The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2024, 10:04 AM   #1
911cv
"TRF" Member

AD asked for my Driver’s License…

At an AD in Mexico. I asked if they had a particular watch in stock and he said “I think so,” then requested to see my drivers license before checking their inventory (he said it was store policy to do this). Not thinking much about a request to “see” my license, I pulled it out and set it on the counter. After doing this, he pulled out what appeared to be his personal cell phone to take a picture. I grabbed my license off the counter and refused to let him take a picture of it.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? Seems kind of like an invasive thing to do just to check the store’s inventory for a watch.
911cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:10 AM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911cv View Post
At an AD in Mexico. I asked if they had a particular watch in stock and he said “I think so,” then requested to see my drivers license before checking their inventory (he said it was store policy to do this). Not thinking much about a request to “see” my license, I pulled it out and set it on the counter. After doing this, he pulled out what appeared to be his personal cell phone to take a picture. I grabbed my license off the counter and refused to let him take a picture of it.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? Seems kind of like an invasive thing to do just to check the store’s inventory for a watch.
If I was purchasing and they asked for Passport, that is normal but to photograph my ID simply while inquiring? No way. Would have done what you did.
Old 8 July 2024, 10:22 AM   #3
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:

Sounds weird! The only time I’ve ever been asked for a photo of my D. L., was when test driving a new car.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:34 AM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
While purchasing, I've been asked for ID or obvious reasons. Never when asking about inventory. Not sure what privacy laws or norms are in Mexico. I'd also be curious for others to chime in.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 12:16 PM   #5
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Are you Mexican? I feel like that is an important part of the story.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 12:27 PM   #6
911cv
"TRF" Member

-

I’m not Mexican — I’m American (born and raised). And he caught a glimpse of my TX drivers license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Are you Mexican? I feel like that is an important part of the story.
911cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 12:28 PM   #7
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
SA's at Mexican AD's use their personal phone for business. I have about 2 or 3 saved on my phone and I often see their status on WhatsApp. I have purchased from Ultra in the past and was blatantly profiled prior to being offered a watch.

I had to explain where I lived, what other Rolex watches I owned, where I purchased them from, what my occupation was, a copy of my ID and finally, what other watch besides the Rolex would I be interested in.

After I submitted all the info, I was told - You can come pick up both pieces (The Rolex and The Speedy) - I guess it's part of their vetting and bundling process.
Old 8 July 2024, 12:38 PM   #8
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
No thanks!
Old 8 July 2024, 12:39 PM   #9
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not Mexican — I’m American (born and raised). And he caught a glimpse of my TX drivers license.

In that case, I don’t see a huge issue. As mentioned above, I’ve seen ADs use their cell phone to take pictures for business purposes.
Also, as a foreigner going into a shop to buy something I expect to have to show a passport or other ID. Whether it’s at the beginning or end of the process doesn’t matter much.

Also, who knows. Maybe they have had folks try to bolt with the watch while trying it on. So they get ID ahead of time.
Old 8 July 2024, 12:41 PM   #10
daysky1
"TRF" Member

It kind of reminds me of experience I had with the watch box. And purchase the Rolex Submariner, and if I remember right I had okayed the PayPal to transfer the money, then the person selling me the watch told me that the fraud department at the watch box wanted to make sure that I was financially capable of paying for the watch, after submitting three different accounts with multiple totals that amounted to much more than the watch was being sold to me for, the sales rep finally said okay I'll sell you the watch. I have never had such an experience with anyone, I have purchased from David SW, and I have purchased from jomashop, and I have purchased from Lana's jewelry and from gajentis no one had a problem with whether I was able to pay for the watch. I did hesitate to transfer money via wire and they accepted a personal check to wait for it to clear it on their end before sending me to watch I was okay with that.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 12:47 PM   #11
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Could be a security procedure they have in place in case you just ran out of store with the watch. There might be cameras in the ceiling that would capture this but the photo with phone is interesting. Unless they use a business only phone for that.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 01:47 PM   #12
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

An out-of-country SA taking a picture of your drivers license sounds like a great way for them to pass along your address to a “friend” to rob you once you’re home, especially if you’re buying an especially pricey piece.

Taking a look to verify you’re a local, or that you are who you say you are, ok. Taking a picture with a store tablet - MAYBE after asking for my permission. But on their personal phone?! Not a chance.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 01:52 PM   #13
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I’m thinking it’s a security measure because it’s less likely for you to take the watch and run if they identify you first. If that’s the case, they should inform you of what they’re doing first.
Old 8 July 2024, 01:56 PM   #14
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
An out-of-country SA taking a picture of your drivers license sounds like a great way for them to pass along your address to a “friend” to rob you once you’re home, especially if you’re buying an especially pricey piece.

Taking a look to verify you’re a local, or that you are who you say you are, ok. Taking a picture with a store tablet - MAYBE after asking for my permission. But on their personal phone?! Not a chance.

People are too paranoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 July 2024, 01:57 PM   #15
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Definitely sounds a little strange. Any misunderstanding could have been avoided with a simple explanation from the AD as to why they needed the photo
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 02:02 PM   #16
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
the person selling me the watch told me that the fraud department at the watch box wanted to make sure that I was financially capable of paying for the watch, after submitting three different accounts with multiple totals that amounted to much more than the watch was being sold to me for, the sales rep finally said okay I'll sell you the watch.
That’s crazy on so many levels. High end real estate sometimes requires potential buyers to provide a financial letter from their lawyer confirming they can afford the home before showing the property. But showing your bank account balance three times over to buy a Sub is insanity.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 02:40 PM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Yep! Sounds like ultrajewels. No show, no watch.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 03:06 PM   #18
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They asked for my license at Watches of Switzerland in Hudson Yard, New York City. No photos taken of the license.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 03:45 PM   #19
stnken
"TRF" Member

I've never had any AD request to see my DL, let alone take a picture of it. Very sus imo
stnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 04:02 PM   #20
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

When I take a tour of apartments, they make a copy of my license. When I test drive a car, they make a copy of my license. When I go to a bar and ask for the darts they take my license. I imagine all these things happen because bad things have happened in the past and they want to verify the actual person who is standing in front of them. Is it outside the realm of possibility that someone tried on a watch and then ran out of the store?

And for those who say it’s different because the guy is using a cellphone, is it? If it’s a store issued tablet, the same employee still has access to it and can write the info later. If they make a copy, again, the employee can simply take a picture of that later. Hell, even if you give it to him for ten seconds to verify your identity, he can memorize the info.

And I truly can’t imagine that the SA at a jeweler in Mexico has the criminal network to target a random walk in foreigner and have people in the place the customer lives to organize a heist.

People are way too paranoid. The store has much more to fear from you, a random unknown, than you do from it, an established business.
Old 8 July 2024, 05:05 PM   #21
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnken View Post
I've never had any AD request to see my DL, let alone take a picture of it. Very sus imo
An AD stateside asked for my DL at the point of sale, its normal practice I think as the purchase was made on my credit card, but no pics.

In Asia, they would just ask for your passport as ID that matches the name of the credit card. The AD will photocopy your passport ID upon point of sale.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 05:29 PM   #22
Piker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
When I take a tour of apartments, they make a copy of my license. When I test drive a car, they make a copy of my license. When I go to a bar and ask for the darts they take my license. I imagine all these things happen because bad things have happened in the past and they want to verify the actual person who is standing in front of them. Is it outside the realm of possibility that someone tried on a watch and then ran out of the store?

And for those who say it’s different because the guy is using a cellphone, is it? If it’s a store issued tablet, the same employee still has access to it and can write the info later. If they make a copy, again, the employee can simply take a picture of that later. Hell, even if you give it to him for ten seconds to verify your identity, he can memorize the info.

And I truly can’t imagine that the SA at a jeweler in Mexico has the criminal network to target a random walk in foreigner and have people in the place the customer lives to organize a heist.

People are way too paranoid. The store has much more to fear from you, a random unknown, than you do from it, an established business.
This is true but I will be a little paranoid if the SA is using personal cell phone and without explananation.
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 06:12 PM   #23
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

My AD (UK Goldsmiths c/o WoS) asked to see my ID when updating my profile, I had my driving license with me that day.

I obliged because:

- I have nothing to hide
- Goldsmiths SA's aren't working with the underground gangs to rob me when I get home
- We have privacy laws in the UK that prevent them from sharing things they shouldn't

I don't really get ppl getting their knickers in a twist about it, there are loads of instances where I've had to show ID for certain things, it really isn't that deep. Nobody from an AD is trying to steal your identity, put the tinfoil hat down
Old 8 July 2024, 06:56 PM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I lived in Mexico for a while and nobody asked to do that. I would definitely NOT allow it either lol
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 08:52 PM   #25
Littletommy

Probably going to send your address details to his friends in the states so they can 'check the inventory' at your property while you're not there.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:02 PM   #26
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

It wouldn’t have bothered me.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:10 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
So what happened? Did you leave the store?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:16 PM   #28
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:

I remember my AD asked this back in the day when we started working together. It contains address and stuff.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:17 PM   #29
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I have had requests to photo my drivers license but would never do that, because once you walk away they will have that photo forever. No Thanks
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 10:21 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
So to everyone saying they wouldn’t allow a copy of their I.D. …

Let’s say for sake of argument the AD offers you the watch you want (let’s go whole Hogg and say the Le Mans Daytona) … would you still refuse to allow them to photo your drivers license?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote