The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 September 2024, 12:10 AM   #1
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

49ers Ricky Pearsall is shot for his Rolex in San Francisco

Be careful out there. I feel safe wearing my Rolex in most US cities, but it looks like San Francisco isn't one of them. Are there other cities you no longer feel safe wearing your Rolex?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nf...-Pearsall.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2024, 12:16 AM   #2
Jasb
"TRF" Member

That’s what happens when you have a city run by idiots.
Old 3 September 2024, 12:18 AM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It’s not just SF, it’s the whole region.
Old 3 September 2024, 12:25 AM   #4
RichM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Truly tragic.

This is the third post on the same subject. One has already been closed and here is the other.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=958681

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=958685
TRF #139960
Old 3 September 2024, 01:40 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
The last thread on this subject was shut down. It's not SF alone. Care needs to be taken leaving the Boutique here in Boston as well. They place your purchase in a brown paper basket to reduce the chance of theft, here. Sorry to see it happen. The good news is he was on his feet on the way to the ambulance and they caught the teenage perp.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 3 September 2024, 01:45 AM   #6
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The last thread on this subject was shut down. It's not SF alone. Care needs to be taken leaving the Boutique here in Boston as well. They place your purchase in a brown paper basket to reduce the chance of theft, here. Sorry to see it happen. The good news is he was on his feet on the way to the ambulance and they caught the teenage perp.
My AD has Walmart bags for the same purpose.
Old 3 September 2024, 01:46 AM   #7
funkright
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs. All of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It’s not just SF, it’s the whole region.
It is not just the whole region, it’s indicative of the country or countries. This isn’t just happening in the USA.
Old 3 September 2024, 01:53 AM   #8
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My AD has Walmart bags for the same purpose.
The key point is you need to walk in and out with the same bag. If you walk in with nothing and walk out with a bag it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out.
Old 3 September 2024, 01:54 AM   #9
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
The key point is you need to walk in and out with the same bag. If you walk in with nothing and walk out with a bag it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out.

It’s worked so far

Old 3 September 2024, 01:57 AM   #10
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
At Pentagon City Mall across DC three kids snagged windows at Bucherer/Tourneau yesterday
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 3 September 2024, 01:58 AM   #11
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
It’s alarming. A professional football player. I can’t imagine he was giving off any victim signals.

Old 3 September 2024, 01:59 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's why I keep Bath & Body Works large bags from my lovely wife's shopping escapedes. Honestly... and let's face it, no one wants to steal that stuff

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:02 AM   #13
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Wow, the guy is 6'1" and is a football player - wide receiver - probably pure muscle. If you can't be that guy and be safe there is no hope. I was thinking about getting an all gold watch as my next purchase. Then again, I don't live in California so... (There is a reason I have not been downtown in probably 5+years - live outside Seattle. Avoid it like the plague.)

The story is crazy. He was shot in the chest, the bullet exited his back, so through his whole body, no vital organs hit and he walked to the ambulance... Wow.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:07 AM   #14
Cassian739

Quote:
Whenever I'm picking up a watch I always bring a backpack that I walk in with. Park my car close, then hightail it out of there. If I have to walk to my car, lots of situational awareness to make sure I'm not being followed. In NY, I'll order an Uber.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:11 AM   #15
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Most of the bigger cities are now becoming like this..London, Madrid, SF downtown, even parts of LA. Basically ya don't wanna look like a tourist flexing luxury watches/shoes/clothes (and definitely not flexing 2 tone or gold tone Rolex/AP).

But SF/Oakland are becoming slums. Field engineer here and I've been servicing SF/marin county hospitals for over 20 years and post covid, I no longer wear my sub for service calls. Work vehicle....smashed in twice down Geary public parking lot (in broad daylight)..nothing was inside. Sister in law had her LV purse snatched by Pier 9 ( I think..its the one for Altacraz Island tours). Tourists have been robbed of their expensive Canon cameras...

In most public parking lots, you'll see the aftermath of broken window glass on the pavement.

I love the city but don't wear or take anything "luxurious".

The citys crime rate is so high and so many cases, DA are backlogged and no longer even care. Thugs know this too so running rampant. I see so many threads here " is it safe to wear my Rolex in ____".

If ya already in doubt, just wear a cheap Seiko diver or GShock. As simple as that. Any vacation is not worth it if ya are constantly worrying about being robbed of your $10k Rolex. Even insurance is not really guaranteed as filing a police report in a foreign country is not easy (and police frankly dont care about a tourist with a stolen watch). And some insurance companies, on purpose, will give u a runaround just so they dont have to pay out.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:23 AM   #16
train-time

Watch: M79360B-0002
Definitely makes on think twice about carrying anything out of an AD regardless of how you disguise it. I was always careful coming out of ADs in a downtown setting where you had to walk blocks to get to a parking garage or ADs located in a mall where they didn't have their own outside entrance.

My local AD just moved locations. They were always in a standalone building, but the new location is in the middle of a large parking lot, and they are the only business there. You can't park close to the building either and if you walk out with anything you are a sitting duck and ripe for the picking.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:51 AM   #17
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Really sad that people can't be successful, have certain tastes and not enjoy what they have without others stealing it and nearly taking their life.

Serious question though: what should we all do? Luckily I live in a small suburb in a medium sized city and work from home. I'm not ever concerned with wearing my stainless Sea-Dweller around. But I do question if I will feel differently with even a stainless watch with PCL's. These watches are obviously not worth ever putting your life in harms way. Even in the safest and quietest of cities, there is risk of someone at a gas station grabbing your watch. Obviously handing it over (which I'd do), but you may still get injured in the process. I don't plan to do anything differently but curious how others are thinking of handling this situation. Even without wearing a nice watch, just getting out of a German luxury car with a white button down on is probably setting you up to be a target.
Old 3 September 2024, 03:29 AM   #18
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

SF in the 70s was the world's best city.

Now a person cannot walk in Union Square during the day.

How does that happen?
Old 3 September 2024, 04:12 AM   #19
WRjr
Banned

Horrible place to live from the sounds of it.
Old 3 September 2024, 04:17 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
How does that happen?
First slowly, then quickly.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 3 September 2024, 04:34 AM   #21
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsubmariner View Post
Thanks for sharing. Really sad that people can't be successful, have certain tastes and not enjoy what they have without others stealing it and nearly taking their life.

Serious question though: what should we all do? Luckily I live in a small suburb in a medium sized city and work from home. I'm not ever concerned with wearing my stainless Sea-Dweller around. But I do question if I will feel differently with even a stainless watch with PCL's. These watches are obviously not worth ever putting your life in harms way. Even in the safest and quietest of cities, there is risk of someone at a gas station grabbing your watch. Obviously handing it over (which I'd do), but you may still get injured in the process. I don't plan to do anything differently but curious how others are thinking of handling this situation. Even without wearing a nice watch, just getting out of a German luxury car with a white button down on is probably setting you up to be a target.
get your CCW license and protect yourself
Old 3 September 2024, 04:55 AM   #22
6172crew
"TRF" Member

I served with a few guys who went to law enforcement after the military. The cops have so much paperwork it can take years to complete an investigation. Here is one example in the Los Angeles area. My friend is a traffic detective, he does fatalities and serious injury cases, not the everyday stuff. Once a cop is on scene they start collecting data and figure out if a person was under the influence, those tests are backed up and the breath one is just more evidence but the blood ones are what the DA wants. If the person is in the hospital he has to get a warrant and submit it to hospital, they have to use a certain container and the test has to be done per regulation or the case gets tossed no matter how bad it is. They then get the data from the vehicle (yes, even older cars have GPS and they show speed, braking, etc. Then they get another warrant for the phone and that can take a year. After all of the evidence is secure the package goes to DA and they can charge the person….or not.
My friend has at least 3-4 of these cases on his desk at anytime and some can take years of the DA wants something he has a hard time getting so they offer a deal. He is one guy doing all of a certain area and no one else in there helping with cases.

The homicide guys have the same thing going but usually 2-3 of them and each guy with 3-4 cases they are working through. Sometimes the DA won’t file, even when the evidence is clear, depending on who committed the crime or suspected crime. They don’t have enough street cops so his area will always be short handed in the detective rolls.

Years ago my cousin was murdered for her EBT money, the detective and I rode motorcycles together and he said they think they know who did it but that person has no phone and no one will testify so the guy is still on the loose. This is in one of the worst cities in CA. Looks up Megan’s law in Richmond or San Pablo CA and it’s filled to the brim with convicted child predators.

Here in Texas we can carry a weapon if you’re not a felon, I do. It’s a huge responsibility and I don’t want to take a life but I’m okay protecting myself. Watching the local news, it seems like most issues are after 10pm and I’m usually in bed.
Closed Thread