The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Wisher
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Storing watch in dehumidifier??

Cameras and lenses are best stored in a dehumidifier to prevent mold and moisture, and keep away dust. I have an electric dehumidifier for camera equipment. It looks like a wine cooler.
I've heard of people storing their watches in one for the same reasons. Does anyone here store (or has anyone heard of storing) watches in a dehumidifier??
Wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:14 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Eh........no

If the watch stored happens to be a Rolex, there is absolutely NO sense of doing it. Your Rolex is waterproof to at least 100 metres, and NO moisture or humidity or condensation whatsoever could penetrate the watch.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Have not heard of it; I would have 'mixed feelings' about it (effect con seals/gaskets, I think they would dry/crack). I understand for a device that is intended to be away from water, but with a 'water proof' Rolex...hmmm...interesting question....
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:40 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Probably wouldn't hurt it...... this is one time I would agree with Spacey.

My floor safe has openings for a dehumidifier but I never installed one....Humidity here in the desert is about 3% on a good day, and gaskets and seals seem to hold up pretty well.

Hey, how about in the humidor with your Cuban stogeys

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 12:47 AM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Probably wouldn't hurt it...... this is one time I would agree with Spacey.

My floor safe has openings for a dehumidifier but I never installed one....Humidity here in the desert is about 3% on a good day, and gaskets and seals seem to hold up pretty well.

Hey, how about in the humidor with your Cuban stogeys

Box would smell SOOOOOOO good!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:38 AM   #6
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
There was an article in a national magazine that said a high dollar watch should be stored in an airtight container (tupperware if nothing else.) I can't fathom (no pun intended) why this would be necessary for any kind of divers watch, for example. I mentioned it on here once before and they tried to send the boys in white coats after me!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Living in the Arizona Sonoran Desert, there's no need for a dehumidifier. It's as dry as it gets. If anything, my baby needs a little moisture every now and again.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Bama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenonfire View Post
Living in the Arizona Sonoran Desert, there's no need for a dehumidifier. It's as dry as it gets. If anything, my baby needs a little moisture every now and again.
It's summertime in Alabama. Send your watch to me. I could hold your watch out the window for a couple of minutes and it would be dripping with sweat.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
It's summertime in Alabama. Send your watch to me. I could hold your watch out the window for a couple of minutes and it would be dripping with sweat.
Don't I know it. My brother and his family live in a suburb of Mobile and I remember the last time I was there (years ago) I stepped outside and felt like I was walking in a hot fog. I'll take the dry heat any day of the week...there's something kinda gross about stepping out of the shower and immediately feel like you're sweating again.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Bama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenonfire View Post
Don't I know it. My brother and his family live in a suburb of Mobile and I remember the last time I was there (years ago) I stepped outside and felt like I was walking in a hot fog. I'll take the dry heat any day of the week...there's something kinda gross about stepping out of the shower and immediately feel like you're sweating again.
Story of my life. Even though I've lived in the Deep South for most of my life I still find myself in a foul mood from about May through September. That's why I went with the Sub with a great ability to withstand water If you ever find yourself in this part of the country again don't hesitate to contact me if you should need anything.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote