The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
RAS

Watch: Explorer II
Help for friend getting the GMT Master II

Hi everyone

I'm following a friend who is getting the discontinued GMT Master II at an AD today. As both of us are quite the newbies in purchasing a Rolex (my first purchase was the Explorer II a few months ago) and my friend is buying his first, appreciate if you guys could give some pointers/tips as to what we should look for when examining/drooling over the watch

From what I've read in this forum and a few other websites, I should be looking at
a) the letter in front of the 6-digit serial number for production year
b) maybe look at code on the clasp
c) country codes on the guarantee letter

So if there are anything else we should be looking out for, please let me know !

Thanks !

p.s. My friend is more keen on the black/red than the Pepsi.

RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 10:51 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, If you're buying from an AD that's about as safe as it gets. The Z series is the most current. I would look for any flaws on the dial, scratches on the bracelet and clasp.
The bezel lines up with the markers. Date clicks correctly. Bezel is smooth in both directions, etc...

RED/BLACK is good!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'll echo what Mike says; he types faster than I do.

I prefer Red/Black too .
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 11:55 AM   #4
RAS

Mike/Larry,

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree that buying from an AD is as safe as it gets. But seeing I'm kinda the "experienced" guy between the two of us, I just want to be careful.

Great suggestions on checking dial, bezel, clasps etc. Though I remind ourselves to check those things when purchasing my Explorer II recently , it somehow slips my mind when staring at the watch and my wife had to nudge me to do a thorough check. Mesmerising these Rolies.

Old 11 July 2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS View Post
Mike/Larry,

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree that buying from an AD is as safe as it gets. But seeing I'm kinda the "experienced" guy between the two of us, I just want to be careful.

Great suggestions on checking dial, bezel, clasps etc. Though I remind ourselves to check those things when purchasing my Explorer II recently , it somehow slips my mind when staring at the watch and my wife had to nudge me to do a thorough check. Mesmerising these Rolies.

Reza, see if your mate can get the extra bezels at the same time...ie Pepsi and black............the Pepsi is a real grower when you see it !
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 07:12 AM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Yeah, as said:

Look for tiny flaws, especially on the dial. There have been many stories lately of sloppy dial printing.

But I am happy on your behalf on getting that "Pepsi". Since it is discontinued, I gather it just might be a high-collectable watch in future

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 07:56 AM   #7
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
Tonight I've just switched my pepsi bezel back to the all black one (fancied a change) sadly I sold my red/black bezel to a TRF member recently and haven't replaced it yet - must do as I think the red black is the best combo.

It's one of the best features of the old GMT (being able to change the bezels - whilst keeping it looking standard and official)
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
Yeah, as said:

Look for tiny flaws, especially on the dial. There have been many stories lately of sloppy dial printing.

But I am happy on your behalf on getting that "Pepsi". Since it is discontinued, I gather it just might be a high-collectable watch in future
I do not agree with your statement of their being many flaws on the dials, and my two cents: get the all black bezel.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
It's one of the best features of the old GMT (being able to change the bezels - whilst keeping it looking standard and official)
Agreed!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
RAS

I'd like to thank everyone who's replied to this post. My friend and I went to the AD around lunch time yesterday and at the time, only Mike and Larry had replied. So I took note of the things both of them said and made sure the GMT Master was a Z model.

We also checked
a) the dial - no flaws thankfully
b) made sure the bezel clicked smoothly either way - it did (I didn't know the GMT II could turn both ways as I've only owned unidirectional bezel - TAGs and Omega)
c) for scratches - none whatsoever

Basically, the watch was just perfect

As for the suggestions to get both bezels, I'm afraid we didn't think of that before! But as it is, my friend is happy with his purchase. He wore it to the office today!

I'd like to point out however that out of 5 ADs I called, only 1 had the watch in stock. The rest kept insisting that it's impossible to get one as it has been discontinued. In fact, there was somewhat of a premium of about USD300 or so. But seeing the difference between the new GMT (yet to arrive and only had an indicative price) and the discontinued one was about USD2000, he proceeded with the purchase.

Again, thanks to everyone who've provided their inputs on this matter.

Old 11 July 2007, 07:41 PM   #11
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well, If you're buying from an AD that's about as safe as it gets. The Z series is the most current. I would look for any flaws on the dial, scratches on the bracelet and clasp.
The bezel lines up with the markers. Date clicks correctly. Bezel is smooth in both directions, etc...

RED/BLACK is good!

red black is a beauty
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote