The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2014, 02:51 AM   #1
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Dark Side of the Moon too big?

I'm very interested in this watch. 40mm seams to be the best size for my 6.5" wrist, but I do have a 42mm Pelagos and Speedy Pro. Anyone able to comment on size? Thanks...
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 03:02 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

it's big (44.25mm) and thick (16mm) and stands tall on the wrist due to the crystals (especially the one underneath), but the black color and strap help to tone it down. the ceramic treatment is pretty amazing....besides AP's ceramic Diver, it's the nicest ceramic out there, IMHO.

check out hodinkee's "week on the wrist" review: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-...de-of-the-moon

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Rpcody
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3573/BB
It will wear much bigger than your Speedy Pro, but only slightly bigger than your Pelagos.
Old 18 November 2014, 09:50 AM   #4
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Also having a 6.5" wrist, the size would keep me from wearing it (sadly as many other attractive models do with their diameter and lug to lug measurements).
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 10:40 AM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I'll chime in and say that I owned a Speedy 9300 and have a 6.5" wrist and found the 44.25mm case totally acceptable. The lugs are a little more curved and the thickness didn't bother me. I originally thought that their Speedster 57 would be best for me at 41mm, but the lugs were longer and the proportions weren't right. Although I sold my Speedy (bought a ROC), I am tempted by a DOSM or a LD when it becomes available. As someone who also has a smaller wrist, don't rule anything out until you actually get to try it on.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 10:44 AM   #6
lindstd
"TRF" Member

srvrf-I am curious what an LD watch is? Thanks for chiming back in. I am asking because I am too interested in the DSOTM however I was intrigued on what you meant by the LD comment. Thanks in advance.
lindstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 10:45 AM   #7
lindstd
"TRF" Member

Lunar Dust perhaps?
lindstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 01:09 PM   #8
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
6.3" wrist. Bought DSOTM on the spot and never looked back. Extremely comfortable and perfectly unpretentious:

LD is indeed the 'Lunar Dust' platinum version of the DSOTM but the official moniker is now 'Grey Side of the Moon'

Regarding wrist/watch case ratio, I'm more of the argument that contemporary/sportier Omegas are more forgiving being larger and thicker. To me they're simply watches that are 'fun' to wear. When I eventually jump into high-end for a 'classier' watch I'll go <40mm and thin.
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 10:52 PM   #9
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Yes sorry it was the upcoming Lunar Dust. I didn't know the official omega name. Here's a great post about it.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=5175642

Either way, I've found case height (lug to lug) to be more important to me than the actual case diameter when trying to figure out if s watch will fit.
Old 19 November 2014, 10:51 AM   #10
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

My DSOM on 6.5" wrist..wears a bit smaller than 44mm Panerai..very comfortable..

for comparison..my Speedie Pro
Old 19 November 2014, 11:03 AM   #11
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
DSOTM on my 6.75" wrist. Looks OK to me as long as the lugs are not hanging outside the wrist. In the end, it depends on your comfort level on what you perceived as "too big".

benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The Speedy 9300 series wears smaller than the size suggests. The DSOM wears even smaller than the SS/Ti version due to the black strap and black case. Try it on... you will be surprised how well it wears.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 03:16 PM   #13
exxondus
"TRF" Member

I have a 6 inch wrist and can pull it off. Abeit pushing my limits.

If you have 6.5, it shouldnt be an issue. Onega is finally meeting demand for this modell used to be v hard to get
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 04:09 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Wears much smaller thankfully! Try it on! I'm waiting to see the grey side.
Old 22 November 2014, 03:48 PM   #15
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Tried it on today and I have a very small wrist. Don't know what size my wrist is but it's small. I thought it looked amazing! Not too big at all! Not I have to decide.........SS Daytona or this bad boy.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2014, 10:45 PM   #16
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Tried one the other day, didn't find it too large; just too light.
melons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 02:16 AM   #17
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Good luck with that decision. I have both and if I had to part with one it would be extremey difficult. The dsotm is more interesting and unique but the daytona well it's a daytona and just looks classy. The lunar dust would be these 2 combined in my opinion. It will look classier then the DSOTM but not as unique (being all black).

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Tried it on today and I have a very small wrist. Don't know what size my wrist is but it's small. I thought it looked amazing! Not too big at all! Not I have to decide.........SS Daytona or this bad boy.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 08:21 PM   #18
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Dark Side of the Moon too big?

DSOTM wears a lot smaller than the measurements say. Mine has not left my wrist since the purchase. Extremely comfortable. That said I went from a massive hublot ice bang. I also have a gmtiic and I think the DSOTM is comparable interms of how it wears even though it's bigger. As others said, try it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 08:34 PM   #19
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
they are big ,,,, but boys they do look sweet.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 08:35 AM   #20
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I stopped by Hyde Park Jewelers in Cherry Creek today to check out the GMT Master IIc and BLNR, but they didn't have either in stock. They also own the Omega Boutique next door and just 3 weeks ago opened a Breitling Boutique two doors down.

I tried on the steel and Ti PO GMT watches but didn't care for either. They are 42mm I believe but seemed small and way too thick.

Then I tried on the DSOM and liked it except the silver Chrono hands on the subdials are hard to see and it seems thick too at 16.1mm.

The contrast on the subdials will be better on the Grey Side of the Moon coming out in early 2015 since it will have black hands on a grey dial. MSRP is supposed to be the same as the DSOM.

The Grey Side of the Moon will also come on a gator strap and I imagine that the lighter color case will show less finger prints.

All of these (Moon and POs) have sapphire casebacks which while nice add too much to the thickness.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2015, 11:36 AM   #21
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Hate to bring this thread back to life, but I'm wondering if anyone here has both the DSOTM watch as well as a SubC or SD4000. I would love to see some side by side comparison pictures.

I have small wrists but feel like I can comfortably wear my SubC or PAM337. I'm thinking of adding a DSOTM to the collection. Thank you.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 03:53 AM   #22
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
Hate to bring this thread back to life, but I'm wondering if anyone here has both the DSOTM watch as well as a SubC or SD4000. I would love to see some side by side comparison pictures.

I have small wrists but feel like I can comfortably wear my SubC or PAM337. I'm thinking of adding a DSOTM to the collection. Thank you.
A huge different between size and thickness. 40mm vs 44.25mm and 16mm thickness. You should try it on before make your final decision. Why not wait a little longer until 5 new collections coming out. Love the vintage speedmaster.
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 04:54 AM   #23
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange1 View Post
A huge different between size and thickness. 40mm vs 44.25mm and 16mm thickness. You should try it on before make your final decision. Why not wait a little longer until 5 new collections coming out. Love the vintage speedmaster.
I know I need to try the bad boy on before making a decision, just wondering if anyone here owned one along with a SubC.

5 new collections?! Any more info on this? Would be great if they had a black ceramic version of the traditional SMP.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 05:16 AM   #24
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Sry I don't have Sub to compare with. Same as dark side and grey side with 5 new colors and dials different.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 07:07 AM   #25
bzabodyn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
I actually cross shopped the DSOTM and the Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chrono in ceramic - the Speedy wore slightly larger due to the height and the 2mm narrower strap. The watch is gorgeous and at where secondary prices are now though, it's a lot of watch tech for the money. As mentioned above - other than AP's ceramic pieces and my BP, the finishing is top notch albeit the watch overall was a little too shiny for me.

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 12:59 PM   #26
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post

I've owned both the SubC and Speedy 9300 but neither now. I was satisfied with the fit of both on my 6.5" wrist. For comparison, I feel I can wear a 44mm PAM (I've tried the 524) but prefer the size of my 40mm PAM 121. You'll just have to try them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2015, 01:15 AM   #27
Fearesq
"TRF" Member

Wears smaller than my 42mm IWC 7-day, and about the same as the Pelagos.

Feels relatively small after wearing my 45.5 planet ocean
Fearesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 01:55 AM   #28
mfer
"TRF" Member

doesn't work on my 6.5" wrist and the subdials are small. They have more real estate on that dial, they should have made them larger like the 1957 model. Or they could make a black bezel for the '57!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 02:25 AM   #29
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I have a 6.5 wrist and wear it and the sub c and have no issues with the size. The black really helps time it down.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 03:00 AM   #30
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Tried one before they became generally available and like you I have a 6.5 inch wrist. I thought it wore a bit smaller than it's actual size but it is a bit of a thickie

witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote