The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2020, 06:55 AM   #1
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

Does selling a Rolex annoy the AD?

I've gotten a good rep with my local AD and they've hooked me up with a few watches I want. I still have the usual 'wish list' in with them for more. I'm curious if I sell one of my Rolex watches that I got from the AD, will they find out somehow via warranty,etc and cut ties with me?
BillBrasky626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 06:58 AM   #2
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
My AD told me before putting me on the SkyD blue that had to sign a form, saying the watch is for me and not resale. And that if I do resale it, they won’t provide me Rolex anymore.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:01 AM   #3
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
My AD told me before putting me on the SkyD blue that had to sign a form, saying the watch is for me and not resale. And that if I do resale it, they won’t provide me Rolex anymore.
That's kinda ridiculous. People may have a change of heart. First, they probably wouldn't find out unless they asked you to present the watch to them at your next visit. Second, if I want to sell something, I'm not going to not sell it because someone told me not to. That's just my take.
Old 2 July 2020, 07:03 AM   #4
mr ling
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: My P&L
At some point in the future, with a many things being cyclical I would presume that the tables will turn, and ADs will want to sell without these ridiculous strings attached. Either way, if I purchased a watch that I didn't want, didn't have someone I loved enough to gift it to, I would sell it.. ADs be damned.
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:09 AM   #5
ma2045
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, PO 2500
Do you have a say on how the AD spends your money after the sale?
Unless you pay with finance the watch is your property.
ma2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Xenon
Banned

A member here bought a watch from an AD then sold it and the AD found out and banned the member from future purchases.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:29 AM   #7
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
That's kinda ridiculous. People may have a change of heart. First, they probably wouldn't find out unless they asked you to present the watch to them at your next visit. Second, if I want to sell something, I'm not going to not sell it because someone told me not to. That's just my take.
It’s more of a scare tactic than anything else. Anyway it’s not like I’ll get the model anytime soon. Just thought I’d get on the list and maybe in five years, will get the call.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:37 AM   #8
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s more of a scare tactic than anything else. Anyway it’s not like I’ll get the model anytime soon. Just thought I’d get on the list and maybe in five years, will get the call.
No they're very serious (although signing a form is a bit much).

Rolex are utter control freaks and if they see people flipping they have words with the AD that sold the watch.

If ADs get threats from Rolex then they get very upset and the offending customer becomes an ex-customer.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:38 AM   #9
TellingTime
Banned

I wouldn’t lose any sleep.....there are lots of AD’s out there.
TellingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:40 AM   #10
franklin
"TRF" Member

That sort of agreement strikes me as very unreasonable. I would not enter into it.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:41 AM   #11
franklin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
I wouldn’t lose any sleep.....there are lots of AD’s out there.
So true.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:57 AM   #12
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
After you buy it, it's yours, you can do whatever you want.

Rolex has the right not selling to the people that they thought it's flipper. They want the hot pieces go to the people that really want and enjoy wearing it.

I don't think it's worth to be a flipper. Get a good job and make more money that way.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:17 AM   #13
watchmaker
TechXpert

Unless an AD gets you to sign a contract stipulating that you cannot sell the watch for ‘x’ amount of time, there is nothing they can do to stop you.

However they are under no obligation to ever sell you anything again.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:13 AM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
My AD before putting me on the Daytona waitlist explained that if a watch is bought and resold for profit, it raises a flag. This can hurt his ability to sell Rolex. It is a big deal for reputable ADs. I think if you got it and seriously didn’t like it, you could sell it back to the AD not for a profit.
JRell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:25 AM   #15
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
How do u explain ADs that move hard to get models direct to Grays/ resellers through the back doors???

No hard proof, but it's everyone's secret by now.
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:26 AM   #16
hpod
"TRF" Member

Honestly, how would your AD find out if you sold it. Unless you went back to him to sell it via him. I think you should go ahead and do whatever you want with the watch. I highly doubt your AD will even know that you sold it.
hpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:37 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d say it has more to do with time....

I can see if you bought a watch and sold it a gew weeks later, that might not sit well.

If you bought, wore it for a year or two and you didn’t bond with it and sold, it’s viewed differently, IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:01 AM   #18
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post
Honestly, how would your AD find out if you sold it. Unless you went back to him to sell it via him. I think you should go ahead and do whatever you want with the watch. I highly doubt your AD will even know that you sold it.
I know it is crazy but they know. Tracks back to the serial number. Rolex actually called the owner of a local store recently after they sold and the buyer flipped the Daytona right away. The buyer was handed from buying at that store. The reason is that an AD can take advantage of the demand, sell the watch to a person that will resale, and split the profit. The demand for watches are so crazy now, especially with the production low. Can be a get rich scheme.
Old 2 July 2020, 10:04 AM   #19
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post

When people buy the used watch a lot of the time they will call the AD on the card to validate that the watch was purchased there. In turn they are giving all the information the AD needs to brand you as a flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:09 AM   #20
calvin888
"TRF" Member

pretty sure some AD themselves are involved in selling watches to the grey markets, if it's not an inside job there is no other valid reasoning on how grey market dealers get so many "brand new" unworn watches of hot models from time to time...
calvin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:12 AM   #21
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin888 View Post
pretty sure some AD themselves are involved in selling watches to the grey markets, if it's not an inside job there is no other valid reasoning on how grey market dealers get so many "brand new" unworn watches of hot models from time to time...
I am sure you are right, and that is why Rolex cares and tries to monitor it. That person would lose their license, and rightfully so. Drives the prices and wait times up for people like us that can make $ fairly and enjoy the watches!
Old 2 July 2020, 10:17 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky626 View Post
I've gotten a good rep with my local AD and they've hooked me up with a few watches I want. I still have the usual 'wish list' in with them for more. I'm curious if I sell one of my Rolex watches that I got from the AD, will they find out somehow via warranty,etc and cut ties with me?
They don’t care that you flip. They care that they can’t and you’re making a buck of their original sale.

What they don’t tell you is they get a cut from their Grey resales in the form of moving slower or less desirable inventory.

To counteract flippers, all they have punitive measures to dissuade private flippers from established Greys. Who are in fact, flippers. Just more enterprising and reliable.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:18 AM   #23
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the insight.

They didn't have me sign anything like a contract. I was just curious if I sold a watch that I've had for a year or less if it would piss them off. I have a really good rapport with the local AD and they get me the watches I want. I recently got a new Rolex and figured I might not wear this one as much. It's not a big deal if I have to hang onto it. I'd rather keep my standing with them intact.

And for the record, it's not a flip. I expect to lose on it. It's a YMII
Old 2 July 2020, 10:23 AM   #24
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky626 View Post
Thanks for the insight.

Just to clarify they didn't do anything crazy like have me sign a contract. I just have a really good rapport with them and they get me the watches I want. I recently got a new Rolex and was thinking of selling one of my others that I probably won't wear as much now that I have the new one. It's not a big deal if I have to keep it. I'd rather preserve my relationship with the AD than risk them finding out I sold a watch that I've only had for a year.
Sure that is no problem at all! I sold many watches. It is the buy and flip that gets them angry. I wouldn’t sign anything though, that seems too invasive.
Old 2 July 2020, 10:24 AM   #25
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ling View Post
At some point in the future, with a many things being cyclical I would presume that the tables will turn, and ADs will want to sell without these ridiculous strings attached. Either way, if I purchased a watch that I didn't want, didn't have someone I loved enough to gift it to, I would sell it.. ADs be damned.
This is the way buying a Rolex used to be.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:25 AM   #26
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

double post...
Old 2 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #27
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's just ridiculous. I would have walked on principal.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:30 AM   #28
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

I have a response similar to this in another post...

~~~~~
This happened to a buddy of mine and his AD called him to ask if he sold the watch that he bought from them a month before (BLNR) and basically said that if he may be removed from preferred buyers list if he ends up doing this again.

Back story: My buddy sold his BLNR and the person that bought it called the AD to ask details about the watch, serial, etc. The AD confirmed it all and asked if he bought it off the original owner and for how much. The guy that bought it off my buddy gave the price (which was $14k) and the AD said the they discourage selling those goods above market and would call the original buyer to have a "discussion". Lol.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:39 AM   #29
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synrrgy View Post
I have a response similar to this in another post...

~~~~~
This happened to a buddy of mine and his AD called him to ask if he sold the watch that he bought from them a month before (BLNR) and basically said that if he may be removed from preferred buyers list if he ends up doing this again.

Back story: My buddy sold his BLNR and the person that bought it called the AD to ask details about the watch, serial, etc. The AD confirmed it all and asked if he bought it off the original owner and for how much. The guy that bought it off my buddy gave the price (which was $14k) and the AD said the they discourage selling those goods above market and would call the original buyer to have a "discussion". Lol.
That's exactly what I want to avoid, thanks for the story. Although in my case it's a YMII so the sale would probably be below retail
Old 2 July 2020, 10:39 AM   #30
calvin888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I am sure you are right, and that is why Rolex cares and tries to monitor it. That person would lose their license, and rightfully so. Drives the prices and wait times up for people like us that can make $ fairly and enjoy the watches!
I know some ADs top management proactively monitor their sales personnel on this, and they get fired once they found out they do side deals with the grey market dealers, but sometimes i bet the deals are already made way higher up
calvin888 is offline   Reply With Quote