The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2007, 04:26 AM   #1
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Is this Z end?

With all the different used Rolexes out there with all the different letters to show when they were made, is the Z going to be the best of the bunch, since it is the last of the old GMT design and represents the end of the old school Rolexes?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 05:07 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
With all the different used Rolexes out there with all the different letters to show when they were made, is the Z going to be the best of the bunch, since it is the last of the old GMT design and represents the end of the old school Rolexes?
I don't see how a Z-series Rolex could be the BEST of the bunch. "Z" is just a new letter to declare the start of a new serial number series, that's all!!

In no way would it differ from the quality of say, the previous "D" or "F" or "Y" or whatever.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 05:12 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

RLEXNCSWTUAPKYFD OR Z the only difference since 1988 except the Daytona,are so minor its not real worth talking about it.The plain fact is one case was stamped a bit earlier/ later than the other end of story.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Robert, I know exactly what you mean, and yes I agree with you.....I can certainly see why people in 10 or 15 years time would ask for or try to collect a Z series sports watch from the "old" line of sports watches.....In fact that is exactly why I was in such a rush to get my two Z's before they were enhanced/upgraded/discontinued.
I dont think it is too much of a jump for people to want "the last of the line".
That has certainly been my experience in collecting other things apart from watches.......broadly speaking people either want the first of a new line or the last of the old line.....just human nature I suppose
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 05:38 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I just don't get the logic of all this, guys.

When the "Z" series comes to an end (which shouldn't be too far off now), it will be followed by some other alphabet letter which has not yet been used by Rolex.

So would the next alphabet be the BEST Rolex?

It's just a serial number indicator - that's all - nothing more, nothing less....and in NO WAY reflects on the QUALITY CONTROL at Rolex or the components inside the watch.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 July 2007, 06:51 AM   #6
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
there are a few owners of new rolex models showing a mix of letters and numerals for their serial numbers.....seems like after Z, it's really the new mix....:P

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 06:57 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
there are a few owners of new rolex models showing a mix of letters and numerals for their serial numbers.....seems like after Z, it's really the new mix....:P
I bought a "Z" series Blue Sub in December which is Z-27xxxx.

Two weeks ago I got the new Exp-II which is Z-28xxxx.

Funnily enough, the Sub came with the paper warranty sheet, while the Exp-II came with the new plastic warranty card.

By the same token, guys have purchased newer Z-54xxxx Rollies and have still received the warranty paper.

JJ

Old 8 July 2007, 07:24 AM   #8
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
No, but "Z" will be the LAST letter standing sort of speak.

I am not sure whether Rolex has already initiated it, but the "Date Letters" are going to be discontinued so that the Rolex watch will bear a serial number only.

That way, after the Non Date Letter Rolex watches are entering the market, the "Z" will be the "newest and most fresh" Rolex on the Grey Market, if you want to go for a Date Letter Rolex.

So in that way, the "Z" just might become desirable.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:25 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
No, but "Z" will be the LAST letter standing sort of speak.

I am not sure whether Rolex has already initiated it, but the "Date Letters" are going to be discontinued so that the Rolex watch will bear a serial number only.

That way, after the Non Date Letter Rolex watches are entering the market, the "Z" will be the "newest and most fresh" Rolex on the Grey Market, if you want to go for a Date Letter Rolex.

So in that way, the "Z" just might become desirable.
Thanks, Bo....but can you substantiate this to be a fact?

Old 8 July 2007, 07:28 AM   #10
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Thanks, Bo....but can you substantiate this to be a fact?

It was mentioned by Rolex at Baselworld 2007.

Old 8 July 2007, 07:35 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
It was mentioned by Rolex at Baselworld 2007.
Thanks, Bo.....so that means both my Z-series Rollies could be worth a million bucks a few years down the line, uh?

Old 8 July 2007, 07:38 AM   #12
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Bo.....so that means both my Z-series Rollies could be worth a million bucks a few years down the line, uh?
Well, probably not

Since we are talking a LOT of watches and the WHOLE Rolex range to boot.

But I guess they can be called "Transition Models", but I guess they won't be hyped like the Sub 168000 for instance.

Anyway, apparantly Rolex bought these days still have the Letter Date, so when the Letter Date is going to be omitted, I don't know.

Old 8 July 2007, 07:40 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Well, probably not

But I guess they can be called "Transition Models", but I guess they won't be hyped like the Sub 168000 for instance.

Anyway, apparantly Rolex bought these days still have the Letter Date, so when the Letter Date is going to be omitted, I don't know.
What do you mean by "Letter Date"...please explain!!

So if Rolex discontinue the alphabets, won't the new serial numbers clash with the much older ones from the '70s, '80s, etc.?

Old 8 July 2007, 07:49 AM   #14
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "Letter Date"...please explain!!

So if Rolex discontinue the alphabets, won't the new serial numbers clash with the much older ones from the '70s, '80s, etc.?

By Letter Date I mean the "Z" (for example) that Rolex uses as a code for when the watch was manufactured.

That letter (giving the date of manufacture) will be omitted, and a serial number will be made containing ALSO a date code, but in form of a ciffre that ONLY Rolex knows.

I believe this topic was on board here after the release of the Baselworld 2007models. Cannot find it here, though, but if any of you do, please provide the link.

The news about discontinuing the Date Letter I have from a German watch forum and from a member who actually joined the Baselworld 2007 Fair. He was also one of the first to get told that the new plastic card certificates were on their way. Again, I cannot remember that member's nick, and it would take ages to search and find that thread again.

But my memory is very good

Old 8 July 2007, 07:51 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
By Letter Date I mean the "Z" (for example) that Rolex uses as a code for when the watch was manufactured.

That letter (giving the date of manufacture) will be omitted, and a serial number will be made containing ALSO a date code, but in form of a ciffre that ONLY Rolex knows.

I believe this topic was on board here after the release of the Baselworld 2007models. Cannot find it here, though, but if any of you do, please provide the link.

The news about discontinuing the Date Letter I have from a German watch forum and from a member who actually joined the Baselworld 2007 Fair. He was also one of the first to get told that the new plastic card certificates were on their way. Again, I cannot remember that member's nick, and it would take ages to search and find that thread again.

But my memory is very good
Thanks, Bo....interesting information!!

Old 8 July 2007, 07:57 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex has only used up 17 letters of the alphabet using a fairly random selection process.

Why does everyone say that "Z" is the last when it, apparently, is only another random selection since RLEX..Can't count the O since Rolex has admitted they did not use it initially because it looked like the number zero.

So here's a question for the "experts" if Spacey is not correct: (insert possible hijack here)

What letters have NOT been used as a Rolex serial prefix.??

Will one of those letters be next ??

Why the hell not ??
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 08:13 AM   #17
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Much about Rolex is ONE big "WHY?", isn't it? Rolex is and has always been very secretive!

I cannot tell you the answer.

I can find out for you which letters Rolex have not used yet.

But that does not prove anything.

Rolex does want Rolex wants to.

Old 8 July 2007, 08:58 AM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

My understanding is that Rolex is going (or has gone to) some type of random serial numbering system. The purpose of which I believe is to curtail counterfiting attempts.
I'm sure Rolex will be able to "track" your watch if/when it goes in for service.
Whether this system is in effect yet or not I don't know. Certainly there are watches in the pipeline still that bear a letter prefix.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 09:01 AM   #19
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
My understanding is that Rolex is going (or has gone to) some type of random serial numbering system. The purpose of which I believe is to curtail counterfiting attempts.
I'm sure Rolex will be able to "track" your watch if/when it goes in for service.
Whether this system is in effect yet or not I don't know. Certainly there are watches in the pipeline still that bear a letter prefix.
Thanks, Mike. Basically my words

As far as I have understood, yes, Rolex will be able to track the date of manufacture, but only Rolex will know the secret behind the numbers since they are randomly made and kept.........for their records only.

Old 8 July 2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Teofilo

I think the main importance of the Z series will be for the sports/tool/professional watches that are being updated, such as GMT II (old style),Sub non date,possibly the Sub date,possibly the Exp II.........
A Z series watch will signify that point in time when Rolex changed from being a sports watch firm to being a bling watch firm.
I am certainly not criticising the new GMT II, because I love the look of it and will get one when I can, at last, get it at a decent discount...........but it is a new "breed" of watch, more jewellery than rough and ready.....
I'm sure that people will come to appreciate the difference more and more as time goes on.
Old 8 July 2007, 09:16 AM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
I think the main importance of the Z series will be for the sports/tool/professional watches that are being updated, such as GMT II (old style),Sub non date,possibly the Sub date,possibly the Exp II.........
A Z series watch will signify that point in time when Rolex changed from being a sports watch firm to being a bling watch firm.
I am certainly not criticising the new GMT II, because I love the look of it and will get one when I can, at last, get it at a decent discount...........but it is a new "breed" of watch, more jewellery than rough and ready.....
I'm sure that people will come to appreciate the difference more and more as time goes on.
Peter that's very well put.

A failing we sometimes have is to view the brand in the microcosm of the hear and now. We tend to forget the history of the brand and where it's been.
In no small measure my love of the acryllic stems from the fact these were the watches I grew up with. They're not "as vintage" to me as to some. LOL!

The current references are the watches most here have come to accept as "their" Rolex.
My guess the new buyers (and some of us more seasoned buyers) will come to accept the new wave of references comming in in due course.
In many ways we are wintess to a new era in the history of Rolex. Some will be good, some will be bad, that's the way of all things.
Old 9 July 2007, 02:32 AM   #22
Teofilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Peter that's very well put.

A failing we sometimes have is to view the brand in the microcosm of the hear and now. We tend to forget the history of the brand and where it's been.
In no small measure my love of the acryllic stems from the fact these were the watches I grew up with. They're not "as vintage" to me as to some. LOL!

The current references are the watches most here have come to accept as "their" Rolex.
My guess the new buyers (and some of us more seasoned buyers) will come to accept the new wave of references comming in in due course.
In many ways we are wintess to a new era in the history of Rolex. Some will be good, some will be bad, that's the way of all things.
Mike, did you collect most of your watches "at the time", rather than some years later when they had become rarer/more collectable ? If so, it must be a superb feeling to have so many fantastic watches that have been with you "from new".........
I dont think I will ever be a collector of Rolex in the true sense of the word, because I lack the spare funds to build up any sort of collection. I am 39 now and own 2. I would think the most I would reasonably expect to own and keep in my lifetime would be 4 or 5.
Fair play to you for having the foresight and funds to build up such a great collection.
Old 9 July 2007, 03:23 AM   #23
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mike, did you collect most of your watches "at the time", rather than some years later when they had become rarer/more collectable ? If so, it must be a superb feeling to have so many fantastic watches that have been with you "from new".........
I dont think I will ever be a collector of Rolex in the true sense of the word, because I lack the spare funds to build up any sort of collection. I am 39 now and own 2. I would think the most I would reasonably expect to own and keep in my lifetime would be 4 or 5.
Fair play to you for having the foresight and funds to build up such a great collection.
Thanks!

A little of both actually. Certain pieces I have I am the orginal owner. Like most, in those days I certainly wasn't a "collector", but one who simply loved and used the brand.
I did add along the way as resources permitted and later as I became more interested in the history of the brand I looked for those pieces that would "compliment" or "complete" my little group.
Though my humble little gathering can't compare with some of the wonderfull collections I've been fortunate to see, I do take a lot of satisfaction in the fact some of my watches and I have shared some interesting experiences.
Old 9 July 2007, 03:53 AM   #24
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Having been around antiques and collectibles all my life, I can say with a bit of confidence that there are people out there who will pay some kind of a premium for a Z Rollie, where that is the last series made.

For instance, the "old" GMT Z series, will likely fetch some kind of a premium over older models. Whether this premium will translate into "cash", or just more of a willlingness to buy a Z over, say, an earlier model, that remains to be seen. But for an owner of a Z GMT, it's pretty nice to be able to say: This watch is of the last series ever made!
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 03:58 AM   #25
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Lover View Post
Having been around antiques and collectibles all my life, I can say with a bit of confidence that there are people out there who will pay some kind of a premium for a Z Rollie, where that is the last series made.

For instance, the "old" GMT Z series, will likely fetch some kind of a premium over older models. Whether this premium will translate into "cash", or just more of a willlingness to buy a Z over, say, an earlier model, that remains to be seen. But for an owner of a Z GMT, it's pretty nice to be able to say: This watch is of the last series ever made!

Haha, I bet you have a Z-series GMT

Old 9 July 2007, 04:11 AM   #26
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, I bet you have a Z-series GMT

Absolutely!

And a Z series LV! (I hope they discontinue it soon!)
Old 9 July 2007, 08:16 AM   #27
Teofilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Lover View Post
Absolutely!

And a Z series LV! (I hope they discontinue it soon!)
If £3000.00 fell out of a tree tomorrow, I would buy an LV in a heartbeat. It is just a fantastic looking watch. However, as that is fairly unlikely I will just have to be happy with the two that I have got
From other Rolex Forums it looks like the LV will disappear for good when they update the Subdate.........good move getting the LV when you did !
Old 9 July 2007, 08:23 AM   #28
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If £3000.00 fell out of a tree tomorrow, I would buy an LV in a heartbeat. It is just a fantastic looking watch. However, as that is fairly unlikely I will just have to be happy with the two that I have got
From other Rolex Forums it looks like the LV will disappear for good when they update the Subdate.........good move getting the LV when you did !
I know what you mean, I'm looking for that money tree myself! So many rollies, so few money trees... I'm hoping the LV will get discontinued in 2008, after five years of production!
Old 9 July 2007, 09:22 AM   #29
seanbrooklyn

Watch: explorer 114270
from what I hear, a random number will be used after "z" so that only rolex will be able to tell the year, z will be the last models that everyone will be able to tell what year they are from. -Sean
seanbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:46 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbrooklyn View Post
from what I hear, a random number will be used after "z" so that only rolex will be able to tell the year, z will be the last models that everyone will be able to tell what year they are from. -Sean
Not necessarily, Sean.

I'm pretty sure, Rolex will come up with some method in this madness manner of determining and establishing a sure-fire date of manufacture from their new system of serial numbering.

JJ