The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 4 June 2024, 12:03 AM   #1
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Breitling by Rolex fans

So i received a Sub No Date from my AD in April. Thought i would be satisified for a while but i'm now hankering for something else preferably with a blue dial. Really interested in Breitling since it fits the 4-6k range i'm looking for. What are your thoughts on Breitling? I know the usual suspects are Tudor and Omega in that range.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:04 AM   #2
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I think Breitling can be good value depending on the model. I was really intrigued by the previous Super Ocean on rubber. At this point, I feel they are struggling with their brand identity.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:10 AM   #3
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Some decent designs. Also some tacky legacy pieces and a fair share of quartz. I often find them oversized and too thick.

They were perhaps decent value for money a few years ago, but retail prices have crept up to a point beyond where I'm comfortable for a Breitling. You have to really want one, you know?
Old 4 June 2024, 12:10 AM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Love Breitling. My three favorite brands are Rolex, Omega and Breitling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:17 AM   #5
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I don’t own a Breitling but just did a complete re-do of a Breitling AD. That being said, I was there just last week with the owner and was checking out some of the watches. The superocean is in your price range but, in my opinion, the Navitimer chronos are nicer. They’re more around the 9k range.

I still can’t “get down” with a chrono without screw-down pushers but that’s just me. Though, I was tempted by the black dial with white subdials.

Chaucer1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:26 AM   #6
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

20 to 35 years ago Breitling was almost on par with Rolex -
NOT ANYMORE!
Some Private Equity firm bought it and they have no clue on how to run this business.Their watches have no pricing power and their sales are down. Way down.
I would only buy a pre-owned piece and you should too!
And You would be well advised to do your homework and come to the obvious conclusion that you can buy pretty much any used Breitling for 40-80% off of MSRP (previous and current MSRP)……
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:36 AM   #7
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Some Private Equity firm bought it and they have no clue on how to run this business.Their watches have no pricing power and their sales are down. Way down.
Good point — as someone who works in finance, I can tell you I have never heard of private equity backed company improving quality…. Streamlining operations and making it more profitable, sure, but making it a higher quality product via higher standard of care, etc — highly, highly doubtful.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:58 AM   #8
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Chronomats have grown on me. Not a fan of their angled-design bracelet links, so that's a plus...and just every time I see a Chronomat, something else catches my eye in pleasing way.

Wouldn't even consider new, though.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:01 AM   #9
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have owned three. Love them.
Navitimer is a classic.
Breitling now come in all sizes. Days of just large bricks are long gone.
Old 4 June 2024, 01:05 AM   #10
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
There is a Breitling shop near me, always empty, and nothing really in there that appeals .. I’m not dissing the brand in anyway, some watches I’ve seen online look great, but so do IWC, and Omega ..
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and not what someone else may think ..
navitimer - busy looking watch ..
Tourbillon at the 12 o’clock looks odd to me, like a cyclops ..
Top time triumph looks their best piece to me ..
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:21 AM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Always buy Breitling preowned. Great value for watch after they take a huge hit in depreciation. I had one (Blackbird Chronomat) and it was very nice as it looked good on its oem rubber strap and bracelet. Probably should have kept it as a beater in the mix but I find Omega significantly better in every way and you don’t pay much more to get into an Omega in the pre owned market. Plus Omega’s movements are next level and one of the best out there and reason alone to buy a Omega.

Bottom line:
You can make a very compelling argument, choosing Omega over Rolex or Rolex over Omega, but that can’t be said for Breitling.

Old 4 June 2024, 01:24 AM   #12
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I find the current Superocean line to be quite attractive until I go online and see how much they go for in the used market. I don't buy watches as an investment but man do they depreciate! I much prefer Omega for this price range.
Old 4 June 2024, 01:41 AM   #13
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer their older models, which seem to have a more ‘tool-ish’ or utilitarian design. I’m not overly keen on the newer models which lose some of this design identity in place of a more modern and luxurious feel. Not a fan ‘B’ logo which seems to be on all new models, and wished they’d have kept the wings.

I tried on one of their Avengers (previous generation) a few months back. A nice enough watch, but the AD didn’t have the version I wanted in stock so I held off, and wasn’t interested enough to pursue it any further - make of that what you will...

I’d be more inclined to look at Tudor or Omega in this price bracket - IWC and Grand Seiko also on my shortlist in this region too.

nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:50 AM   #14
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Im not impressed with modern Breitling myself.
I have a couple vintage Navitimers from the 60s which I love.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:53 AM   #15
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I love Breitling and have owned several. Now I have a RG chrono from the 40’s. Beautiful watch. My husband has a black bird from 2000 when they first went COSC and bought his son a dive watch for HS graduation. He recently sold his 43mm Navitimer and regrets it. Both the croc strap and bracelet for that model are wonderful. He actually prefers it over Rolex. Breitling makes some nice watches.

We were in the Breitling dealer at Disney this past Saturday. A man was purchasing an all gold navitimer. $39500, no discount.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:53 AM   #16
train-time
2024 Pledge Member

I was a big fan of Breitling back when the brand was the old Breitling. I owned many variations over the years. As others have said, buy pre-owned or be prepared to loose a major chunk of change walking out the door.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:56 AM   #17
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Super Oceans from the early 2000’s and late 1990’s were wonderful watches and bargain, it’s too bad what they have done to that model. IMO
Old 4 June 2024, 01:59 AM   #18
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I think they've been trying really hard to reinvent themselves. Regardless of what they do, it comes down to whether or not you like the watch. They're built well and look nice. Buy what you like and sings to you.
Old 4 June 2024, 02:15 AM   #19
Cassian739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
Good point — as someone who works in finance, I can tell you I have never heard of private equity backed company improving quality…. Streamlining operations and making it more profitable, sure, but making it a higher quality product via higher standard of care, etc — highly, highly doubtful.
Same and Agreed… CVC had already owned Brietling since 2017, and we have all seen the continued decline over the past 7+ year. By the time the MBAs are done “optimizing” Breitling it will be a shell of its former self and glory. Only good thing CVC did was get rid of Breitling for Bentley.
Cassian739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:20 AM   #20
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I have been struggling with whether to add a Breitling to my collection.

The Navitimer is a classic, but always a little too big (43-46mm) This year they reintroduced it in a smaller 41mm with some cool new colors...

The Premier 40 looks like a classic two subdial chrono from the 40-50s in some modern colors.

I was trying to pick between these two, however Breitling's e recent acquisition of Universal Geneve could be promising. Not sure if it will be a separate brand, or if we may soon see UG inspired movements in Breitling watches. THAT would be interesting!
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:20 AM   #21
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

I love breitling. I would choose it over Omega. I love the quality and options. I usually buy from watchmaxx if it’s a breitling.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:27 AM   #22
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I would have no hesitation wearing a Breitling. Never owned one but am certainly open to the idea if the right design peeks my interest. They tend to be a tad too busy for my eye.
Old 4 June 2024, 02:43 AM   #23
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

I’m just not a fan of the designs. Like others if I want a Rolex alternative I would look at Omega personall.
Gunnersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:44 AM   #24
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

I’m just not a fan of the designs. Like others if I want a Rolex alternative I would look at Omega personall.
Gunnersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:50 AM   #25
Dave O
"TRF" Member

My mint green 41mm Navitimer is one of my favorites in my collection. I also own Omega, Tudor and of course Rolex. But this mint green dial with the white sub dials just pops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5041.1.jpg (284.0 KB, 315 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 03:05 AM   #26
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Surprisingly I've never been much of a Navitimer fan even though it's one of their signature models. Too busy looking for me. But I tried on a Superocean 42 on a cruise ship AD not too long ago and totally loved it. If I didn't already have multiple divers I may have gotten it right there. Cool design, very legible, and comfortable to wear too. Striking looking watch.

In fact here is a picture of it on my wrist. Found my old thread about it.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 03:11 AM   #27
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I like breitling. Am a fan of the older superoceans
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 04:56 AM   #28
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
My mint green 41mm Navitimer is one of my favorites in my collection. I also own Omega, Tudor and of course Rolex. But this mint green dial with the white sub dials just pops.
Such an iconic watch. Has nice wrist presence.
Old 4 June 2024, 06:40 AM   #29
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post

Gorgeous. I love that watch. That could be one of my next watches.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 06:59 AM   #30
Easy E

I like Breitling. The B01 is a solid chrono. FWIW, swisswatchexpo.com has a pile of blue Breitlings to choose from, give them a look.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote