The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2024, 08:02 AM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

How many how lost love for favorite or hype watches....Hot Take on stainless Daytona

Title might be a bit confusing, but curious how many others have lost love or changed their style or preference after wearing a hot or popular model for some time. Let me also preface this by saying a couple things. I have been wearing a stainless 11 series Daytona for some time off and on. I am also fortunate enough to have an oyster flex rose gold, and a white gold 11 series, and few other Sport models. When putting on the oyster flex or WG model, something about the weight and precious metal make it feel a bit more special and a bit more sense of occasion when wearing it. The stainless is extremely comfortable, but almost a bit too lightweight feeling to make it feel a bit more cheap or toyish. I know weight isn't associated with the quality, but just the comparison to wearing to the heavier feeling PM models. Maybe a reason not to have 3 variations of the same model as well.

Curious how others have felt during their watch collecting journey's. I am sure many of us go through times where our tastes adapt or change, but also in the sense of something you think you might really love or want, but then after attaining the watch and wearing a bit, you realize it doesn't quite fit in to the rotation as you would have hoped or expected after the long wait to attaining it.

I have always bought watches on what I personally like, and I am not the type that even likes to show off or wear them publicly. I.e. will keep under a cuff or concealed. I like having a nice watch on for my outfit, but all for my own personal likes and interest.
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 08:08 AM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
For me the Concern with the hype watches became the increasing potential of theft.

The reason I recently sold my 5711. It was a watch that would be a great daily wear but it became a watch that needed outsized consideration regarding where I would be wearing it.

Now I favor the watches that are a bit less on the radar.
Old 1 September 2024, 08:13 AM   #3
G&TMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1A blue
I have and love my white dial 116500, but I've lost the joy out of wearing it. The first reason is I purchased a 116508 and 116519 which I enjoy more, and the second is one of the last times I wore it out to a bar, some guy sat next to me and spent a good amount of time trying to buy it off of me, introduce him to my AD, etc. I may still throw it on while staying around the house, but it doesn't go out to social settings anymore.
G&TMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 08:24 AM   #4
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Don’t get the hype allegations. I feel like that comes from folks that can’t get a watch they want. I truly enjoy my Daytona’s, GMT’s, SkyD and Panerai’s that I've been collecting for over 20 years. Like them all at least as much as when they were picked up. Whole point of the collection is different watch for different conditions. So they all remain valid for me. A few are more specialized and don’t get as much wrist time. Still they remain essential part of the collection. Said this before, if you don’t like a Daytona, don’t buy one. Why trash the people that like them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5284.jpeg (150.8 KB, 1300 views)
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 08:35 AM   #5
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Don’t get the hype allegations. I feel like that comes from folks that can’t get a watch they want. I truly enjoy my Daytona’s, GMT’s, SkyD and Panerai’s that I've been collecting for over 20 years. Like them all at least as much as when they were picked up. Whole point of the collection is different watch for different conditions. So they all remain valid for me. A few are more specialized and don’t get as much wrist time. Still they remain essential part of the collection. Said this before, if you don’t like a Daytona, don’t buy one. Why trash the people that like them?
Daytona is my favorite watch model. Love everything about it. Just saying when I want to wear one, I seem to be grabbing for the PM a bit more than the stainless.
Old 1 September 2024, 08:48 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

I like the Daytona. Obviously a classic. But the difficulty of obtaining one at retail coupled with what you have to pay to get it makes a speedmaster a much more practical option at its pre owned price.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:09 AM   #7
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
Daytona is my favorite watch model. Love everything about it. Just saying when I want to wear one, I seem to be grabbing for the PM a bit more than the stainless.
I have the older version WG meteorite on leather and a YG PN on leather and find those get a little less wrist time than the SS version. Maybe because the feel a bit more “precious”. The WG on Oysterflex gets more time as it feels super sporty and more neutral. Nice to have options.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:14 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Ding ding ding! Give the man a prize. I gave up on the Daytonas years ago after having tried steel and PM. Just didn’t do it for me.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:24 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
If it's a hype watch, it's too common to have any interest for me. I'd rather take the road less traveled.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:47 AM   #10
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I tend to like being just "another" guy - nothing too flashy for me. Just personal preference. I find the thought of people looking at me (for whatever reason) incredibly uncomfortable. This is perhaps partly why I've never been into the "hyped" up pieces.

That said, I own a 116520. I don't seem to wear it much in all honesty. I have the white dial variant, and in low light settings, the dial becomes all "washed" out, rendering time-telling unforgivably difficult. Most of the time it stays in its' travel pouch. I'm sad to say it, but the love isn't there. Big let down for me.
Old 1 September 2024, 10:53 AM   #11
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Had the WG version with the blue dial. Hard to read and just didn’t care for it. Now I have a Navitimer for my chrono needs and really like this watch. Wonderful bracelet.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 11:07 AM   #12
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

I wanted certain pieces in my collection long before they became 'Hype' pieces
Who could have known things would have gone in this insane direction acquiring luxury time pieces.

Saying that... Love chrono's and love my SS Daytona's
If the AD can't deliver me a Ghost (126519LN) in next couple of months I'll go grey and get it.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 11:30 AM   #13
Flypanam

There have been some hype watches that I just didn't enjoy, despite giving them a try.

Big one for me was integrated bracelet steel sports watches. Basically all the genta-like watches. I know AP Royal Oak is the big one, but didn't want to drop money on something like that without trying something else first. Went through a Tissot PRX, Maurice Lacroix Aikon, Baume Riviera Baumatic, Zenith Defy... I enjoyed them for a little while but sold each and every one. I didn't go for a Laureato, Ingenieur, Alpine Eagle, Antartique, or Royal Oak.. I know the ones I've had are lower tier, but trying the pricier ones likely would have been met with the same result, so I would have wasted quite a bit of money.

Grand Seiko is a big thing now, and you go on any watch forum and you can see people fawning over them. "Punches above their weight" is a comment I see on every other Grand Seiko thread, along with "better than Rolex". Well I really enjoy the Spring Drive technology, and the dials are pretty cool. But that's about it. The dials don't even look that great on your wrist, because you lose the details when you're not taking macro shots for the internet. Every GS case style I've tried has sat awkwardly on my wrist, and their bracelets suck. They're fine watches, but watch people have some weird love affair with them.

In terms of Rolex, since this is Rolex forum, I don't think there's anything in particular that was very hyped but I bought then didn't enjoy. The only Rolex I've had and sold was a Rhodium OP39, not because it wasn't great or anything, but just because I never wore it. I'm 50/50 on selling my 16610, also not because it's not great, but because when I have other watches to choose from, I almost always reach for something else.

As for Daytona in particular, I love my two tone 116523. Granted, it's not a steel Daytona which is the most hyped version of the most hyped watch, but for this particular watch I actually prefer the TT. To me it's very luxurious and sporty at the same time, but doesn't have that (undesirable for me) 80's vibe I get with a lot of other TT watches. I never in a million years thought I'd love a two tone watch, yet here I am. I think the Zenith Chronomaster with it's tri-color subdials is more visually interesting than the steel Daytonas, just a shame about that very "meh" bracelet and clasp.
Best of the rest: Tudor BB Chrono Reverse Panda; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Ming 17.09 Burgundy; Nomos Tangente 50 ans de Médecins Sans Frontières
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 11:32 AM   #14
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think not every watch will be for you. Like a Yacht Master II is an aquired taste. A Daytona has hype because many like it. It's a beautiful watch and wears well in many situations. Like said above, if it doesn't click move it on. I don't keep watches I don't enjoy.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 11:42 AM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I’ve fallen out of love with pieces because I loved a piece in a vacuum and not how it would fit in my lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 12:24 PM   #16
ons2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I’ve fallen out of love with pieces because I loved a piece in a vacuum and not how it would fit in my lifestyle.

Wow

Well said !

ons2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 12:30 PM   #17
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Similar story here. SS Daytona was always my grail until my AD hooked me up with a RG Daytona on OF, Sundust dial with black sub dials. I no longer have any interest in a SS Daytona. In fact, my next watch will be another PM model I like the PM so much.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 12:46 PM   #18
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I just buy and wear my favorite watches within my budget, period. I don’t care if it’s a hype watch or not. I don’t care what others think.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 01:03 PM   #19
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Well, hype or not I have owned four SS Daytonas starting with a white dial 16520. I then traded it for a white dial 116520, then traded that for a black dial. A SS Daytona was my main daily for eight years then I sold it for an early model DSSD in 2008.
Fast forward to 2019 and I picked up a black 116500 which I think is a keeper this time.
My main take after almost 13 years of SS Daytona ownership is make sure you’re buying it for the right reasons. I love chronographs, the 4130 is incredibly accurate, and the watch can be worn for just about any occasion. If you’re buying just because you think you should and/or expect some kind of recognition for it, that won’t happen. I get way more comments on my colorful OPs than I ever have for the Daytonas.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 01:15 PM   #20
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
228235 olive dial was my favorite watch until every single person under the sun got one. I sold it after owning it for like 3-4 years and haven’t looked back
Old 1 September 2024, 01:50 PM   #21
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
The difference in retail price between PM and SS is more than the delta between a gshock and a SS Rolex.

Of course it’s a different and “better” experience.

It’s like saying that flying private is better than flying commercial first class which is better than economy. Of course it is!
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 02:15 PM   #22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR143 View Post
The difference in retail price between PM and SS is more than the delta between a gshock and a SS Rolex.

Of course it’s a different and “better” experience.

It’s like saying that flying private is better than flying commercial first class which is better than economy. Of course it is!
Sums up my thoughts on this topic
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 02:46 PM   #23
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Title might be a bit confusing, but curious how many others have lost love or changed their style or preference after wearing a hot or popular model for some time. Let me also preface this by saying a couple things. I have been wearing a stainless 11 series Daytona for some time off and on. I am also fortunate enough to have an oyster flex rose gold, and a white gold 11 series, and few other Sport models. When putting on the oyster flex or WG model, something about the weight and precious metal make it feel a bit more special and a bit more sense of occasion when wearing it. The stainless is extremely comfortable, but almost a bit too lightweight feeling to make it feel a bit more cheap or toyish. I know weight isn't associated with the quality, but just the comparison to wearing to the heavier feeling PM models. Maybe a reason not to have 3 variations of the same model as well.

Curious how others have felt during their watch collecting journey's. I am sure many of us go through times where our tastes adapt or change, but also in the sense of something you think you might really love or want, but then after attaining the watch and wearing a bit, you realize it doesn't quite fit in to the rotation as you would have hoped or expected after the long wait to attaining it.

I have always bought watches on what I personally like, and I am not the type that even likes to show off or wear them publicly. I.e. will keep under a cuff or concealed. I like having a nice watch on for my outfit, but all for my own personal likes and interest.
READ ALL ABBBATT ITTT... "Man has 3 Daytonas and feels they are no longer special" shocker!
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 03:42 PM   #24
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
READ ALL ABBBATT ITTT... "Man has 3 Daytonas and feels they are no longer special" shocker!
Exactly what I did not say. I was purely asking if people acquire a piece they long awaited for and then realized they might be more excited to wear others in their collection. I love Daytona’s and always loved chronographs and racing inspired watches long before the hype. Dream watch is the Le Mans but likely never happening.

If I want to wear stainless I’m usually grabbing Milgauss, deep sea, gmt for daily wear.
Old 1 September 2024, 04:03 PM   #25
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly what I did not say. I was purely asking if people acquire a piece they long awaited for and then realized they might be more excited to wear others in their collection. I love Daytona’s and always loved chronographs and racing inspired watches long before the hype. Dream watch is the Le Mans but likely never happening.

If I want to wear stainless I’m usually grabbing Milgauss, deep sea, gmt for daily wear.
In principle it's exactly what you said. The fact is that "hot" and "popular" are hype terms and the more familiar with something you get, the less special it feels, especially like in your case when you have two other variants of the same watch. It's called becoming jaded and it's basic psychology.

You made a post to complain that your stainless steel Daytona does not feel as premium as your other two precious metal Daytonas that cost significantly more. It's a bit of a meme post.

Quote:
Said this before, if you don’t like a Daytona, don’t buy one. Why trash the people that like them?
Who in this thread has 'trashed' people simply for liking popular Rolex models? Or what specifically are you referring to?
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 04:14 PM   #26
Cru Jones

Quote:

x2.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:05 PM   #27
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I love the aesthetic of the Daytona. It may be the most beautiful case ever made. That being said I don’t like its lack of date etc. for me it’s the Day Date that gets my heart racing most. Then it’s probably another ‘hype” watch…the Nautilus. I’ve loved then for 30_ years when no one really wanted then and after that comes the Daytona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1134.jpeg (128.2 KB, 859 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0356.jpeg (86.6 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0578.jpeg (133.5 KB, 864 views)
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:19 PM   #28
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
If it's a hype watch, it's too common to have any interest for me. I'd rather take the road less traveled.
BINGO!

Only exception is if a watch had a story or sentimental value….for inctance if i won a daytona at le mans (this isnt going to happen)

Dont get me wrong, i still love standard speedmasters, rolex subs etc but i see them badly fitted, hanging off quite a few wrists around here, just ruins the allure for me.

Id far rather go for truely rare watches like h moser, lange, truely limited edition watches (less than 250) from major brands….or the odd balls from them like the air king
Talon84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:41 PM   #29
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have been collecting watches since the 60s and Rolex became important to me in the late 70s. However, I feel about them the same way I feel about my Porsche Design Chrono from 1975, my Breitling Navitimer from the late 80s, my Speedmaster from the 90s, my Panerai 104 from the early 2000s and a few more. I never knew there was hype about any watch until I heard some guy who was new to watch collecting on TRF. Frankly, I don’t care at all and never did!!
Old 1 September 2024, 09:42 PM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The more the hype the more I lose interest.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote