The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 December 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Question to all manual Patek owners

This will be about my concerns on such issues about manually wound Pateks that you may call "logistics concerns". When it comes to owning a manual Patek, and wearing it regularly, how does it work exactly? I know it may sound silly to ask this, but here's why. I do have a manual watch, an Omega Speedmaster from '69 that I do wear at least once a week. I wind it every morning, before leaving for work. It's quite an affordable watch (when compared to most Pateks), it's not too pricy to get it serviced, and its winding crown is made of steel, so I have no problem winding it once a day. And if I happen to forget to wind it for a few days, it's not too difficult to set the time again -- and there's no other complication to hassle with.

When it comes to manual Pateks, especially complicated ones (AC, PC, PC Chrono), how do you deal with the issue of winding? Do you wind it every day or every second day, even if you don't wear it that often? Doesn't it wear down the precious metal winding crown in a few years? If so, will you (or did you) get the crown replaced during service? And if you wind it regularly, do you take it out of the safe like every morning, wind it, and put it back there? To me it seems like quite a hassle, especially if the safe is not in an easy to reach place (like hidden somewhere).

Or, do you just leave the watch wind down, and only wind it right before you wear it, like once a week or once a month? Again, I'm talking about mainly complicated Pateks here, so I assume at least some of the owners wear more sporty, more affordable watches daily, and take out the special Patek mostly for special occasions. So, if you wind it before you wear it, then you would have to set every little bits of the movement before taking off. Isn't it a lot of hassle? Or you just take your time before leaving, and it adds some more "spice" to the special occasion of getting to wear the time piece?

Please understand that I'm not trying to find excuses to avoid manual watches or manual Pateks, and I'm not trying to criticise them at all. I would love to own a Patek (only owned an automatic AP from the "holy trinity" before), but my emotions draw me to the full experience of the beautiful movements, so I'd prefer to have no rotor in the way, hence I'm looking for a manual movement. 5170J and 3970J are my favorites. I'm merely trying to understand what it takes to own and wear such watches. I know it would be easier to just pick an automatic Patek that I can leave on the winder and never having to deal with the winding issue or setting issue anymore, but I feel that base is already covered with my Rolex and my future Royal Oak 15202ST.

Thank you for your replies
Old 24 December 2014, 12:15 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I wind them when I wear them. For my 5970R it takes a few minutes to reset and very easy to do for Chrono simple of course. I enjoy winding them and resetting is simple and quick! Nothing for me like a manual watch. I do same with my AC's as well and other auto movements. Very easy to do and no different in my opinion. I do not use winders and keep my watches in bank safe deposit box so whatever I wear I wind. Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2014, 02:52 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

All the current model Patek AC and PCs are self-wind watches, aka automatic. Only the perpetual chrono 5270 is a manual wind. The 5170 are manual chronos, but they only have the time to set if it stops.

The 5270 takes a few steps to set the day, date, leap year, time, moonphase after it stops, but not a big deal.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2014, 06:30 AM   #4
el1125
Banned

Agree w the above replies
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
My questions about the manual wind PP have been answered. Thanks
Old 25 December 2014, 04:33 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Whatever the brand I love manual watches, especially with see through case back, unfortunately the 3 I wear now are all auto, I had 2 Pams which were manual, 233 and 82, I would love one day to have a manual from PP or ALS
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I wind them when I wear them. For my 5970R it takes a few minutes to reset and very easy to do for Chrono simple of course. I enjoy winding them and resetting is simple and quick!
Well... I haven't got the instruction manual for the CH 27-70 Q movement (of 3970 or 5970), but the manual for the 5270 quite frankly doesn't seem to indicate an easy procedure to set all aspects of the watch. It seems to have a strict order, and messing it up may harm the movement I suppose. I'm not trying to be dumb, but can you please explain what exactly has to be done to make the watch "catch up" if you let's say leave it sitting for 7 days? Is it a series of pushes at different pushers, or just a single pusher has to be pushed 7 times to advance the date, and that's it? Again: I'm not a dumb guy, I'm just not sure if the instruction manual exaggerates the complication of the calendar setting procedure. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
All the current model Patek AC and PCs are self-wind watches, aka automatic. Only the perpetual chrono 5270 is a manual wind.
Thanks for the info. It never occured to me how few manual watches does Patek offer in the non-Calatrava ranges. I assumed there's at least one AC and one PC model with a manual movement. But as it seems, if you want to have a spectacular movement with no rotor to block the view, and you don't want or could spend a couple of fortunes on the watch, it's a very short list...
Old 25 December 2014, 10:15 AM   #8
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Thank you guys for the answers.

Well... I haven't got the instruction manual for the CH 27-70 Q movement (of 3970 or 5970), but the manual for the 5270 quite frankly doesn't seem to indicate an easy procedure to set all aspects of the watch. It seems to have a strict order, and messing it up may harm the movement I suppose. I'm not trying to be dumb, but can you please explain what exactly has to be done to make the watch "catch up" if you let's say leave it sitting for 7 days? Is it a series of pushes at different pushers, or just a single pusher has to be pushed 7 times to advance the date, and that's it? Again: I'm not a dumb guy, I'm just not sure if the instruction manual exaggerates the complication of the calendar setting procedure. Thank you

Thanks for the info. It never occured to me how few manual watches does Patek offer in the non-Calatrava ranges. I assumed there's at least one AC and one PC model with a manual movement. But as it seems, if you want to have a spectacular movement with no rotor to block the view, and you don't want or could spend a couple of fortunes on the watch, it's a very short list...
Simple: Set the date, then day and then moon in that order. You set them after watch is wound and time is set. Make sure you don't do between 5:30 and 2:00 am. Only change is if you don't wear for over a year or more than a month, then you set leap year and month first then do in order of date, day and moon. Yes different locations for each and yes super simple to do. I can do in a minute or two. It is same for all perpetual chrono's and again very easy and quick once you do do it one time. So which are you planning on getting?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 December 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Wind all of mine twice a week.
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 04:58 AM   #10
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Simple: Set the date, then day and then moon in that order. You set them after watch is wound and time is set. Make sure you don't do between 5:30 and 2:00 am. Only change is if you don't wear for over a year or more than a month, then you set leap year and month first then do in order of date, day and moon. Yes different locations for each and yes super simple to do. I can do in a minute or two. It is same for all perpetual chrono's and again very easy and quick once you do do it one time. So which are you planning on getting?
Thank you :) It doesn't seem to be all that simple, but maybe once you did it a few times, it is as easy as remembering 10-digit phone numbers or such My eyes and heart are set on the 3970. I have a slim wrist, so my ideal size is 38-40mm for sports watches, and 36-38mm for dress watches, so a few other amazing models like 5970, 5270, 5204, 5070 sadly are out of question. I also like the 3970 because it's not all that difficult to source, and not that rare. I'm a bit afraid that with a very sought after, very rare model I'd just be afraid of wearing it, and the watch would sit in the safe 364 days a year. I better stick to something relatively common, and the 3970 with its long manufacturing period seems to tick all the boxes. Another option may be the 5170, but at this time I have a hard time justifying its price tag. I'm also quite surprised to see the 5170 being an unpopular model, something that collectors try to avoid. I'm fairly certain that it's not because there's anything wrong with the watch, but deep down it makes me wonder about whether it is the right choice... Anyway, whether it is gonna be a 3970 or 5170, I'm leaning towards the J version right now, and would avoid the rhodium plated 3970G. But maybe a future 5170P with a stunning navy blue or antracite dial would change my mind...

One thing I try to avoid is hoarding up various Patek models. I fear if I start with the entry-level but otherwise stunning 5127J (which I adore), I'll immediately start craving for a complication, like annual calendar or manual chrono. And if I then get a 5146 or 5170, I'll start craving for a perpetual calendar, etc. etc. I _think_ I'd be better off going for hunting down the "big fish" right away. Of course I may be completely alone with that approach I just feel like a PC Chrono is the ultimate Patek complication for me, one that _may_ be attainable in a few years from now (if everything goes well). But anything beyond that, like 5004 or minute repeaters seem uber expensive and completely unreachable even in the next 20 years, so no point dreaming about them or setting them as a long term goal.
Old 26 December 2014, 05:09 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
This is my dress watch, it may be worn daily but it will not be my daily wear.
For a dress watch, a manual wind Patek, time only/chrono is perfect for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acme-.jpg (128.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg acme-3.jpg (160.2 KB, 192 views)
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 06:51 AM   #12
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
This is my dress watch, it may be worn daily but it will not be my daily wear.
For a dress watch, a manual wind Patek, time only/chrono is perfect for me.
Such beautiful shots will not make me want an automatic watch
Old 26 December 2014, 07:01 AM   #13
HL65

Quote:
Such beautiful shots will not make me want an automatic watch
5970R:

5070J:

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 26 December 2014, 08:22 AM   #14
HL65

Quote:
Thank you :) It doesn't seem to be all that simple, but maybe once you did it a few times, it is as easy as remembering 10-digit phone numbers or such My eyes and heart are set on the 3970. I have a slim wrist, so my ideal size is 38-40mm for sports watches, and 36-38mm for dress watches, so a few other amazing models like 5970, 5270, 5204, 5070 sadly are out of question. I also like the 3970 because it's not all that difficult to source, and not that rare. I'm a bit afraid that with a very sought after, very rare model I'd just be afraid of wearing it, and the watch would sit in the safe 364 days a year. I better stick to something relatively common, and the 3970 with its long manufacturing period seems to tick all the boxes. Another option may be the 5170, but at this time I have a hard time justifying its price tag. I'm also quite surprised to see the 5170 being an unpopular model, something that collectors try to avoid. I'm fairly certain that it's not because there's anything wrong with the watch, but deep down it makes me wonder about whether it is the right choice... Anyway, whether it is gonna be a 3970 or 5170, I'm leaning towards the J version right now, and would avoid the rhodium plated 3970G. But maybe a future 5170P with a stunning navy blue or antracite dial would change my mind...

One thing I try to avoid is hoarding up various Patek models. I fear if I start with the entry-level but otherwise stunning 5127J (which I adore), I'll immediately start craving for a complication, like annual calendar or manual chrono. And if I then get a 5146 or 5170, I'll start craving for a perpetual calendar, etc. etc. I _think_ I'd be better off going for hunting down the "big fish" right away. Of course I may be completely alone with that approach I just feel like a PC Chrono is the ultimate Patek complication for me, one that _may_ be attainable in a few years from now (if everything goes well). But anything beyond that, like 5004 or minute repeaters seem uber expensive and completely unreachable even in the next 20 years, so no point dreaming about them or setting them as a long term goal.
3970 is a fantastic watch I had a 3970P before I traded it to get my 5970R.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 26 December 2014, 07:58 PM   #15
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

My first PP was a 5170G, I adore it, it's a fantastic watch, go for it if you like it, you won't be disappointed, it's a keeper for me especially being my first PP.

John
JBP99p is offline   Reply With Quote