also liked it on the strap.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:07 AM   #5
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Not sure much of a difference to sweat it over 4% if you really like it. I would push for 20% and he could only say no. Omega makes a great watch but does not have the same value retention as a rolex but you are already buying a good discount. Buy it to enjoy. It def looks like a nice watch. I have Seen it before and also liked it on the strap.
Thanks for the reply. If he says no, then ill take it at 16%. For some reason, I thought I recalled a few people telling stories of getting 20%+ off, so just wanted to be sure I wasn't unnecessarily overpaying.

Old 19 December 2020, 10:14 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Should I buy this Speedy?

Once you try it on, and they are ready to hear “l’ll take it”, make sure he states the discounted price out loud. Then ask, can we bump that to $xxxx if I pay cash? (You need to have that number in your head)

You just gave him air cover to accept your counteroffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaf124 View Post
Let me clarify. When I say stretching my budget, MSRP on this is above my comfort level, not to be confused with what I can afford. Regardless, thanks for your assumptions...

Yes, a lot of questions. Like previously mentioned, this is my FIRST luxury watch. I'm not an expert. Hoping others could offer some guidance since you're unwilling.

Even if someone else got 20% doesn't mean you will so ask for as much off as reasonably possible until the AD says no. I never said you couldn't afford the watch, I just answered the question that the new version will be considerably more. Again, answering any question about future prices is nothing more than
one's speculation and assumption........sounds like since the price isn't an issue for your budget, wait for the new version unless this really is the watch you've decided on.
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:29 AM   #8
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
16% is great, go for it. There will be less discount in the future
Old 19 December 2020, 10:40 AM   #9
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Once you try it on, and they are ready to hear “l’ll take it”, make sure he states the discounted price out loud. Then ask, can we bump that to $xxxx if I pay cash? (You need to have that number in your head)

You just gave him air cover to accept your counteroffer.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good plan. If he says no, I'll still buy it at 16%. Just wanted to be sure the deal was fair/reasonable.

Old 19 December 2020, 10:45 AM   #10
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
Even if someone else got 20% doesn't mean you will so ask for as much off as reasonably possible until the AD says no. I never said you couldn't afford the watch, I just answered the question that the new version will be considerably more. Again, answering any question about future prices is nothing more than

one's speculation and assumption........sounds like since the price isn't an issue for your budget, wait for the new version unless this really is the watch you've decided on.
Coming from the car world, I wasn't sure if it was as simple as "don't buy right before the new model comes out because the old one will be discounted." Sounds like the watch world works differently.

Old 19 December 2020, 10:45 AM   #11
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
16% is great, go for it. There will be less discount in the future
Thanks!

Old 19 December 2020, 10:46 AM   #12
77T

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good plan. If he says no, I'll still buy it at 16%. Just wanted to be sure the deal was fair/reasonable.

Sure but if the answer to your lower number is no, then the follow-up is, “if that’s too low for a cash payment, what could you do?”

And if that fails, then pull out the card that gives you the most cash back value. In a way, you’re taking half back of the extra 4% you wished for.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:56 AM   #13
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Getting 16% on a Speedmaster is a good deal, especially now since it has been discontinued!! You might get 20%+ on AT or Deville abut not on a Speedy!
That is the original version, so in my honest opinion the best version out there. If you like it go for it.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 11:07 AM   #14
-dustin

I’d take the 16% and not haggle. Use a card that gives cash back to make up some of the difference.

When I was in sales, I didn’t like when, even after offering a pretty decent discount, I was asked to go lower. Those customers...I didn’t forget them. And they rarely got hook-ups further down the road.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 11:53 AM   #15
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
The current model’s value could go up, down or stay the same.

The new model will be even more expensive than the current model but it will have some upgrades and be 1mm thinner.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 11:57 AM   #16
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
If you like it, just go for it. What’s a couple hundred bucks when you’re already spending a few thousand? 16% is very reasonable IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 12:56 PM   #17
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Sure but if the answer to your lower number is no, then the follow-up is, “if that’s too low for a cash payment, what could you do?”

And if that fails, then pull out the card that gives you the most cash back value. In a way, you’re taking half back of the extra 4% you wished for.

Great advice! Will let you know how it works out.

Old 19 December 2020, 12:57 PM   #18
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodzex View Post
Getting 16% on a Speedmaster is a good deal, especially now since it has been discontinued!! You might get 20%+ on AT or Deville abut not on a Speedy!

That is the original version, so in my honest opinion the best version out there. If you like it go for it.
Thanks for the reply - will probably purchase it.

Old 19 December 2020, 03:44 PM   #19
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Go for it! Just got my Hesalite Speedy last week, and it has quickly become my favorite from my collection. Not sure why I waited so long to purchase one. It’s a beauty!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 03:46 PM   #20
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
Go for it! Just got my Hesalite Speedy last week, and it has quickly become my favorite from my collection. Not sure why I waited so long to purchase one. It’s a beauty!
Congratulations! Enjoy it - it's a beautiful watch!

Old 19 December 2020, 05:23 PM   #21
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yea, there’s a lot of snobs on this forum. It’s the part that I don’t like about TRF. I don’t know if it’s a Rolex thing or what, but it’s weird to me that people don’t understand others may have limited funds or might not be 100% super fanatic about watches.

Anyways, my two cents.

20% can be had for Omegas. Every AD is different though, and I’m sure timing is also varied by AD as well in whether they need to move pieces. People have been talking about the 1861 being discontinued for more than a year now, but it really seems that it will happen soon now. Omega CEO talked about a new moonwatch coming out in 2021, and there’s been leaked spec sheets that OBs have confirmed that the reference number is legit. Also you can see some of the 1861 moonwatchs are no longer available on omegas website. So seems like the current model will be gone in the next 6 months or so.

So with that said, i think you’re making the right move about pulling the trigger with 16% off of you can’t get 20%, because if you want this model you likely won’t easily (or at all) find this watch new for 20% off somewhere else.

As for the debate about getting current vs new version, it’s a personal choice. So many reasons to go one vs the other. Some people like vintage, some people like new technology. Specific to the moonwatch, people will say the 1861 is more “true” to the moonwatch and was actually flight qualified. The 3861 has a lot better technology though. Hacking seconds, coaxial movement with much better precision given metas certification, anti magnetism, and the new tapered bracelet is really nice.

For me, I like better technology and the tapered bracelet is so much more elegant. I’d go for the new one. But I’m also a metal band guy. So everyone has their own personal preference and taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 09:44 PM   #22
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Excellent choice. 16% is fair in today's market (demand for that model seems to be up at the moment, and your AD is probably ready to offer it to the next person on his list if you turn it down).

That's the model I wear, and I absolutely love my watch. I think you'll be really pleased with your choice.

One important point: make sure and test the feel of that watch's crown by winding the movement; effort required to twist the crown and wind the movement varies across individual examples of the Speedmaster Pro, and you'll want to be sure the one you're purchasing twists easily enough. Some of us here have had examples that were extraordinarily stiff, and this can actually spoil the joy of winding and wearing the Speedmaster Pro each day.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:36 PM   #23
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would ask for 20% and if they say yes then good for you. If they say yes or no I would ask for a couple of OEM NATO straps. Most AD's have the ability to add these straps and it will save you $160.00 a strap in the future. If they say no to 20% and add two straps you are really close to your 20% off. Great watch and I would pick it up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 11:23 PM   #24
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Watches aren't exactly like the car world. New technology is great, but at the end of the day you just need to know the time. The Speedy has been "outdated" for years, decades probably. No one cares. It's appeal lies in its story, iconic look, etc. I would get this one. You're paying less than they'll cost in the future and you're getting a brand new Moonwatch.

For me, the place where technology really comes in helpful is in bracelet design. Modern, adjustable bracelets have changed me from someone who almost exclusively wore watches with leather straps to someone who much prefers bracelets. But the best part of Omega is that they'll probably make sure that the bracelet for the next Moonwatch will fit the old one, so you can always upgrade that component down the line if you'd like.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 11:49 PM   #25
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Congrats on the new speedy that you will be buying (I presume) today.

16% is a good discount.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 01:01 AM   #26
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
You are making the right choice. The current speedy, has logged thousands of hours in space, unchanged basically since 1969 and is the real deal. The new one, is farther from the moonwatch, may never see space, and has not yet to anyone knowledge be NASA tested/approved. The new version may end up being more of an homage piece to the current speedy if it never sees space.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 01:31 AM   #27
agsstructures

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this but does he have the bracelet version? If it were me I would purchase it on the bracelet and buy the deployment/strap separate (later if it stretches your budget too much)

Its just expensive to buy the bracelet after the fact so just something to consider.

Good luck and congrats in advance its a classic!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 06:56 AM   #28
eaf124
"TRF" Member

Thank you all very much for your help. Went back to the AD today, and he gladly agreed to 20% off.

Right watch, right time, right price - I had to buy it.

I am overjoyed and am looking forward to wearing this for many years to come!

Happy holidays everyone, and best wishes for 2021.IMG_20201219_155602.jpg

Old 20 December 2020, 07:10 AM   #29
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Thank you all very much for your help. Went back to the AD today, and he gladly agreed to 20% off.

Right watch, right time, right price - I had to buy it.

I am overjoyed and am looking forward to wearing this for many years to come!

Happy holidays everyone, and best wishes for 2021.Attachment 1191690

Awesome that it worked out even better for you.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 08:41 AM   #30
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. Good choice.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote