The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2022, 05:22 AM   #1
evlhomer
"TRF" Member

216570 Service Question

Hi all,

I have a question for the group. I have an Explorer II 216570 I purchased new last year in April. I am quite happy the watch. But I noticed last year that the watch is running anywhere between +5 to +10 seconds fast per day. When I saw this I thought the watch might be magnetized. I checked it with compass and it did move the needle. I purchased a demagnetizer and used it on the watch and rechecked the compass, no needle movement. So it was safe to say (I think) the watch is demagnetized. I have continued to check it over the past two months, and still no needle movement on the compass. Still the watch continues to run fast.

I read somewhere that putting the watch in vertical position overnight with the crown up or down may help retard the time on the watch. I have tried this over the past month without noticeable improvement.

My question (sorry for the long winded background) is this. Do I:
1. Send in the watch to the RSC?
2. See if it can be regulated by my Rolex AD?
3. Accept the fast time and learn to move on?

Seeking input from knowledgeable folks on this board. Thanks!
evlhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 07:12 AM   #2
saxo3
"TRF" Member

216570 Service Question

If your watch consistently runs too fast, then it can be regulated. Anything up to +5 s/d does not bother me.

Before giving your watch somebody else I would try all different rest positions (including dial up and dial down) and evaluate the effect.

I have some watches that can NOT be compensated by any rest position because their movement rates are positive in all positions.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 07:35 AM   #3
DublinDec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
My 14060m is running +15 seconds. It's new to me and I gather has never been serviced, so I might bite the bullet and send it to the RSC

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
DublinDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 07:48 AM   #4
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Rolex spec is +/- 2 seconds per day. It's not in spec, send to RSC.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 08:05 AM   #5
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
Rolex spec is +/- 2 seconds per day. It's not in spec, send to RSC.
COSC specs are -4 to +6 seconds over 24 hours.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 08:19 AM   #6
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Your watch likely needs a simple regulation. I see you are from Colorado (me too). If possible and you are willing, I suggest you take it to Ben Bridge Jewelers in Lone Tree. They have an in-house Rolex certified watchmaker (Ryan) who is excellent IMO. He regulated a DJ for me while I waited and even let me come into his work space to watch the process. As I recall there was a charge of $25 (?) because I did not buy the watch from Ben Bridge.
Old 20 January 2022, 01:04 PM   #7
evlhomer
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Your watch likely needs a simple regulation. I see you are from Colorado (me too). If possible and you are willing, I suggest you take it to Ben Bridge Jewelers in Lone Tree. They have an in-house Rolex certified watchmaker (Ryan) who is excellent IMO. He regulated a DJ for me while I waited and even let me come into his work space to watch the process. As I recall there was a charge of $25 (?) because I did not buy the watch from Ben Bridge.
Thanks so much for this suggestion Annan. I actually purchased my Tudor GMT and Sub Date from BB in Lone Tree, so I know them well.

To comment on another poster's question - Yes, the watch has been consistently running fast. The lowest + range I have seen while monitoring the watch was +3 spd. But as stated previously, it is a more consistent +5 to +10 spd.
evlhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 01:10 PM   #8
rolexlover116610
"TRF" Member

Micro-stella adjustment is required three one second turn on two, and it will rest at -1 per day

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
rolexlover116610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 02:08 PM   #9
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I wore a 2019 216570 every day for 2 years. From the day I brought it home it ran anywhere from 5-10 seconds fast exactly like you described. I never did anything with it and 5-10 seconds never bothered me.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 04:23 PM   #10
saxo3
"TRF" Member

216570 Service Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlhomer View Post
To comment on another poster's question - Yes, the watch has been consistently running fast. The lowest + range I have seen while monitoring the watch was +3 spd. But as stated previously, it is a more consistent +5 to +10 spd.
A movement that either runs +3 or +5 or +7 or +10 s/d is not consistent.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 04:33 PM   #11
liuk3
"TRF" Member

If you bought new last year, it should still be covered under warranty if you send to RSC.
Old 21 January 2022, 01:30 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Agree with Ron. While I'll leave the knowledge of watchmakers in Colorado to him, I would second the notion that a simple regulation is most likely all you need. I recently had my watchmaker regulate one of my watches from +6 to +1, a very simple task.

I might add that if the watchmaker is qualified to do that, he could probably check and see if the watch needs anything else.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote