The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 February 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
jenko
"TRF" Member

Icon7 1680/0 - Black with Red Writing

Rolex Oyster 1680/0 - Dial colour: black with red writing - Calibre: 1575.
Purchased in 1974 from Rolex dealer - WJ Baughan in Nowra, NSW. Original paperwork but no box. Last service at Rolex Melbourne in September 2005.

Would love to get an idea of what it may be worth. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1680.jpg (240.6 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by jenko; 12 February 2010 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: add picture
jenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 01:53 PM   #2
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenko View Post
Purchased in 1974 from Rolex dealer - WJ Baughan in Nowra, NSW. Original paperwork but no box. Last service at Rolex Melbourne in September 2005.

More scans would be better !
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Jenko, Have you owned this from new? Have you replaced any parts since it was yours? Just interested in it's history. Welcome to TRF!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
bb3188
"TRF" Member

I cant believe that there use to be a Rolex AD in Nowra (country NSW) !

Thats awesome !
Old 12 February 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:

Welcome to TRF.....

Rough guess and depending on papers and condition (bezel looks like a replacement) could go to A$9k-A$14k.

Have you all the service papers?
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 05:15 PM   #6
jenko
"TRF" Member

Hi and thanks for the welcome and the feedback -

It's my hubby's watch and yes he bought it new in Nowra New South Wales on the 1st of October 1974. This was his second Rolex - his first he purchased in Singapore in the 60's but it was stolen and this one he bought in 1974 was to replace the first one.

I have the original Rolex Gtee which names hubby as the purchaser and WH Baughan Jeweller/Watchmaker - 36 Berry Street Nowra as the seller. The only other paperwork I have is the receipt for service in 2005 and the International Service Guarantee. The receipt says:
Bezel Insert (so I guess that means it was replaced???)
Complete Service
Fliplock Clasp
Hands

The serial number on the receipt and the guarantee from the Watchmaker is 3324250.

If any of this makes any sense to you guys - I'd be delighted to get your opinion on what it might be worth and/or how on earth do I go about selling it? With so many scammers out there these days one can't be too careful.

regards, and thanks again so much for your responses.

deb
oh - I should mention - I haven't lifted it off hubby - he's not "ready" for the internet yet and asked me to see what it's worth LOL
Old 12 February 2010, 06:20 PM   #7
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's my hubby's watch and yes he bought it new in Nowra New South Wales on the 1st of October 1974. This was his second Rolex - his first he purchased in Singapore in the 60's but it was stolen and this one he bought in 1974 was to replace the first one.

I have the original Rolex Gtee which names hubby as the purchaser and WH Baughan Jeweller/Watchmaker - 36 Berry Street Nowra as the seller. The only other paperwork I have is the receipt for service in 2005 and the International Service Guarantee. The receipt says:
Complete Service
Fliplock Clasp
Hands

The serial number on the receipt and the guarantee from the Watchmaker is 3324250.

If any of this makes any sense to you guys - I'd be delighted to get your opinion on what it might be worth and/or how on earth do I go about selling it? With so many scammers out there these days one can't be too careful.

deb
oh - I should mention - I haven't lifted it off hubby - he's not "ready" for the internet yet and asked me to see what it's worth LOL
Deb,
the dial looks orginal- IF RSC melbourne changed the dial, this would be an additional charge which will be specificially noted on the service.

I cant get over the fact there was an AD in Nowra !

Must be a booming town at some point !!!
Old 12 February 2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Good estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
Welcome to TRF.....

Rough guess and depending on papers and condition (bezel looks like a replacement) could go to A$9k-A$14k.

Have you all the service papers?
It think that's a fair estimate, I think it would end up around 12000A$

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 08:23 PM   #9
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Complete Service
Fliplock Clasp
Hands

deb
Hi Deb, IMO, collectors tend to like things original, but a new bezel and new (luminova) hands wouldn't be too much of a problem as correct period ones can be purchased. The provenance that you have whilst maybe not increasing the actual value too much would certainly increase the watches saleability.

If you are looking to sell I would either polish or replace the crystal, this will give your watch a whole new look at little cost. Don't sell to a dealer as you will only receive wholesale, sell privately to get full retail and declare all that you know about the watch, as you have done here....

PS your watch is a Rolex ref. 1680 or known as a red sub and is very collectible.
Old 13 February 2010, 07:40 AM   #10
jenko
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Thanks so much for the sound advice.

If I may prevail upon you once more - can anyone recommend exactly HOW I go about selling such an item?

I shudder at the thought of putting it on eBay.................

jenko
Old 13 February 2010, 08:09 AM   #11
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
can anyone recommend exactly HOW I go about selling such an item?
Well you can list it here on TRF for sale http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 I think you have to be a member for 15 days and have 15 posts or something like that to be able to list.

Using ebay can be OK to risky but you have a much wider audience, if being paid by paypal just make sure that the money is in your bank before shipping the watch, direct deposit much the better way to go.
let us know how you go.
Old 13 February 2010, 09:52 AM   #12
bb3188
"TRF" Member

even with paypal, its quite unsafe for the seller. I have heard of sellers being scammed after they sent the item.

There are way too many scammers out there and unfortunately they prey on the good people on this forum as well!

IMHO, give the value of this iterm, face to face.transaction would be best.
Old 13 February 2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Barracuda
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD MKll
First of all, awesome watch as others have said. It's certainly one of my favorites after being introduced to the world of Rolex.

If I were you, I'd stick around for a little while, build up your post count, maybe post a few more pics of this watch and then post the watch for sale in TRF's for sale forum once you've satisfied the prerequisites required by TRF. I'm sure there are a lot of folks in AU who would love to own a watch like this.

Here are some links that will prove useful:

http://rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (For Sale Forum)

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=9423 (Posting Rules)
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote