The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: is rolex a status symbol watch
yes 120 87.59%
no 17 12.41%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 July 2007, 02:03 PM   #1
triton
"TRF" Member

Is Rolex a status symbol watch

Just like to know what are your views as to if rolex is a status symbol watch

here in sg, the boss *mainly chinese* wears a rolex. it shows that they have 'made it' in terms of life. most of them wears the gold or gold with diamonds.

however, the younger generation now wear the sports models.
triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Too some extent it certainly is for most, and that is not a bad thing, just true.

For many WIS it is a symbol of appreciation for strong, fine, reliable and good looking timepieces.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Yes, I guess to most people out there, it would be a status symbol....just like a BMW or a Merc or, for that matter, any high-end quality product.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Too some extent it certainly is for most, and that is not a bad thing, just true.

For many WIS it is a symbol of appreciation for strong, fine, reliable and good looking timepieces.

I agree, to some extent it it. But I do not wear one for status or to show off, I simply think that they are the best looking watches money can buy. I love the looks and quality.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Absolutely.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Mennald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Yes, a Rolex is perceived as a status symbol.

116300, 116333, 116334, 116400V, 116520, 116610LV, 116610LN, 116710, 116718, 218239, PAM 90, 126600
Mennald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 02:55 PM   #7
puffnmo

What's wrong with a Rolex being a status symbol anyway .... the world is a sandbox and I love to play... Larry
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Well all watches may be a status symbol. They just may be low status.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
definately not to mention it has the quality to back it up...
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
To some, they are nothing but a status symbol. Something to flash at people and show-off.

To me, a Rolex represents fine mechanical craftsmanship and design. In a world where most products have been "cost-reduced" to the point that they are not really worth having, a Rolex is designed and built to last a lifetime or longer. Like any other manmade device, they require occasional service and repair, but they are designed and constructed so that those necessary repairs are possible. How many times have you purchased a device or machine that you can't even have repaired...a disposable gizmo of some sort?

Until I bought my first Rolex (in 1990), I'd NEVER had a watch last more than a year. I was paying ~$100 each for these disposable watches (1-3 times per year) in 1980's and 1970's dollars. I have always appreciated well made things, so in a fit of disgust I was determined to find a watch that would last! I paid $500 for my second hand Air King, and it runs and looks as good as new. I had it serviced once by Rolex in 2001 or 02. I just started wearing it again about 6 weeks ago when I sent my Tudor Chronograph into the local watchmaker for service.

To me, a Rolex represents quality and longevity. It's actually the cheapest watch I've ever owned considering the ongoing costs of buying $300-$400 worth of disposable POS watches each year over the last 17 years (and the fact that I could triple my money if I decided to sell it).

I have no "status", I'm just a guy who likes and appreciates fine things. I think it just makes sense to own and enjoy a Rolex watch. I'm no Red Adair, or golf pro, or Everest conquerer, or opera singer like in the ads; I'm just an engineer who believes in getting his money's worth!

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 04:38 PM   #11
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
There is a saying here in Russian that when translated goes, "I do not make enough money to be cheap quality things."
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I never use my Rolex as a status symbol, I don´t care if someone see it.

Jocke
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 05:40 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 July 2007, 06:21 PM   #14
amanda
Banned

The fact its seen as a status symbol by some people totally puts me off owning one (well I do own 1 but its a pretty low key model) I wore the GMT for a few weeks, had at least 10 people point and say 'is that real' or 'geez we pay you too much' blah blah blah hated it... hated it hated it. The Panerai draws no attention at all.... occasionally I'll notice someone staring at my wrist but usually they dont comment.

Which peeves me off as I'd love a Sub no-date and I just hope it doesnt get the same bullcrap reactions off people that the pepsi gmt gave....

I didnt vote by the way... i'd like another field.. 'i wish it wasnt a status symbol'
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 06:23 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
The fact its seen as a status symbol by some people totally puts me off owning one (well I do own 1 but its a pretty low key model) I wore the GMT for a few weeks, had at least 10 people point and say 'is that real' or 'geez we pay you too much' blah blah blah hated it... hated it hated it. The Panerai draws no attention at all.... occasionally I'll notice someone staring at my wrist but usually they dont comment.

Which peeves me off as I'd love a Sub no-date and I just hope it doesnt get the same bullcrap reactions off people that the pepsi gmt gave....

I didnt vote by the way... i'd like another field.. 'i wish it wasnt a status symbol'
Well, Amanda...I wouldn't let any comments deter me from getting something I really loved. As long as YOU are genuinely happy with it....that's all that really matters at the end of the day!!

Old 8 July 2007, 06:43 PM   #16
Blue Bull
Banned

Its the Pimps watch,the Billionares watch,Average Joe's watch,the Watch Lovers watch.Doesnt matter who wears it,in the watch world ,Rolex is the business
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:00 PM   #17
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

rolex is a status symbol. Everybody knows the name rolex and the combine it with wealth
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:04 PM   #18
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Well, whether you like it or not, it definitely is a status symbol.

I think most of us here don't wear it as such, (which is good) but it definitely is.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:25 PM   #19
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
rolex is a status symbol. Everybody knows the name rolex and the combine it with wealth
Exactly, and I dont know how will a blue TT look so cocky on my wrist but I dont care I will finally buy.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:31 PM   #20
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aykun325 View Post
Exactly, and I dont know how will a blue TT look so cocky on my wrist but I dont care I will finally buy.
Well, you are not cocky, you have a great attitude, so it will look great on you!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 07:44 PM   #21
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
dun subscribe and dun believe

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 08:01 PM   #22
STB
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, JLC, Rolex
Well, of course it is. Would you buy one without the logo, or Rolex brand printed?

Last edited by STB; 9 July 2007 at 12:04 AM..
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 08:05 PM   #23
amanda
Banned

I think the general person on the street that doesnt know much about watches thinks Rolex is like a $20,000 watch.. like thats the starting price to get one... so alot of the comments and 'status' may centre around that.

Also I once was looking for some information on my VW Golf on a WV Forum and stumbled across a post asking about watches. One guy totally ribbed another because he drove a 10yr old VW and wore Rolex... he was dumbfounded, 'you wear a rolex and drive that piece of crap' was the general consensus... a few more posts down, you could see that this guy thought a Rolex as a big gold laiden diamond encrusted watch that cost 50k... he had no idea that you could purchase a Rolex for as little as 2k if you do your home work.

I found it all amusing and a little sad
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 08:36 PM   #24
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I guess all know Rolex and what the price of it is, or at least most people know that it is expensive. So owning one? Yes, it is a status symbol.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 08:40 PM   #25
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I think the general person on the street that doesnt know much about watches thinks Rolex is like a $20,000 watch.. like thats the starting price to get one... so alot of the comments and 'status' may centre around that.

Also I once was looking for some information on my VW Golf on a WV Forum and stumbled across a post asking about watches. One guy totally ribbed another because he drove a 10yr old VW and wore Rolex... he was dumbfounded, 'you wear a rolex and drive that piece of crap' was the general consensus... a few more posts down, you could see that this guy thought a Rolex as a big gold laiden diamond encrusted watch that cost 50k... he had no idea that you could purchase a Rolex for as little as 2k if you do your home work.

I found it all amusing and a little sad
Wow nice that you are a VW fan, by the way I bought a 10 year old BMW and I'm member of a BMW forum and at a meeting with a much more expensive BMW I saw a guy with a FAKE Rolex Daytona. But no body can not tell me that why I drive an old BMW with a real ROLEX cause BMW prices in TUrkey is 3 times more expensive than in USA and it's hard to buy. By the way 1 thing that you think is wrong. As I see nobody thinks that ROLEXes are 20K unless they are gold or have golden parts. SS Rolex owners will be angry to me but really gold or any part in yellow color makes ROLEX to look like 20K ROLEX even it's 7K but SS doesnt show the logo even till 2007 all is thin and brushed and now platinium big and shining cases has come.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 09:03 PM   #26
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
No
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 11:03 PM   #27
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Status symbol?

NO - the proliferation of fakes has put paid to that.
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 11:08 PM   #28
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasuretim View Post
NO - the proliferation of fakes has put paid to that.

I would say on the contrary! Fakes make the status of owning the real thing even greater.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 11:24 PM   #29
mike
"TRF" Member

Sure. Even back in the day Rolex was seen as a bit of a status symbol.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 11:46 PM   #30
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Of course it is a status symbol. You either wear one to show that you like the best things in life like the quality look and impeccable engineering of a classic swiss timepiece. Or you wear it to show off how much money you have (or think you have). When it comes to fine (even good) watches Rolex is about the only name people know. Because it has such status and cachet. Just because it is a status symbol doesn't take anything away from it. I am glad that I am successful enough to be able to own some. Besides, I own them for ME and nobody else. I bet most of you tossers feel the same way.

Last edited by GoldenBear; 9 July 2007 at 03:12 AM..
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote