The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Thai
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
Parachrom Hairspring and Why it is so Good!

Thanks to another member on the Omega forum, i found this cool little video: http://watchmakingblog.com/2008/10/17/parachrom-video/

This should put to rest some of the arguments regarding PC hairspring vs. Nivarox hairspring. PC is indeed significantly better...and it is not just a marketing ploy by Rolex, as implied by few members with the older movements.

I must say...i now want Si hairspring in my Omega and PC in my Rolex!
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I can't speak for much more than my experience, but the movement (including the blue PC spring) is much more accurate than the other three in my stable.

Also, I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the Deepsea is the only watch that appears to follow the "placement" guidelines. For example, the DS does seem to gain a few on its back, and lose more when on it's side (crown up), and less crown down...

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 02:57 PM   #3
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Interesting info!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 02:59 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
......but the movement (including the blue PC spring) is much more accurate than the other three in my stable.

Also, I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the Deepsea is the only watch that appears to follow the "placement" guidelines. For example, the DS does seem to gain a few on its back, and lose more when on it's side (crown up), and less crown down...
Yes, I can definitely vouch for the superior accuracy, in fact ZERO deviation, on my TT GMT-IIC and V-series Exp-II with the 3186 movement.

Funnily, howver, the two work in opposite ways with placement of the watch.

The GMT-IIC runs slow crown DOWN, while the Exp-II gains when placed crown DOWN. Of course the loss and gain is very insignificant, but it's puzzling how the same movement acts in different ways in 2 different watches.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Yes, I can definitely vouch for the superior accuracy, in fact ZERO deviation, on my TT GMT-IIC and V-series Exp-II with the 3186 movement.

The GMT-IIC runs slow crown DOWN, while the Exp-II gains when placed crown DOWN. Of course the loss and gain is very insignificant, but it's puzzling how the same movement acts in different ways in 2 different watches.

JJ
That's great to hear. I have to wonder why Rolex did not go with Si14?? I know that Silicon is hard to produce in large amounts...i wonder if that is why Rolex went with PC because Rolex can make lots of it?? Anyway, with the PC hairspring, i don't see any disadvanage over Si14.
Old 15 February 2010, 11:05 PM   #6
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
Cool little video, however I am perfectly satisfied with my EXP-IIs performance using the junky old Nivarox spring.
DRAWTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 11:14 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
One thing I can tell you: My 3186 movement in GMT ll Pepsi has gained only 3 seconds in 3 weeks--That is far better than most I have owned.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 11:52 PM   #8
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:

JJ
Interesting! I have a similar experience from my two 3186. Very consistent, but different behaviour when it comes to position. Haven't figured out why yet.
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2010, 11:54 PM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I can't speak for much more than my experience, but the movement (including the blue PC spring) is much more accurate than the other three in my stable.

I've noticed the same thing Jim.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 01:29 AM   #10
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Interesting video... thanks for sharing~
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 01:52 AM   #11
sparky_magoo

Watch: Deep Sea
Does the PC hairspring make the Milgauss obsolete?
sparky_magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 02:34 AM   #12
LouS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Black
The Milgauss has a parachrom hairspring, does it not?
LouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 02:37 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouS View Post
The Milgauss has a parachrom hairspring, does it not?
Definitely does!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 16 February 2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Definitely does!!
Is the hairspring the only thing that can get magnetized in a mechanical watch?? I think that other parts (steel) in the watch can get magnetized and affect performance??? I think that the hairspring is a biggie in terms of magnetism, which i think Si4 and PC solved.
Old 16 February 2010, 02:44 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Is the hairspring the only thing that can get magnetized in a mechanical watch?? I think that other parts (steel) in the watch can get magnetized and affect performance??? I think that the hairspring is a biggie in terms of magnetism, which i think Si4 and PC solved.
You're right, but the Milgauss would also be equipped with a powerful anti-magnetic inner shield covering the movement.

JJ

Old 16 February 2010, 02:52 AM   #16
Thai
Banned

Quote:
You're right, but the Milgauss would also be equipped with a powerful anti-magnetic inner shield covering the movement.

JJ
Sorry JJ, i misunderstood you. I thought that you answered the other member who stated that the PC made the Milgauss obsolete, which i think that it does not.
Old 16 February 2010, 03:05 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Well in over 30 years of Rolex wearing and working around strong magnets
capable of picking up 20 plus tons.Myself have never experienced any form of magnetising in any watch I was wearing.And now working in strong magnetic fields with high power radio equipment again no problem with any Rolex modern or vintage.Rolex watches are made mainly from S.steel or precious metals and in conjunction with nickel, brass or beryllium, bronze or Glucydur balance wheels so they were very anti-magnetic to begin.Sure the Nivourax hairsrings were very very very slightly magnetic.But today there must be millions upon millions of them around and without any problems.But as long as you don't wear your watch dial down with the back off with a magnet dangling over movement.Then like a placebo test if you did not know whats inside case I would doubt if you would fine any difference in the every day real world of watch wearing.With quite a few older Rolex running to a couple of seconds a day or less.One Rolex Unicorn 88 years old and still running to just a few seconds a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 03:15 AM   #18
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Wonder why all my old crappy Nivarox hairspring equipped watches run so accurately?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 03:28 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Wonder why all my old crappy Nivourax hairspring equipped watches run so accurately?
dP
Quite simple Dan because you don't wear your watch dial down with back off
with a magnet dangling over movement.And because all the Rolex movements
since the 1950s have shown tremendous accuracy and longevity of life.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 16 February 2010, 03:29 AM   #20
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

An interesting video, thanks for sharing
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 04:08 AM   #21
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I heard that the material used in the new hairsprings if from alien technology.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 04:12 AM   #22
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Mexico? China?
Old 16 February 2010, 04:17 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

JJ
So what you are saying JJ your watches self regulate in different positions.So in fact they are not ZERO deviation.If you left them in the same position there would be some gain or loss correct.???

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 16 February 2010, 04:27 AM   #24
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I didn't really hear that but the subject reminded me of seeing a show on tv about material that was reported to be from a UFO and that it wasn't effected by magnetic fields.

http://alienufoparanormal.aliencaseb...o-hunters.aspx

http://aliencasebook.blogspot.com/20...cs-in-its.html
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 07:41 AM   #25
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Wonder why all my old crappy Nivarox hairspring equipped watches run so accurately?
dP

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Fofo

Watch: Explorer II
Excellent video! Thank you for sharing it, very interesting and educational.

Fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 10:14 AM   #27
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
while it may indeed be anti-magnetic, i'm not sure it's inherently more accurate. anecdotal evidence does not make an assertion so. cosc records might shed more light on this subject...
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 11:25 AM   #28
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in over 30 years of Rolex wearing and working around strong magnets
capable of picking up 20 plus tons.Myself have never experienced any form of magnetising in any watch I was wearing.And now working in strong magnetic fields with high power radio equipment again no problem with any Rolex modern or vintage.Rolex watches are made mainly from S.steel or precious metals and in conjunction with nickel, brass or beryllium, bronze or Glucydur balance wheels so they were very anti-magnetic to begin.Sure the Nivourax hairsrings were very very very slightly magnetic.But today there must be millions upon millions of them around and without any problems.But as long as you don't wear your watch dial down with the back off with a magnet dangling over movement.Then like a placebo test if you did not know whats inside case I would doubt if you would fine any difference in the every day real world of watch wearing.With quite a few older Rolex running to a couple of seconds a day or less.One Rolex Unicorn 88 years old and still running to just a few seconds a day.
Just chalk it up to the 3186 (and like calibers with PC hairspring) being overbuilt for the purpose...isn't that what we all want in our Rolex??? And now, the movement is truly 100% in-house...with actual evidence to backup the benefit of the PC hairspring.

Think of it this way...PC has made the Rolex impervious to yet another source of problem (magnetism)...and depending on who you talk to, magnetism is probably the BIGGEST issue facing a watch that goes bongers. (I say this because the 3185 and older caliber owners will say that magnetism never happens, while the newer caliber owners will say otherwise.) Regardless, i think that most watchmakers will agree that magnetism is an important fact of life of a mechanical watch .
Old 16 February 2010, 11:27 AM   #29
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
while it may indeed be anti-magnetic, i'm not sure it's inherently more accurate. anecdotal evidence does not make an assertion so. cosc records might shed more light on this subject...
Maybe it is more precise over the long haul?? It is totally anti-magnetic AND stronger than the Nivarox hairspring...aka, the benefits of Si14 without the high cost and low production numbers.
Old 16 February 2010, 11:45 AM   #30
sparky_magoo

Watch: Deep Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Is this an example of reverse engineering from Area 51?
sparky_magoo is offline   Reply With Quote