The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2007, 05:29 AM   #1
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Question about Sea-Dweller purchase

Greetings one and all. I was offered a trade by my local AD on my Datejust toward a Sea-Dweller and I really like the watch. I've got a 1680 Sub date from the early seventies so I thought it would be a nice change. Plus it is such a beefy watch and I like the weight on it. But after reading some of the threads here, I'm hesitant because of the sizing problems I've read. My wrist is around 7 in. and if I can't get it sized properly, it will drive me a little nuts.

Can anyone offer some insight into this watch or why they like it over, say the GMT Master II (also interesting to me because we're already seeing the new GMT's and I prefer the more simplistic look of the older ones with the red hand.)

Thanks for any advice/help.

Kevin
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 05:32 AM   #2
KJacques
"TRF" Member

One other thing. Is the Sub-date a better value than the Sea-Dweller when it comes time to flip it? I actually prefer the exclusivity even though I miss the cyclops magnifier.

Kevin
Old 3 May 2007, 05:43 AM   #3
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
One other thing. Is the Sub-date a better value than the Sea-Dweller when it comes time to flip it? I actually prefer the exclusivity even though I miss the cyclops magnifier.

Kevin
Subs are obviously more popular than the SD, but you'll have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM selling either one!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 05:45 AM   #4
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But after reading some of the threads here, I'm hesitant because of the sizing problems I've read. My wrist is around 7 in. and if I can't get it sized properly, it will drive me a little nuts.
Get your AD to size it for you and take your time flicking it around on your wrist. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if it's a good fit or not. Good luck making this decision!
Member #471
Old 3 May 2007, 05:47 AM   #5
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I think that is up to you, Sea-Dwellers are reported as harder to obtain. I own a SD I had no troubles finding it. Most ADs I know have at least one in the case. I own an LV Sub as well. My sub is lighter and after wearing both for me I prefer the SD. Some say the Sub is the ultimate Rolex, sales would tend to suggest the DateJust is the ultimate Rolex it sales more than any other line Rolex offers. I would seriously get a second opinion about your 70’s model Sub, most AD are trying to sell Rolex they have all they need. It is rare that a dealer wants a Rolex unless it is rare or they can (steal it) acquire the watch for next to nothing and get a handsome return off the resale. As many have said on this forum it is up to you, spend some time with both watches get the one you like the most or the watch that smiles back at you. In time do as many have done buy them both. My two bits.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 05:55 AM   #6
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

My opinion! Sold as Rolex intended no choice 1 option!, love the little differences over the Sub >>polished side to the links/slightly thicker case/crystal /engraved case back/included toolkit/ deep sea commercial links all add IMO to the aura of the watch over the SUB just my opinion, yours is what counts, can't really see a problem with the fit compared with a sub

steve
Old 3 May 2007, 06:21 AM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would go for the SD for various reason.

The SD has a "cleaner" and more harmonic appearance due to the lacking cyclops lense.

The cyclops lense of the Submariner Date is in fact not that practical: You often have to look directly down on it to see what date it is. From the side, the cyclops blurrs the date.

The cyclops lense of the Submariner Date is in fact NOT made of sapphire crystal and can therefore much easier scratched. BTW: if you really WANT a Submariner Date, it is possible to have the cyclops lense taken off (let an AD do this for you).

The Cyclops lense of the Submariner Date also has the disadvantage that it is hard to read the EXACT minutes from around 12 minutes past to 17 minutes after a full hour. It simply blurrs it.

The SD is a very handsome watch on the wrist, if you have the "right" size of wrist (typically 7½ inch).

The SD is much more seldomly seen than the Submariner Date that almost every one chooses now (probably because it is more "recognizable" by "general" people due to the cyclops.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Speaking as an SD owner, the watch is fantastic, although fit is very important.

One TRF'er bought his new about a month ago and just sent it back on an exchange because of fit-issues on the wrist.

With an SD, there really is no "perfect" fit. It's just plain "top-heavy". You'll need some slack in the bracelet to accomodate expansion in your wrist due to temperature changes and/or bloating :)

If the watch is too snug, you may cut off your blood circulation. Too loose and the watch will wobble badly on your wrist.

Myself, I have left some mild play in the bracelet, just enough to accomodate the temp. changes, however, as soon as I move my arm up or down, the watch shifts on my wrist about half an inch. It shifts just enough that the watch will slide into an uncomfortable position whereby I have to wiggle my wrist to get the watch back in place.

You won't get this with a Sub because the watch is not top heavy, hence making it easier to fit and it won't slide around as much either.

I guess the price you pay or the sacrifice you make for owning a monster watch is some comfort.

Choose wisely, as the watch is expensive.

In terms of resale-ability, the Sub Date would go quicker than the SD in a second-hand sale. Unless you're really familiar with the Rolex line, not too many people know about the SD. More are familiar with the Sub-date. My AD told me that during the Christmas rush of 2006 they sold out of all of their Sub-dates and the new shipment wasn't due for another month at the time.

Interestingly enough, my AD's original discount offer on the Sub-Date was 19% and the SD was a pitiful 14%! You'd think it would have been the other way around, but no, they put greater value on the SD more even though it was selling for $200 more than the Sub-date. In anycase, I talked myself into a 21% discount on cash

When compared to the number of Sub-date and Sub-ND wearer's out there, the SD wearer's are paltry in comparison. Reasons are due recognition of the model and more importantly, comfort. If you buy the SD, consider yourself to be part of an exclusive club.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 07:36 AM   #9
KJacques
"TRF" Member

I am stunned by the great opinions and replies. Thanks so much guys. I am going to go look at it tonight, but I know Mayor's likes to spit out the line that their AD status is in jeapordy should they even think about offering a discount. I hate paying full price for anything and will have to see how they feel about selling a watch or standing firm their ground. I'm not looking to steal the watch from them, but...
Old 3 May 2007, 10:54 AM   #10
zeppe19avr

Watch: Sea-dweller Z ser.
I have a small wrist, my SD sits perfectly, because it's not too loose !!
Not too tight , just right, that's what makes all the difference, I think.
Don't be shy about asking for a discount, the ADs don't work much for their pay, they just sell something somebody else worked to produce !!!
I don't have any sympathy for any of them !! Anybody agree ????
zeppe19avr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:03 AM   #11
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I just returned from a cross-country trip this morning, so I switched my Pepsi GMT-II for my SD. I really love my SD, but there is a noticeable difference in size/weight between the SD and the GMT-II. The difference between the SD and Sub is less noticeable, but the SD is a little top heavy compared to the others.

Sometimes I really appreciate the cleaner look of the SD, and sometimes I really want the date bubble again. However, one thing I really like about the SD is you just don't see too many of them. DJs are everywhere, followed by Subs, but it's not everyday you come across the SD. This is a big plus for me.
Old 3 May 2007, 11:25 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Hey Kevin,

Either is a great watch. Go with the one that pushes your buttons,

Now tell me about the 1680!!!! The pick of the litter to me!!!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I was faced with the same decision some months back.

I picked the SD for all the reasons listed above. You wont be dissappointed

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:51 AM   #14
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greetings one and all. I was offered a trade by my local AD on my Datejust toward a Sea-Dweller and I really like the watch. I've got a 1680 Sub date from the early seventies so I thought it would be a nice change. Plus it is such a beefy watch and I like the weight on it. But after reading some of the threads here, I'm hesitant because of the sizing problems I've read. My wrist is around 7 in. and if I can't get it sized properly, it will drive me a little nuts.

Can anyone offer some insight into this watch or why they like it over, say the GMT Master II (also interesting to me because we're already seeing the new GMT's and I prefer the more simplistic look of the older ones with the red hand.)

Thanks for any advice/help.

Kevin
Hello Kevin:

First of all, your wrist is not an abnormal size. Adjusting the bracelet on an SD is easily done and can be tailored to your wrist very easily. The adjustable links are held in by screw pins. In addition, the clasp has several adjustment holes for 'fine tuning' the size as well. Your AD would be able to do it for you if you'd rather not do it yourself.

In regard to the GMT, well it depends if you actually need a watch with a dual time facility, like if you were travelling between time zones a lot or a military man, or work in the aviation industry.

I would choose the SD as I am not fond of the cyclops either.

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:51 AM   #15
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Incredible pics, Mike!
Member #471
Old 3 May 2007, 01:02 PM   #16
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I just got a SD little over a week ago. Great watch. IS top heavy, but still sits good on the wrist. The way my wrist is formed, found it actually fitting better with one of the links removed from the 6 Oclock side. The AD removed the link for me, he had to cut it off as all the links on the 6 oclock side are fixed. Did not remove any links from the 12 oclock side.

What I like about the SD. Smaller dial, larger bezel, the beefeir size give a different appearance than the sub or other Rolex sport models, comes with tool kit, no cyclops. I do prefer the smaller clasp on the GMT/EXP model better though.

I think you will be pretty happy with a Sea Dweller. I would flip your Sub and DJ both, and get a SD and a GMT.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 01:36 PM   #17
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hey Kevin,

Either is a great watch. Go with the one that pushes your buttons,

Now tell me about the 1680!!!! The pick of the litter to me!!!

Awesome pics

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 01:47 PM   #18
KJacques
"TRF" Member

My gosh, Mike. Those are AWESOME pics. Great comparison detail. I have really grown to love the look and feel of the SD even if I do miss the cyclops magnifier. But it is easier to tell the time and I love the engraving on the back. Everything about it is solid and strong feeling. Thanks for posting such great pictures.

I came very close to getting the SD tonight, but the AD wouldn't budge on the price one nickel.

Kevin
Old 3 May 2007, 01:56 PM   #19
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I was fortunate to pick up a BNIB SD Z Series from a AD in KL, Malaysia for $4340. No tax. What is your AD asking for?

May end up costing you the same price if you take a 4 day weekend, fly to Hong Kong or KL, Malaysia, spend 1-2 night in a hotel, buy your SD and fly back to the USA!

You should also check on out of state ADs, if you buy from them and they ship to you at least you will save sales tax.

Being in the USA, you maybe able to get a better deal selling your DJ or Sub over the interenet as well, than the trade in value your AD is giving you.

Just some options to think about.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 02:29 PM   #20
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wrist is around 7 in. and if I can't get it sized properly, it will drive me a little nuts.
Hey Kevin,

Based off what you said here man, I would recommend you get a Sub or Sub/Date or GMT...etc. I have a 7 inch wrist and if sizing is going to drive you crazy you are probably not going to like the way this watch fits. It is very top heavy and will flop around on you and the clasp will not be centered on the bottom of your wrist. In order for the watch to stay still you will have to make it tighter--which I found uncomfortable. I am actually exchanging my new SD for a Sub/Date tomorrow for just this reason. As always, go and try it on in the store and get them to size it for you to see how it feels. You may find it fits you fine. Good luck with whatever you end up with
Old 3 May 2007, 02:35 PM   #21
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

BTW. I was able to get 15% off on the SD with cash. If you dealer isn't willing to budge one penny I would go to another dealer. Don't let them give you the "Rolex wont let us move on the price" BS. Many dealers will give you a break with cash as they don't have to pay Visa/MC/AMEX 5% on the purchase price.
Old 3 May 2007, 04:37 PM   #22
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal View Post
Hey Kevin,

Based off what you said here man, I would recommend you get a Sub or Sub/Date or GMT...etc. I have a 7 inch wrist and if sizing is going to drive you crazy you are probably not going to like the way this watch fits. It is very top heavy and will flop around on you and the clasp will not be centered on the bottom of your wrist. In order for the watch to stay still you will have to make it tighter--which I found uncomfortable. I am actually exchanging my new SD for a Sub/Date tomorrow for just this reason. As always, go and try it on in the store and get them to size it for you to see how it feels. You may find it fits you fine. Good luck with whatever you end up with
From the House of Lords to the House of Commons.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 04:50 PM   #23
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

lol. here in the US its still a rolex tosser.
Old 3 May 2007, 05:15 PM   #24
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
lol. here in the US its still a rolex tosser.
Oh,in the US,it is still a Rolex .. What ? Are we "little country" people supposed to be impressed by that ?? It would be a Rolex,anywhere in the world ...

Just pulling your leg.Its a personal choice and you have to go what suits you best
Old 3 May 2007, 10:41 PM   #25
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Kevin,

Based off what you said here man, I would recommend you get a Sub or Sub/Date or GMT...etc. I have a 7 inch wrist and if sizing is going to drive you crazy you are probably not going to like the way this watch fits.
How the watch fits is important and I'm still a little ambivalent about the SD although it felt good when trying it on. I like the weight and thickness of the watch and find it very similar to my Sub Date, which is why I like it....it's just that little bit different. Like the dog food my hound prefers... It's Beefier. I love the GMT II, but I prefer the Sub/Date from the way it feels and its design differences. Never thought about a SD, but it's been talkin' to me.

In fact. I came very close to slappin' the cash down on the table last night, and we were 80 dollars apart. No screaming deal, mind you just my Datejust in trade with cash, but they wouldn't move on price or trade value. $80 is nothing in the context of things with these watches, but at that point, it became more a matter of principle that they were so inflexible. I also was only getting partial trade value for my Datejust. I had to move to to the 18k/ss Sub to realize full trade value so they readjusted because the trade can never be more than half the value of the new watch. Didn't much care for that policy either!

That mixed with the fact that the watch was missing the plastic coverings on the sides of the watch and it had a few handling scratches made me walk away from it. They weren't motivated to sell the watch and I became unmotivated to purchase it.

Kevin
Old 3 May 2007, 11:22 PM   #26
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

yeah sounds like bullshit. lol sounds like the watch i returned actually.
Old 3 May 2007, 11:34 PM   #27
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
A 7 inch wrist should be okay for a SD. The SD are top heavy, so it will have to be worn snug rather than loose.
Old 3 May 2007, 11:43 PM   #28
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
How the watch fits is important and I'm still a little ambivalent about the SD although it felt good when trying it on. I like the weight and thickness of the watch and find it very similar to my Sub Date, which is why I like it....it's just that little bit different. Like the dog food my hound prefers... It's Beefier. I love the GMT II, but I prefer the Sub/Date from the way it feels and its design differences. Never thought about a SD, but it's been talkin' to me.

In fact. I came very close to slappin' the cash down on the table last night, and we were 80 dollars apart. No screaming deal, mind you just my Datejust in trade with cash, but they wouldn't move on price or trade value. $80 is nothing in the context of things with these watches, but at that point, it became more a matter of principle that they were so inflexible. I also was only getting partial trade value for my Datejust. I had to move to to the 18k/ss Sub to realize full trade value so they readjusted because the trade can never be more than half the value of the new watch. Didn't much care for that policy either!

That mixed with the fact that the watch was missing the plastic coverings on the sides of the watch and it had a few handling scratches made me walk away from it. They weren't motivated to sell the watch and I became unmotivated to purchase it.

Kevin
I wont do business there for SEVERAL reasons,I sure hope you dont buy there.
Old 4 May 2007, 01:14 AM   #29
SDman

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I just returned from a cross-country trip this morning, so I switched my Pepsi GMT-II for my SD. I really love my SD, but there is a noticeable difference in size/weight between the SD and the GMT-II. The difference between the SD and Sub is less noticeable, but the SD is a little top heavy compared to the others.

Sometimes I really appreciate the cleaner look of the SD, and sometimes I really want the date bubble again. However, one thing I really like about the SD is you just don't see too many of them. DJs are everywhere, followed by Subs, but it's not everyday you come across the SD. This is a big plus for me.
I couldn't agree with you more subfiend I work in a Casino and during my rounds I do check peoples watches especially in the High Roller room.....I can tell you man you will see stones Presidents Daytonas and TT sub and I have been working here for close to 9 years now and I only have sighted SD 2x in the Main Gaming Floor. Rare as a yeti sighting
SDman is offline   Reply With Quote