The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2007, 04:26 AM   #1
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Winding/setting question

I've seen the discussion on here about the merits of winders for non-complicated watches. While I agree they probably aren't necessary, it seems to me they might come in handy for your daily wearer if you for some reason leave it off for a period of time and don't want it to stop. I got a dual job off E-bay the other night. Not a higher priced one but is programmable for several modes, has separate motors etc. So we'll see how that goes. Since we just went through our usual fiasco of daylight savings here in Ohio, I wondered how many guys turn their watches backward. While I know it's supposedly OK to do I find it hard to set it counterclockwise. Just something in my head.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
OysterDavid
Banned

The watch really doesn't mind if you send it spinning backward when traveling west or in the Fall for Standard Time. Once you've stopped the sweep hand with the hacking mechinism, you can twirl the hands to your hearts content and unless you really sent it spinning, the watch will be no worse for wear. Any hesitation about turning back time is in your head and not in the watch. Maybe you'd feel better if you'd check out H G Wells "The Time Machine" on DVD with Yvette Memioux and Rod Taylor.

As for the ebay winders, I wondered about the quality of the lower priced ones on the 'bay, and then I read on a posting here about 8 months ago, the winders were OK. So I bought one for $40, threw in the batteries and it's been spinning regularly ever since. I did need to change the batteries after about 4 months. It's a whole lot more convenient than winding my multiple watches every other day, although I did observe that the watches do keep time differently on the winder as opposed to the wrist.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
Once you've stopped the sweep hand with the hacking mechinism, you can twirl the hands to your hearts content
David, that one of the best sentences I've seen, bravo.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote