The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Does Rolex Pay Attention to TRF?

Just out of curiosity, do you think that Rolex employees (e.g., in sales and marketing, R&D, QC functions, etc.) read this forum and take some of our feedback on board?

I know that TRF is not affiliated with Rolex in any way, but I would think that Rolex would be interested in TRF members' purchasing habits, preferences, concerns, etc.

For example, I'm a member of other online forums (e.g., hi-fi equipment) and know for a fact that manufacturers do avidly read those other forums.

What do you think?
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 04:24 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Apparantly NOT, since the YM II has not been discontinued yet.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 04:25 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Lover View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you think that Rolex employees (e.g., in sales and marketing, R&D, QC functions, etc.) read this forum and take some of our feedback on board?

I know that TRF is not affiliated with Rolex in any way, but I would think that Rolex would be interested in TRF members' purchasing habits, preferences, concerns, etc.

For example, I'm a member of other online forums (e.g., hi-fi equipment) and know for a fact that manufacturers do avidly read those other forums.

What do you think?
Good point you've raised there, my friend.....something I've often wondered myself.

But if it were true, I should have received a FULL GOLD DAYTONA by now....for all the promotion I do!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good point you've raised there, my friend.....something I've often wondered myself.

But if it were true, I should have received a FULL GOLD DAYTONA by now....for all the promotion I do!!
hehe! Yes, like on your 25,000 post, you should get a solid gold submariner, then the 50,000 post, a solid gold Daytona!
Old 9 July 2007, 04:30 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
hehe! Yes, like on your 25,000 post, you should get a solid gold submariner, then the 50,000 post, a solid gold Daytona!
YES!! I think Rolex should make you their Marketing Manager!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 July 2007, 04:39 AM   #6
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
YES!! I think Rolex should make you their Marketing Manager!!!

I would take that job in a heartbeat! (does it come with "all you can wear Rollies"?)
Old 9 July 2007, 04:40 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I would take that job in a heartbeat! (does it come with "all you can wear Rollies"?)
That's their annual bonus to their Marketing Manager!!

Old 9 July 2007, 04:46 AM   #8
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's their annual bonus to their Marketing Manager!!
I'll take the annual bonus in all SS Daytonas then...
Old 9 July 2007, 05:00 AM   #9
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:

What do you think?
Audio forums ... Audioasylum and Audiogon ??
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:01 AM   #10
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
JJ why didnīt you tell the guy about the shaver Rolex send you when they have seen your wristshot?

Jocke
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:03 AM   #11
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
JJ why didnīt you tell the guy about the shaver Rolex send you when they have seen your wristshot?

Jocke
That anatomy book in the pic,are you in the medical profession ?
Old 9 July 2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Audio forums ... Audioasylum and Audiogon ??
No, not those, but rather the likes of htguide.com and head-fi.org...
Old 9 July 2007, 05:08 AM   #13
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
That anatomy book in the pic,are you in the medical profession ?
Nope Iīm a auto mechanic, I donīt believe that is the same.

Jocke
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:23 AM   #14
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Nope Iīm a auto mechanic, I donīt believe that is the same.

Jocke
In the medical field we are human mechanics,in a way ....
Old 9 July 2007, 05:28 AM   #15
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I think they may have a look now and again. For instance I can remember a few years ago suggesting they reintroduce the Prince range. They did but it was not a patch on the original.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:36 AM   #16
spaulhus

Watch: T/T Sub - Blue
I am convinced, without a doubt, that they monitor this board as well as others - the WWW is (can be) the ultimate in customer feedback and industry "G2'! Given the ubuquity of the WWW, even Rolex could not be that vain or stupid to ignore a the opportunity to learn. The Swiss are just too smart not to adjust...
spaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:41 AM   #17
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulhus View Post
I am convinced, without a doubt, that they monitor this board as well as others - the WWW is (can be) the ultimate in customer feedback and industry "G2'! Given the ubuquity of the WWW, even Rolex could not be that vain or stupid to ignore a the opportunity to learn. The Swiss are just too smart not to adjust...
The Rolex Yachtmaster II SUCKS!

I hope Rolex "monitored" that

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:42 AM   #18
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I'd love to think they do, but I doubt it. I'm confident they have a pretty large budget for market research but at this point in their notariety, I doubt they even use that. They're ROLEX....someone will always buy their product. Maybe not the WIS of this forum, but we've already established that's a SMALL percentage of the Rolex-buying population.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:47 AM   #19
spaulhus

Watch: T/T Sub - Blue
Bo, don't hold back ;)
spaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:51 AM   #20
wandyprawira
"TRF" Member

I guess they might but I doubt it that they will take our words as a basis to change, improve or do anything to their products. Big manufacturer like Rolex can pay a well known third party to do research of market analysis. They need quantitative statistics outcomes to make the judgment should there be any, while what we're doing here is mostly qualitative and of a small percentage of the total Rolex consumer.
Old 9 July 2007, 08:09 AM   #21
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
The only watch company that I know DEFINITELY monitors a forum is Hublot. If you go over to the TimeZone Hublot forum, you will see that the CEO of Hublot, Mr. Biver, actually posts answers to questions on this forum on a daily basis and takes suggestions from people and answers many concerns.

When he sees someone recently purchased a new Hublot, he actually gets on the forum, and tells them to send him a PM and he will PERSONALLY extend the warranty on his/her watch.

Now THAT'S customer service!!!! Could you even imagine Rolex doing a something similar? And remember, although Hublot certainly doesn't move nearly the number of watches Rolex does, many of their Big Bang and Bigger Bang watches are basically sold out and almost impossible to obtain. Therefore, this guy really doesn't need to be reaching out, but has found that it obviously doesn't hurt.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 08:09 AM   #22
AJC

I think that they would check out the forums.I know Omega have been keeping an eye out and have actually invited a member to an Omega function as press.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 08:34 AM   #23
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Didn't they find out about Holbrook and invited him to the office?
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 11:54 AM   #24
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Not sure if they do or not, I would think that they would feel they don't need to. Totally MHO, but they have a machine that works, though they like all others are always trying to improve.

I know for a fact that Mr. Bonati and Mr. Bonay of Panerai read Paneristi on a daily basis and even reply once in awhile. They have given credit to the Paneristi for certain ideas and even created a special edition watch (195) for 200 members of that forum.

In the last watchtime he even mentioned the forum in his interview. Pretty cool that some of the companies do this, Mr. Biver of Hublot is a regular contributor on TZ Hublot board.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:36 PM   #25
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Who knows? I know of one Rolex employee who is on the site on his own time. I think Rolex knows they have us "hooked" as such why would they spend effort, money, and time when their products speak for themselves.

Most people in their occupations don't enjoy outsiders trying to tell them how to do their jobs, I would think that an outsider trying to offer suggestions could be received as annoying. “I don’t tell you how to make the fries at McDonalds don’t tell me how to do my job.” That type of attitude, I do not believe Rolex cares what I feel or demand of their product. That’s just my view.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:38 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Jocke

Old 9 July 2007, 09:43 PM   #27
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I know for a fact that RSC Australia occasionally visits TZ. I was picking up one of my watches, and they were printing something from TZ. (True story)

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 02:32 AM   #28
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Rolex is a very challenging company to "read" it seems to me. Although I can easily imagine they would study the comments on this board, I don't remember ever seeing any evidence that they do. My guess is that their management is tightly focused on things like managing quality and it seems like they don't like to stray from their "basic formula" for doing business, so my guess is that they don't monitor opinions unless they see changes manifested in sales figures. They are one of the more uncommunicative companies I have seen; just their style I guess.

I worked for a large business that wanted to introduce a new product to the market at one time. They did extensive attitudinal surveys and they also worked hard to design a product which was superior to ones already out there. What they especially wanted to know from their customers was whether they would put extra money aside to budget for this new product. Basically, most said they would. In fact, most people highly praised what they were shown. But when it was actually introduced later, for one reason or another, none of the demand materialized and the company took a bath on the product. Management was surprised. The lesson I took away from it is that what matters in the end is what people actually "do", instead of what they say they will do. The two are different, even though the customers surveyed are sincere, etc. Maybe Rolex executives are biased in the same way and focus intensely on purchasing patterns and other things you can measure like defect rates, and that kind of thing. Attitudes can change wildly from one day to the next and it isn't necessarily because of anything Rolex did or didn't do. How many posts do we read here where one day someone complains about the service with their AD and then the next it all gets resolved and now they are back to praising the company again? Did Rolex actually do anything wrong during that time? And yet, the customer was unhappy one day and very happy the next. Customer service is challenging from a number of angles.

haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 02:46 AM   #29
Blue Bull
Banned

Rolex dont monitor any forums ... Why ? They sell everyone they manufacture.
Dealers dont monitor forums ... Their interest in Rolex is profit.Thats their business.No passion,just business.
Most Rolex owners dont monitor forums,simply because they dont share the intense interest on the subject that we do.We are a Rolex wearing minority.
That said,through the combined knowledge,experience ,love and enthusiasm shared on this forum,we can design better looking Rollies than Rolex themselves.I am sure of that ... Here's to the TRF members
Old 10 July 2007, 02:58 AM   #30
OysterDavid
Banned

Just my opinion...I think those of us who participate, chat and lurk on these forums are far more important to ourselves than to Rolex.

I don't think Rolex in Geneva, or any of the other worldwide agencies for that matter, give one quick whiff about our opinions, missives, wants, wishes, desires, complaints, suggestions, forecasts or anything else, EXCEPT if we show up to an AD and plunk down the money to buy a new Rolex.

To Rolex, we are a VERY tiny segment of their buying and servicing universe around the globe. We are nothing more to them than irritating little gnats buzzing around them. And insofar as the raw numbers are concerned, we probably are just a tiny blip on their sales screens. Our own self importance is magnified here because this is basically a one topic web site and we're talking to each other about a mutual passion.

Show up at an AD ready to buy and you have standing with Rolex, SA. Send off a Rolex to an RSC for repair, but without the attitude of 'keep the hands and dial original, but re-lume the dots and don't polish the sides, but refinish the back...etc.', and you have the ear of Rolex. But, seek out the lowest priced Gray Dealer, bypassing the AD network...but from the pre owned sources, engage in wishful thinking about bi colored bezels on the new GMT's, criticize the YMII, bemoan the fact that 50 year old Rolex's can't be accomodated at an RSC or that you can't purchase multiple bracelets or dials from an RSC, and Rolex tunes out.

Just my thoughts.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote