The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2021, 05:47 AM   #1
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Looking for advice on bundling

So here's the situation:
I have a purchase history with my current AD. The AD knows I am on the list for a Pepsi and been waiting for about 3 months. Whether there is one in the safe or not, I'll never know.

I've just been presented with a ladies datejust. The thing is, if I buy this datejust, I want to see it bundled with a Pepsi. I've already brought several other watches, and have about a 40k+ spend history, but I don't want to just keep buying watches for the 'someday I'll get a call' watch.

With this being said, is there a polite way of saying I'll buy this ladies DJ provided it's bundled with a Pepsi or other hard to get watch?
samgobigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 05:51 AM   #2
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Were you presented the ladies watch because you inquired about one? or was this random offer by the AD?
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 05:58 AM   #3
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post
So here's the situation:
I have a purchase history with my current AD. The AD knows I am on the list for a Pepsi and been waiting for about 3 months. Whether there is one in the safe or not, I'll never know.

I've just been presented with a ladies datejust. The thing is, if I buy this datejust, I want to see it bundled with a Pepsi. I've already brought several other watches, and have about a 40k+ spend history, but I don't want to just keep buying watches for the 'someday I'll get a call' watch.

With this being said, is there a polite way of saying I'll buy this ladies DJ provided it's bundled with a Pepsi or other hard to get watch?
Hmm, you already have a 40k+ spend history and the AD has not offered to allocate you anything interesting so far?

You can jokingly quip something along the lines of, "Is there a prize for this?" with a laugh as you point at the ladies datejust.

If it's a "we'll keep you in mind" generic response even after all this spend, I'll stay the hell away.

In my experience, my AD was quite ready to offer me a TT sports model after buying a diamond dial DJ36 which I gladly accepted, but after that, they were upfront about telling me that I've got to spend more to get a "warmer" relationship.
Gekota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 05:59 AM   #4
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekota View Post
Hmm, you already have a 40k+ spend history and the AD has not offered to allocate you anything interesting so far?

You can jokingly quip something along the lines of, "Is there a prize for this?" with a laugh as you point at the ladies datejust.

If it's a we'll keep you in mind generic response even after all this spend, I'll stay the hell away.

In my experience, my AD was quite ready to offer me a TT sports model after buying a diamond DJ36, but after that, they were upfront about telling me that I've got to spend more to get a "warmer" relationship.
One of these watches included a SS Sub.
Old 31 March 2021, 06:00 AM   #5
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastS View Post
Were you presented the ladies watch because you inquired about one? or was this random offer by the AD?
I have inquired about ladies Datejust in the past, but it was from a different lineup and dial color.
Old 31 March 2021, 06:11 AM   #6
ec00421
Banned

I'd just be direct and tell them that you'd pick up that DJ (assuming you genuinely have the intention of purchasing that watch) if they bundle it with Pepsi.
ec00421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:21 AM   #7
logo
"TRF" Member

Say this:

“Sir,
My sincerest thanks for considering me for this elegant ladies datejust. My wife should be most appreciative of this fine timepiece. But alas, I am disinclined to acquiesce to this purchase alone, as I fear it renders me in a difficult position where my wife will be with a new time piece and I will be without. As a travelling man of business, this transaction would leave me with an insatiable thirst that can only be quenched by a fresh Pepsi. What’s more, is that a very special anniversary is approaching, and it would be most timely to be able to secure two fine time pieces for myself and my wife for this occasion.

Good sir, I implore you - would you consider bundling the purchase of a datejust with a concurrent purchase of the GMT BLRO?”
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
most eloquent post on any forum to date!
Old 31 March 2021, 06:25 AM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Say this:

“Sir,
My sincerest thanks for considering me for this elegant ladies datejust. My wife should be most appreciative of this fine timepiece. But alas, I am disinclined to acquiesce to this purchase alone, as I fear it renders me in a difficult position where my wife will be with a new time piece and I will be without. As a travelling man of business, this transaction would leave me with an insatiable thirst that can only be quenched by a fresh Pepsi. What’s more, is that a very special anniversary is approaching, and it would be most timely to be able to secure two fine time pieces for myself and my wife for this occasion.

Good sir, I implore you - would you consider bundling the purchase of a datejust with a concurrent purchase of the GMT BLRO?”
Okay, I got nothing to top that!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:31 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Say this:

“Sir,

You must be on public relations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:35 AM   #11
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec00421 View Post
I'd just be direct and tell them that you'd pick up that DJ (assuming you genuinely have the intention of purchasing that watch) if they bundle it with Pepsi.
Same here.

I would casually say "you know what, I'll pick up that Datejust if you throw in the Pepsi GMT. What do you say? I can purchase TODAY."

If he/she says they'll think about it, or to buy the DJ first and you'll get the Pepsi later, I would say something like "no no, I mean walk out with both at the same time. Call me when you have the Pepsi and I'll take both."
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:35 AM   #12
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Keep it simple only bundle for watches you truly want period. 40k of spending there should have some weight already
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:45 AM   #13
tmoy810
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity. Did your 40k of spending consists of only Rolex? Or where there other items bundled in as well?
tmoy810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:47 AM   #14
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoy810 View Post
Out of curiosity. Did your 40k of spending consists of only Rolex? Or where there other items bundled in as well?
1 stainless steel Rolex, 2 Datejust and another Omega watch
Old 31 March 2021, 06:49 AM   #15
envuks
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

My advice: tell said AD that you want both watches, but you need to buy them together to mark a special occasion (make up what it is, not time sensitive).

Tell the AD you’re in, but need them both at the same time for a special pick up event. Pick them up with your wife/GF/friend/random lady/etc who gets sized for the other watch:

Be patient. 3 months on a BLRO is not long so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:50 AM   #16
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Say this:

“Sir,

Old 31 March 2021, 06:51 AM   #17
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec00421 View Post
Good point. Key word being Genuinely interested. I’d hate to make an offer and have it backfire on me. Imagine 3 months later he says: your Pepsi came in. Now don’t forget about that ladies datejust we talked about.

If I was completely honest, the ladies datejust is just there to increase purchase history than anything else. I’ll have to see what the wife thinks of it first though.
Old 31 March 2021, 06:52 AM   #18
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
With a $40K spend history, you should be able to get a Pepsi with that DJ.

I would tell your AD you are considering the DJ but would definitely buy if it was bundled with a Pepsi. Don't sound entitled, just state the facts. With your history, this is a reasonable offer.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:57 AM   #19
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
You’ve spent 40k but that has included a SS sub.

I would say that you may need to start again, they might be thinking that you’ve already received your allocation piece when you got the sub. You might be way off getting the BLRO.

Therefore I would take the direct approach that others have already described.

“I would love to have the ladies DJ and the Pepsi at the same time please, otherwise I am happy to wait to get the DJ some other time”

Giangos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 06:59 AM   #20
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Say this:

“Sir,

Love it.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:03 AM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Buy what you want. Don't buy what you don't want.

If you want the DJ, then it never hurts to ask for a bundle with the BLRO. It sounds like your AD is milking you but I guess you have to be there.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:05 AM   #22
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
You’ve spent 40k but that has included a SS sub.

I would say that you may need to start again, they might be thinking that you’ve already received your allocation piece when you got the sub. You might be way off getting the BLRO.

Therefore I would take the direct approach that others have already described.

“I would love to have the ladies DJ and the Pepsi at the same time please, otherwise I am happy to wait to get the DJ some other time”

Unfortunately, I echo similar sentiments to this post.

You may already have had your allocation piece with that SS Sub, and the goodwill has been used.

You might just have to build up that goodwill again, but it would not hurt to be more straightforward at this point and politely request for a pair-up of your desired piece with that ladies dj.
Gekota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:17 AM   #23
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post

First, do you really want the ladies’ DJ??

If yes, say “I’ll buy this ladies’ DJ provided it’s bundled with a Pepsi”

There, that wasn’t so hard, was it?
Old 31 March 2021, 07:31 AM   #24
nyc10ken
Banned

Ive never heard of anyone being "offered" a ladies DJ from an AD. Thats like being offered a Cellini. OP likely expressed interest, in that case I dont think is enough to get a Pepsi.

Bundling may work in some countries AD, but I havent seen it work too well in the United States unless youre a grey dealer and buy a lot of DJ and TT. Because for Rolex what if you flip the DJ for a loss then the value of the DJs on secondary market is decreased if everybody does it, doesnt help the DJ market or the overall brand really.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:36 AM   #25
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Bundling could be appealing for them, I would tell your associate clearly about your proposal.

You got 3 watches from them, and they gave you the SS Sub.
Objectively 1 lady dj might not be enough for the BLRO.
But never say never.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:43 AM   #26
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
40k CAD inc a Sub doesn’t sound enough to me with a ladies DJ...Happy to be proved wrong tho.
Old 31 March 2021, 07:45 AM   #27
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Ive never heard of anyone being "offered" a ladies DJ from an AD. Thats like being offered a Cellini. OP likely expressed interest, in that case I dont think is enough to get a Pepsi.

Bundling may work in some countries AD, but I havent seen it work too well in the United States unless youre a grey dealer and buy a lot of DJ and TT. Because for Rolex what if you flip the DJ for a loss then the value of the DJs on secondary market is decreased if everybody does it, doesnt help the DJ market or the overall brand really.

No one is looking at anyone ‘flipping’ ladies DJs.

Buying a ladies DJ (assuming you want one) defiantly helps in my view if you want a SS Rolex. And it can’t hurt to ask, I would use humour. Despite all the bluster above, there is no need to be blunt.

‘Happy to take the DJ, as long as you throw in a Pepsi in a buy two get two deal’.

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:46 AM   #28
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I am so glad that I don’t have to play the bundle game with my AD. I completely understand how this is necessary in some markets, but it is crazy.
S’portEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 07:57 AM   #29
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I am so glad that I don’t have to play the bundle game with my AD. I completely understand how this is necessary in some markets, but it is crazy.
I don't think it's necessary in any market. But if buyers are susceptible to being groomed, then the ADs will mop up. And why not? Easy money, better cashflow.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 09:21 AM   #30
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I bundled a TT Lady Datejust with a BLRO on the basis that it was 'all or nothing' as they were joint birthday presents. First purchase from this particular AD, and they came through for us - they went above and beyond to make it happen, good AD's do exist, and this one was spectacular - they rightfully earned a loyal customer.

I would just be very clear that you will collect both at the same time, if the DJ arrives first tell them to stick it in the safe until the Pepsi arrives...
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote