The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2021, 03:30 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Transferring warranty from international purchase

I was browsing the forums here and I read that Rolex requires a bill of sale (receipt) for service for watches purchased internationally. Is this true?

Has anyone purchased grey (even from a trusted seller here) with a warranty card from international (lets say Mexico), and had any issues with service under the warranty? Has anyone been asked to provide proof of purchase?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 03:48 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Never had an issue with warranty service (couple times it's happened) with out of country AD stamped warranty cards. No request for bill of sale etc.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 03:48 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I was browsing the forums here and I read that Rolex requires a bill of sale (receipt) for service for watches purchased internationally. Is this true?

Has anyone purchased grey (even from a trusted seller here) with a warranty card from international (lets say Mexico), and had any issues with service under the warranty? Has anyone been asked to provide proof of purchase?
As long as the warranty is activated by any official Rolex AD world wide, the warranty will be valid for any warranty work needed in the warranty period.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 03:57 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
A true Grey Market watch has bypassed the Rolex authorized distributor network and was improperly sold to a retail customer by a non-AD. It does not have a valid warranty and Rolex, or any company, has the right to verify if their product has met their requirements for warranty work.

Buying a Grey Market car part, camera part, or any other Grey item and they tell you up front that there is no factory warranty. Only Rolex buyers seem to think that they are different.

We have had these discussions for years. Many seem to think that the Grey Market is the Secondary Market, but they are not associated.
Old 15 June 2021, 04:03 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A true Grey Market watch has bypassed the Rolex authorized distributor network and was improperly sold to a retail customer by a non-AD. It does not have a valid warranty and Rolex, or any company, has the right to verify if their product has met their requirements for warranty work.

Buying a Grey Market car part, camera part, or any other Grey item and they tell you up front that there is no factory warranty. Only Rolex buyers seem to think that they are different.

We have had these discussions for years. Many seem to think that the Grey Market is the Secondary Market, but they are not associated.
Do you consider DavidSw to fit what you're describing here?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 04:10 AM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Do you consider DavidSw to fit what you're describing here?

David is just a reseller of watches, not a true "gray market" dealer. Unless the watch was not originally sold from an AD, it will have the warranty as long as you have the card and it was activated. I'm not aware of any actual gray Rolex market, i.e. they've all come from an AD at some point.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 04:13 AM   #7
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Not an issue at all.

I bought my DJ41 from DavidSW and sent it in for warranty work earlier this year. The warranty card is stamped from an AD in Singapore. I sent it to the Dallas service center no problem.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 04:16 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There are anecdotal reports of RSC NYC asking for original bill of sale for warranty work on Rolex sold outside the USA. Other reports claim RSC Dallas and other RSC in the US don't request it.

If you are the potential second owner of a Rolex purchased outside the US, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask the first owner if he still has the original bill of sale and if he could include a copy of it as part of the sale.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 04:22 AM   #9
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
David is just a reseller of watches, not a true "gray market" dealer.
Huh?

If you sell Rolex, you are either an Authorized Dealer, or a grey market dealer, and DavidSW is certainly not an AD.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 04:27 AM   #10
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Huh?

If you sell Rolex, you are either an Authorized Dealer, or a grey market dealer, and DavidSW is certainly not an AD.
He is a pre owned dealer. All his watches have been sold via an AD already even the BNIB ones. "Grey Market" dealers sell brand new goods imported through unofficial channels, i.e. Without a manufacturer warranty.

I think the term "grey market" is a hangover from decades ago when such a thing really existed. Watch guys just use it to describe large pre owned dealers.