The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 25 September 2017, 07:49 AM   #1
Seanken
Banned

DavidSW strikes again

With a good deal of input and education from TRF I bought my first new Rolex in over 25 years. I bought a subc from an AD in Austin TX for list and no tax. I have enjoyed this watch for about six months now.

After buying the subc I continued haunting this forum anonymously and reading all the opinions, slings and arrows and humor about watches and WIS types. I got an education and a greater understanding of my subc, other Rolex's and even other brands like Omega.

I learned what WIS means. I like that it is self deprecating.

During this near daily habit of checking out the new posts on mostly the general discussion board, I got to see many great pictures of other fine Rolex watches and what all of you like, dislike or want to see done differently or want to see added as a dial type or other feature

I also learned how to care for my new, thousands of dollars, of watch and what to expect from it in the way of performance in time keeping accuracy and durability.

As seems to be expected behavior, I started to get interested in another Rolex. I like the quirky Milgauss and the new Air King and the Explorer I. I spent a number of months going back and forth about the pros and cons of each one. I think the Milgauss is over priced and the new Air King dial, while i I kinda like it, seems very busy. I finally settled on the Explorer I. Now, how to acquire one. I had several criteria:

- I didn't want to pay list
- I wanted new or "like new"
- I wanted to get rid of an Omega Seamaster I had that I found uncomfortable to wear

I bought the Seamaster from an internet grey market dealer about a month after I bought the subc. I got a great price compared to retail; nearly 40% off. The Omega was brand new with all stickers and manuals and box and whatever else comes with it. Luckily I kept all that stuff as I usually toss it all out. The Omega reputation and the appearance and history of the Seamaster led me to purchase. The grey market dealer held up their end of the bargain perfectly. Great price, fast shipping, new watch. What more could you ask.

Now, deals like that seem to be non-existent for Rolex. New or "like new" at 40% off wasn't available from what I could find online. In fact I only saw around 5% to 8% off for "new."

So what to do? This DavidSW guy gets a lot of ink here. I thought I would ping him via email about what he thought my Omega was worth in trade. He promptly answered and after a couple of email exchanges he gave me a number on it. I then asked if he had the new Explorer I; he did, at a good price for "like new."

Taking a leap of faith based on the views expressed here, I sent my Omega to David with payment for the difference between what he was willing to give me on the Omega and four days later I had my "new to me" Explorer. The entire communication period and transaction took less than a week. David did exactly what he said he would, and so did I; I have a new Rolex and am enjoying it as we speak.

To anyone who wants a decent deal on a Rolex and wants to work with someone who is an honest, straight forward business man you don't have to go any further than DavidSW.

Thank you David!

I love my new Rolex.

I know. Pics or it didn't happen. Wrist shot attached.

Other thoughts. The Exp I is substantially lighter than the subc. Subc is 155 grams and the Exp is 135 grams. That's only around 13% but it feels much lighter than the subc. There seems to be a lot more dial on the Exp, but it's only 3.25 mm wider than the subc; the moving bezel on the subc, I'm sure, is the reason for this. Subc is a never to go out of style classic and the Exp I is a sleek and understated piece of work. When mm's count it doesn't take much either way to make a difference. I have no idea if it would look goofy, but I'd like to look at an Exp I at 42-43mm case width with a 36 or 37mm dial width. I'm thinking it would look really LARGE.

Caliper measurements of the dial widths (or, actually the width of the crystal):
Exp I: 33.75
Subc: 30.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForTRF-small.jpg (98.4 KB, 258 views)
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Congrats!! David is top notch!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 07:56 AM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Congrats!! David is superb to do biz with!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 07:56 AM   #4
antoflo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub
Congratulations on the Explorer !
antoflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 08:03 AM   #5
machob55
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch. I've never used DavidSW but from all accounts he's top notch. Congratulations!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 08:03 AM   #6
bergeronbryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Ironman
Congrats. Yes, Davis is my go-to Rolex man.
bergeronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 08:50 AM   #7
jscw
"TRF" Member

Congratulations to both you and DavidSW
jscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 09:38 AM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Congrats. Very nice addition to your sub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2017, 09:44 AM   #9
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

I traded in my Rolex 114300 + cash to David for an Omega DSoTM. Flawless and super fast transaction. He is really great.
pjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:31 AM   #10
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Congratulations! Wear it in the best of health.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote