The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 October 2022, 03:30 PM   #1
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Vintage Root Beer help

Hello Folks
I am new around here and know very little about whatches and rolexes. The father of a good friend passed a couple of years ago and left him a 70´s Root Beer GMT and now he wants to sell it. He offered me this watch and, since both of us know very little about Watches, I am seeking for some help to appraise it so both of us can make a fair deal. Also, we want to make sure it is an original piece. We deeply believe it is. Is there a way to be sure?
His father bought from a friend that bought it in the USA in the 70´s.
I really appreciate any input from you guys.
I believe I atteched some pics 9not sure since it is my 1st post here).
Thank you.
Smouraneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 01:43 AM   #2
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
It definitely looks authentic for an early 70's GMT Master 1675/3. You can remove the bracelet and look at the model number at 12:00 and the serial number at 6:00 for more information regarding dating the watch. BTW, it should say 1675 (at 6:00) without the "3" I added earlier as the 3 just indicates gold and stainless version. The hand stack also indicates this is indeed a 1675. Insert looks very nice and is correct for this model IMHO but the case has been polished, which is not necessarily a huge thing but better pics are needed. I can see a spring bar protruding at 1:00 but that could just be the wrong spring bar and not a deal killer if you like the watch. The bracelet looks to be an Oyster 7836 folded link bracelet, which you should be able to confirm on the inside of the clasp. I think it should be a two-tone version with gold center links 7836/3 but the bracelet does appear to be period correct at least. The dial and hands appear to be original as well and in very good condition, they should not glow at all at this point. Check out www.gmtmaster1675.com for more information. Post pics of the first few digits of the serial number. the clasp of the watch and the end links at the head of the watch where the bracelet attaches. Might be a C & I version.

That's all I got. Wait for experts of which I am not one. BTW, for valuation look to EBAY or something (TRF does not do valuations—against the rules) but keep in mind prices you will see are a little higher than you should pay as many of those posted have been up for a loooong time. Also depends on if you have the paper work and box associated with the original purchase. I look forward to seeing more pics. It does look very original and quite honest.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 02:22 AM   #3
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

pics

Hello TimeLord2. Thank you very much for your very detailed input. My friend lives 4 hours from where I live so I asked him for some additional pictures as you described and here they are. Pricewise, both of us are lost. I will serch online.
Thank you so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1.jpeg (145.0 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpeg 2.jpeg (229.9 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpeg 3.jpeg (107.6 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpeg 4.jpeg (97.0 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpeg 5.jpeg (68.5 KB, 466 views)
Old 27 October 2022, 08:22 AM   #4
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much time lord. I tried posting some new pictures but am having a hard time. Sorry for the delay.
Old 27 October 2022, 08:25 AM   #5
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

The first numbers of the serial are 3184
Old 27 October 2022, 09:24 AM   #6
TimeLord2

Your watch is about the same age as mine, serial number 3,24x,xxx. Certainly looks about the same as mine. Based on teh serial number charts I think your is around 1973-1974 as I think mine is a 1974 or so. I do like that insert, and as I said it does look to be in pretty good shape for a 50 year old watch! I think this might be the first image I posted of my watch to this forum. I have since had the bracelet refurbished and the movement serviced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_1s.jpg (194.9 KB, 477 views)
Old 27 October 2022, 12:21 PM   #7
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

The thing is that I looked all over the internet and never found even a picture of one of these on steel only bracelet. Would that depreciate the piece in any matter?
Old 27 October 2022, 12:50 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting question about the bracelet. Normally the watch would have a two-tone bracelet, and this one has a folded-link 7836, which is from the right general era. I suppose it's possible that the original owner preferred that bracelet, or maybe it got swapped out over the years. I'd say that it does hurt the value slightly, but you can always sell that bracelet and buy a correct one. There will be a net cost to you, the amount would depend on condition, and whether you want a jubilee or oyster TT bracelet.
Old 27 October 2022, 10:44 PM   #9
dannyp
Banned

This probably helps very little, but...

While I've never seen a TT GMT with an all-stainless bracelet, Rolex did make some OP/DJ watches decades ago with YG bezel/crown and all-stainless bracelets, so there's some "precedent" if you will.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 12:43 AM   #10
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

You guys are great!!! Thank you very much. I will try to make a deal with him. If ig goes through, any ideas where I could get a nice leather bracelet. I believe I would look nice on this watch.
Old 28 October 2022, 12:59 AM   #11
springer

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouraneto View Post
The thing is that I looked all over the internet and never found even a picture of one of these on steel only bracelet. Would that depreciate the piece in any matter?
Factory bracelets were two-tone of they came on a leather strap. The stainless steel bracelet that is on the watch now was added by a dealer or previous owner.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 02:28 AM   #12
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
This probably helps very little, but...

While I've never seen a TT GMT with an all-stainless bracelet, Rolex did make some OP/DJ watches decades ago with YG bezel/crown and all-stainless bracelets, so there's some "precedent" if you will.
This most likelly is a stupid questyon, but, what is OP/DJ? YG is yellow gold, correct? Thank you
Sorry for the question.
Old 28 October 2022, 02:53 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Factory bracelets were two-tone of they came on a leather strap. The stainless steel bracelet that is on the watch now was added by a dealer or previous owner.
Definitely learning some interesting things in the course of this thread. Never realized that anything but the all-gold version was available with a leather strap. Looking at some images online of vintage 70s price lists, not only do I see I was wrong but have also learned...

TT GMT was originally steel/14kt gold
All-gold version on leather was supplied with two straps
Briefly offered w/President bracelet, but not referred to as such (rather 18k "hidden clasp" bracelet)
Old 28 October 2022, 03:50 AM   #14
TimeLord2

Quote:
This most likelly is a stupid questyon, but, what is OP/DJ? YG is yellow gold, correct? Thank you
Sorry for the question.
OP/DJ =Oyster Perpetual & DataJust
Old 28 October 2022, 04:09 AM   #15
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
OP/DJ =Oyster Perpetual & DataJust
Thank you very much Time Lord. I ended up buying the watch from my friend. Just sent him the funds and will pick it up second week of november. You guys helped me a lot to come to this decision. This is my 1st Rolex. Thank you so much.

I was thinking of buying a Jelsdal – Brown Vintage Leather Watch Strap from watchbandit. Cool or not cool for this watch?
Old 28 October 2022, 04:29 AM   #16
granttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you very much Time Lord. I ended up buying the watch from my friend. Just sent him the funds and will pick it up second week of november. You guys helped me a lot to come to this decision. This is my 1st Rolex. Thank you so much.

I was thinking of buying a Jelsdal – Brown Vintage Leather Watch Strap from watchbandit. Cool or not cool for this watch?
Its cool if you think its cool! If it were my watch, I would want a TT jubilee bracelet and I would start the hunt for one now, but its just my own personal preference.
granttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 07:03 AM   #17
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granttime View Post
Its cool if you think its cool! If it were my watch, I would want a TT jubilee bracelet and I would start the hunt for one now, but its just my own personal preference.
Fair enough granttime. Appreciate your input. I will go ahead an try
to hunt for an original one. Thanks.
Old 28 October 2022, 07:28 AM   #18
dannyp
Banned

Fwiw, I actually like the bracelet, and it appears that the two spent most of their lives together, based on apparent wear patterns. If I had to guess, I’d guess the watch started out on a strap and either at time of original purchase, or sale to your friend’s father, a bracelet was desired. Either this was the bracelet the dealer had in stock, or the dealer gave quotes on steel or TT options and steel was way less.
Old 28 October 2022, 09:56 AM   #19
77T

The fairest method I know is to list the Watch on eBay for a 7-day auction with a 250,000 reserve.

When the auction expires you should have a fair figure to set the deal price. Be sure to cancel/disregard any stupid bids by low feedback newish members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 10:20 AM   #20
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Looks great on the stainless steel strap.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 02:49 AM   #21
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
That is an absolutely beautiful watch.
Fuselierpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 05:54 AM   #22
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I am going to put my hands on it tomorrow..... Looking forward.... Will post more pics afterwards.
Old 9 November 2022, 01:15 PM   #23
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

My only comment is on the bracelet -- the ends of the interior folds of the center links look a little off to me. Can you take a picture of the sides of the links?

Beautiful watch
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 01:48 PM   #24
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The fairest method I know is to list the Watch on eBay for a 7-day auction with a 250,000 reserve.

When the auction expires you should have a fair figure to set the deal price. Be sure to cancel/disregard any stupid bids by low feedback newish members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That method would cost him $250 bucks though.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 02:58 AM   #25
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Bracelet should be (if Oyster not Jubillee) two-tone folded link with ALL SILVER end links btw.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 03:26 AM   #26
mideastwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Very interesting on a stainless blt
mideastwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 02:52 PM   #27
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
My only comment is on the bracelet -- the ends of the interior folds of the center links look a little off to me. Can you take a picture of the sides of the links?

Beautiful watch
Thanks. I am having a hard time to attach pics straight from iPhone. Files are too large. Once I get back home, a couple of days ahead, I’ll do from my pc.
Old 11 November 2022, 02:55 PM   #28
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

BTW, there seems to be some sort of dirt, or gunk in the beazel. What should I use to remove it without damaging the beazel in any way?
Old 14 November 2022, 12:07 AM   #29
Smouraneto
"TRF" Member

Finally managed to attach some further pics. It looks amazing close by.
Old 14 November 2022, 03:03 AM   #30
TimeLord2

Very nice indeed!