The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2024, 04:19 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Deposit Normal?

I got the call on a Submariner from a small single-location family AD. They said that Rolex has informed them it will be arriving in about 4 weeks, and the AD wanted a 50% deposit to mark it as sold to me when it arrives. I asked them to clarify that they're not going to put it on exhibition for a few weeks and then release to me, and they assured me that was not the case.

I've seen threads over the years where people will put a deposit down with no end in sight, so I was glad that wasn't the case here. It still struck me a bit odd that they would bother getting a deposit on a watch arriving so soon rather than just calling someone on the list upon its arrival.

Has anyone had something like this come up? Perhaps it's the new normal.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:23 AM   #2
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I've paid a deposit before - I think 20% when I was waiting for my Polar. Similar thing to you, the deposit was requested shortly before the watch arrived.

I also paid 100% upfront for my Sub during COVID-19, but that was due to being unable to collect the watch as the store was closed. I was given a receipt for the watch at the time of payment and advised on the collection process once the store could reopen.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:25 AM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I would prefer to leave a deposit, better still pay in full. My AD stopped deposits a couple of years ago.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:29 AM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve never been asked for a deposit but I think my AD might ask for one from less established customers. I wouldn’t object if there was a definite short term timeline attached.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:31 AM   #5
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I’ve never been asked for a deposit but I think my AD might ask for one from less established customers. I wouldn’t object if there was a definite short term timeline attached.
This is a first time purchase from the AD, so I guess that makes sense. Maybe they won't down the road for other pieces.
Old 20 August 2024, 04:34 AM   #6
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

A few years back when I was looking for a DD40 my AD asked for a deposit to order it for me
BriansRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:34 AM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I would prefer to leave a deposit, better still pay in full. My AD stopped deposits a couple of years ago.
My local AD stopped deposits a few years ago, too, when the market heated up; they refunded everyone with outstanding deposits. They used to do 50% I think. Then eventually they would just take it on gold or two-tone pieces and may have done "only" 25%--not exactly sure, but that was discontinued about a couple years ago.
Old 20 August 2024, 04:35 AM   #8
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I've paid a deposit before - I think 20% when I was waiting for my Polar. Similar thing to you, the deposit was requested shortly before the watch arrived.

I also paid 100% upfront for my Sub during COVID-19, but that was due to being unable to collect the watch as the store was closed. I was given a receipt for the watch at the time of payment and advised on the collection process once the store could reopen.
When I bought a watch in Maui in 2022 after calling ahead a bunch of times, when it arrived about a week before I got there, they had me pay in full with pick up in person.
Old 20 August 2024, 04:36 AM   #9
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Deposit Normal?

They likely just want to minimize the chance of you getting cold feet. Put some skin in the game.

Frankly, I’d put up the deposit. It’s not like they can keep your money if you do change your mind. At least not in CA.

I would just make them commit to a timeline for delivery - which it sounds like you have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:37 AM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If my AD asked me for a deposit I would be happy to oblige subject to a known time scale.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:40 AM   #11
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
They likely just want to minimize the chance of you getting cold feet. Put some skin in the game.

Frankly, I’d put up the deposit. It’s not like they can keep your money if you do change your mind. At least not in CA.

I would just make them commit to a timeline for delivery.

At first they said 4-8 weeks, and then that got revised down to 4 weeks, saying it could be less. I feel like that's a pretty decent timeline.

I put the deposit down, so it's happening!
Old 20 August 2024, 04:41 AM   #12
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
At first they said 4-8 weeks, and then that got revised down to 4 weeks, saying it could be less. I feel like that's a pretty decent timeline.

Well done!

Sub ND?

Old 20 August 2024, 04:42 AM   #13
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well done!

Sub nd?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
LV mk2!
Old 20 August 2024, 04:42 AM   #14
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
LV mk2!

I like!

Old 20 August 2024, 04:45 AM   #15
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like!

Yep--registered interest back in March or April, maybe May. Not too bad a wait.

I asked if it was going to hurt my chances for a GMT (e.g. they won't sell another stainless watch to me for a year like some ADs do) and they claimed no and funnily that they aren't getting another GMT this year. I should've corrected them that they aren't getting another one... for me.
Old 20 August 2024, 04:47 AM   #16
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Paid deposit for my daytona, but that was already in the ADs safe …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:53 AM   #17
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Every AD is an independent business. Some require deposits… some like mine do not take deposits for watches, or money to reserve the “next” whatever that comes in.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:55 AM   #18
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Every AD is an independent business. Some require deposits… some like mine do not take deposits for watches, or money to reserve the “next” whatever that comes in.

Facts

Good reminder for those (no one in this thread so far) that extrapolate their specific AD policies and apply them to all ADs.

Old 20 August 2024, 04:56 AM   #19
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
All AD's are a bit different. This isn't entirely abnormal. A mate of mine has (in the past) been asked to put down 50% for two pieces he bought - a 116523 black dial and 216570.
Old 20 August 2024, 05:02 AM   #20
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:

Awesome. Looking forward to pics in a few weeks
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 05:15 AM   #21
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

This is a good sign that the market is getting better.

Last few years as the market was super hot, no ADs would take deposits for Rolex since they had a list of people who would pick up the watch same day if called. Deposits just became a burden, because people who placed a deposit would expect their piece, and if it didn’t come in whatever timeframe they felt was reasonable they would start calling and being angry with the AD.

Having to put a deposit on a green sub. Wow times are getting better.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 05:34 AM   #22
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
It’s not unheard of. An AD in the Philly area once asked me for a deposit. I didn’t go along with it because I was able to score the same watch at another AD that didn’t ask for one.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 05:38 AM   #23
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
This is a good sign that the market is getting better.

Last few years as the market was super hot, no ADs would take deposits for Rolex since they had a list of people who would pick up the watch same day if called. Deposits just became a burden, because people who placed a deposit would expect their piece, and if it didn’t come in whatever timeframe they felt was reasonable they would start calling and being angry with the AD.

Having to put a deposit on a green sub. Wow times are getting better.
I'll do you one even better then. I wasn't the first person they contacted; someone passed on it before me. Not sure how many people said no before they got to me, but it appeared that each associate had their chance to call someone, and if that person said no, the next associate chose.

I met this associate only once and exchanged a few texts after following up for a watch. She was very nice; I liked her a lot! Glad to see it was pretty quickly fruitful.
Old 20 August 2024, 05:46 AM   #24
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
Not unheard of, but unusual. I've moved a number of times over the last 25+ years and have established relationships with many ADs during that time. Not once was I asked to put down a deposit. That said, it's not something I would walk away from if I felt it would help speed access to a piece I really wanted.

With a reasonable time window and the ability to get a refund anytime prior to delivery of the watch, I'd have no problem with that...
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 06:16 AM   #25
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Congrats! Don’t forget to revive this thread, and post pics when it arrives. I know just how you feel, because I’ve been promised the very next Explorer that comes into my AD. Should be soon. I’ve also been assured, like you, that it won’t do display duty first, but be sold to me, upon arrival. Should they ask me for a deposit, I’d be happy to pay it. It will be my first professional model.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 06:21 AM   #26
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

If convenient, I would pop into the AD unannounced in a week or two and see If they have an LV on display and take note of the serial number.

Honestly, I’d still be fine buying a display model (like the old days) but I would like to know if my AD was being honest about not putting yours on display.

Old 20 August 2024, 06:25 AM   #27
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If convenient, I would pop into the AD unannounced in a week or two and see If they have an LV on display and take note of the serial number.

Honestly, I’d still be fine buying a display model (like the old days) but I would like to know if my AD was being honest about not putting yours on display.

This is a very good idea! It's about a 2 hour, 45 minute drive each way, though. I may see if I can get someone I know down there to swing by to do some recon or perhaps will just go down myself if I can work it into a business trip.
Old 20 August 2024, 06:28 AM   #28
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Congrats! Don’t forget to revive this thread, and post pics when it arrives. I know just how you feel, because I’ve been promised the very next Explorer that comes into my AD. Should be soon. I’ve also been assured, like you, that it won’t do display duty first, but be sold to me, upon arrival. Should they ask me for a deposit, I’d be happy to pay it. It will be my first professional model.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure thing, Kat--I'll post an update when it's secured.

Congratulations in advanced on the Explorer 1; I think I saw you were getting the 36mm? That is such a boss piece on a lady and an awesome choice. I really enjoyed my 124270 when I had it and definitely miss it sometimes.
Old 20 August 2024, 07:09 AM   #29
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGMoney View Post
Not unheard of, but unusual. I've moved a number of times over the last 25+ years and have established relationships with many ADs during that time. Not once was I asked to put down a deposit. That said, it's not something I would walk away from if I felt it would help speed access to a piece I really wanted.

With a reasonable time window and the ability to get a refund anytime prior to delivery of the watch, I'd have no problem with that...
I've never had to put down a deposit, and I'm not a fan, though it's acceptable if they're actually special ordering something for you. I also think 50% is a little excessive, but as long as the time frame is short as in the OP's example, it's not the worse thing ever.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 07:53 AM   #30
Littlelad2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP and Rolex
I was requeated to put down a 50% deposit for the Tudor BB58 GMT, but I was told the time frame.

I was also asked to pay 50% upfront to secure a rootbeer, which I declined without a timeframe. But funny enough, I would have paid that to secure the LV. My reasoning was that I could pick up a rootbeer for similar to retail, but I would have to pay a premium for the LV.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk
Littlelad2 is offline   Reply With Quote