The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 March 2007, 07:45 AM   #1
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Watch-friendly activities.

This might not be the right place so feel free to re-direct me. First let me say I'm a Rolex Newbie, so I am naiive about lots of things. I recently bought a new DateSub (which I'm really enjoying) and this week someone told me not to wear it while riding my bike on a bumpy road.

This was a guy with a pretty big collection, so I thought he might have a point. The thing is, I bought this particular watch for the Robust 3135 and because I dive. I'm a wearer, not a collector, so I've worn it for my morning rides which involve hauling up a hill, then screaming down and it is bumpy going down because the road is dodgy and it's fun to go fast. It's a rattly ride. I wouldn't have thought you had to nurse a Rolex, especially with this movement so can anyone tell me if there's any value to this? I really hadn't planned to show this watch such tender mercies.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarson View Post
...this week someone told me not to wear it while riding my bike on a bumpy road...
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard!

If anything, the bike riding will keep the watch wound even better. It is a "perpetual" - it winds itself by the MOTION of your wrist, arm and body. Just ignore that advice. You have come to the right place for proper advice, Peter. The members here are crackerjack!!!
Old 11 March 2007, 07:55 AM   #3
pcarson

That's my impression, and thanks. I'll share his other piece of advice too, more for entertainment than anything else: don't wear it in the shower because soap can break the surface tension of the outer seal. That gem I had to disregard out of hand because I take watches off to sleep and some aspects of my work require "clean" arms so I have to stick my watch away, but I have worn lesser (much lesser!) watches in showers for 25 years and I haven't had a sudden soap incident yet!
Old 11 March 2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's my impression, and thanks. I'll share his other piece of advice too, more for entertainment than anything else: don't wear it in the shower because soap can break the surface tension of the outer seal. That gem I had to disregard out of hand because I take watches off to sleep and some aspects of my work require "clean" arms so I have to stick my watch away, but I have worn lesser (much lesser!) watches in showers for 25 years and I haven't had a sudden soap incident yet!
This guy's advice just keeps getting better and better.

Next, he'll be telling you that you shouldn't wear it in direct sunlight, because the gamma rays distort the mainspring and degrade the quality of the jewels in the movement.

Thanks for the entertainment, Peter!
Old 11 March 2007, 08:05 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

LOL! Peter, if you crash and land on your watch you might put a scratch on it.
Other than that......
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 08:10 AM   #6
pcarson

So, that's not the case, huh? Since talking to him I've been holed up in the disused linear accelerator bunker at the hospital to protect against such rays. The bunker has the advantage of having had the power disconnected, so it's very dark too. I only look at the watch through smoked glass lest my gaze defile it, and then it is lit by an intensity-modified pure 220nm light source which will not excite the luminescent markers. The watch was cheap compared to what I've had to do to keep it safe...
Old 11 March 2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, that's not the case, huh? Since talking to him I've been holed up in the disused linear accelerator bunker at the hospital to protect against such rays. The bunker has the advantage of having had the power disconnected, so it's very dark too. I only look at the watch through smoked glass lest my gaze defile it, and then it is lit by an intensity-modified pure 220nm light source which will not excite the luminescent markers. The watch was cheap compared to what I've had to do to keep it safe...
LMAO

That's a riot, Peter. At least if we have a nuclear attack, you'll be ready!!!
Old 11 March 2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
Remember Peter not to wear it around beautiful women wearing any make up products, as I understand those products can work themselves into the crown and even past the triplock seal and degrade the impermeability of the watch.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 09:22 AM   #9
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Considering I have peers who have worn their Subs through the years diving, parachuting, shooting, conducting combat operations in Iraq/Afghan, and mountain/rock climbing -- I think you will be OK taking your Sub out for a bike ride! Hell, take it on an extreme mountain bike ride!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
pcarson

Thanks guys. I really didn't have any doubts, and urban myth is contagious so it's nice to have a place where there's a lot of experience. Also, the thread has been fun. Can we get back to the make up products that get past the Triplock...
Old 11 March 2007, 11:15 AM   #11
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...Can we get back to the make up products that get past the Triplock...
LOL - That would be any and all Mary Kay products...
Old 11 March 2007, 12:52 PM   #12
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
Welcome, Peter;

What the guys say about the makeup is true.

There was even a study released this past week that said if you look at a woman's cleavage often you could actually live longer. I don't know what kind of hospital work you do but, a plastic surgeon might live forever! We know JJ will.

Get that watch out on it's bike rides and when it gets dirty just scrub it down with some of that anti-bacterial soap to relieve the tension.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

Used theatre scrub soap/brush,for 6 years on my GMT II.The only ill effect was that it left it clean and shiny ... I use the same stuff on my Blue TT Sub and Sea-Dweller.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 01:12 PM   #14
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Used theatre scrub soap/brush,for 6 years on my GMT II.The only ill effect was that it left it clean and shiny ... I use the same stuff on my Blue TT Sub and Sea-Dweller.
That theatre scrub stuff might be appropriate because I swear some of these guys are using make-up on their watches. Their pics are sooooo good!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 01:30 PM   #15
Blue Bull
Banned

Hey,Peter,gotten any snotty remarks form jealous colleagues,on your new Sub .... ??
Old 11 March 2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

ummmm , welcome to TRF
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 08:25 PM   #17
pcarson

Chris, nice to run into you again. I gave your regards to DeW P. He was gobsmacked that I met you on a Rolex forum, so that's another "small world" story. He bought an Omega SMP last year and loves it, and he is jealous of the Sub bcause I think he wants both. The only other comment I got was from a mate who has an Exlorer II, white face, and who told me the Sub was too big and too busy so not to buy it. As soon as he saw it on, he remarked that it was beautiful and he might reconsider. Apart from that, I've had no snottiness and one thing about the Sub is that since it's the protoplasm for almost every other dive watch since the '50's, it looks a lot like a lot of watches, so people are not arrested by it unless they know watches.

A colleague in my office the other day showed me a terribly obvious fake, and he was intrigued that I was wearing a real one, so he wanted to have a fiddle. He knew his was fake, so no drama there, I'm happy to say.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:26 PM   #18
pcarson

PS Consider it scrubbed!
Old 11 March 2007, 10:46 PM   #19
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

hahahahahahahahahahahah WOOOOOOOOO , 400th Post
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 10:48 PM   #20
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Chris, nice to run into you again. I gave your regards to DeW P. He was gobsmacked that I met you on a Rolex forum, so that's another "small world" story. He bought an Omega SMP last year and loves it, and he is jealous of the Sub bcause I think he wants both. The only other comment I got was from a mate who has an Exlorer II, white face, and who told me the Sub was too big and too busy so not to buy it. As soon as he saw it on, he remarked that it was beautiful and he might reconsider. Apart from that, I've had no snottiness and one thing about the Sub is that since it's the protoplasm for almost every other dive watch since the '50's, it looks a lot like a lot of watches, so people are not arrested by it unless they know watches.

A colleague in my office the other day showed me a terribly obvious fake, and he was intrigued that I was wearing a real one, so he wanted to have a fiddle. He knew his was fake, so no drama there, I'm happy to say.
I am sure he is very jealous of your Sub ... When we went to see Roger Waters together,I was still wearing my GMT II red/black and my wife, her ladies TT DJ.He is a good bloke, just has bad taste in watches .. Please DO tell him.

The TT Blue Sub gets noticed,the Sea-Dweller not.

Expl II/white face vs Sub/date ?? Nope,you made the right decision on the Sub .. Great choice as your first Rolex.

The fake Rolex guy ? He can be glad I wasnt there because I HATE fakes !!
Old 11 March 2007, 10:54 PM   #21
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
PS Consider it scrubbed!
Unlike skin,you DONT have to scrub it for 5 min ... Light scrub soap,soft brush,rinse well.
Old 12 March 2007, 01:42 AM   #22
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
leopardprey - age/MOS?
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 03:29 AM   #23
leopardprey
Banned

39 yrs old. Former 18C3V.
Old 12 March 2007, 03:41 AM   #24
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Tell thsi guy to stop using toilet tissue.

Every person who has come down with colon cancer, used toilet tissue.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 05:30 AM   #25
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Former F-riend. Keep 5 yds.
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 09:19 AM   #26
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post

PAtrick
What do you suggest? Corncobs went out a long time ago, and the Sears catalogue pages are way too slick nowadays...
Old 12 March 2007, 09:31 AM   #27
leopardprey
Banned

"Former F-riend. Keep 5 yds."

Huh?? Send me a PM. Thanks and welcome to the forum. Cheers.
Old 12 March 2007, 11:10 AM   #28
pcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post

PAtrick
...and everyone I know who has had breast cancer has had breasts, but that doesn't seem to stop their almost universal appreciation. (Apologies to anyone on the forum who is offended by this observation. I'd hate to get banned so early, but really, can you be offended by a universal truth?)
Old 12 March 2007, 11:19 AM   #29
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
...and everyone I know who has had breast cancer has had breasts, but that doesn't seem to stop their almost universal appreciation. (Apologies to anyone on the forum who is offended by this observation. I'd hate to get banned so early, but really, can you be offended by a universal truth?)
Peter, I just got back from doing Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns, and enjoyed it immensely. I haven't had a chance to welcome you to TRF, but from the way you're fitting right in with the rest of the gang, you don't need a welcome anymore.

Do stick around and continue to join in the fun and games here.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 11:40 AM   #30
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Peter, I just got back from doing Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns, and enjoyed it immensely. I haven't had a chance to welcome you to TRF, but from the way you're fitting right in with the rest of the gang, you don't need a welcome anymore.

Do stick around and continue to join in the fun and games here.
Hear! Hear!! My thoughts exactly, Ed. Peter is a TRF kinda guy, that's for sure!