The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #1
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1a
YM42 for travel abroad?

Hi All, does anyone have experience traveling abroad with a >$20k watch. Was thinking about bringing my (insured) YM42 226659 on a trip with my wife to the South of France this fall. Primary question is with regards to customs. Does one have to declare the watch and are there any scenarios to think through with that process?

Debating between this or my Overseas, but I’d like to take one with me. Any strong suggestions against one or both of these watches for travel in that region due to safety?
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex Yachtmaster 42 (226659), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Patek Philippe Nautilus Annual Calendar (5726/1a), Patek Philippe Aquanaut chronograph (5968a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Take the explorer or seamaster.
S’portEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #3
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I travel everywhere with my WG YM 42 and routinely both of my Day Dates and have had zero issues. Use common sense and you will be fine.
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #4
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Have receipt in documents on your phone in case of a picky customs agent on arrival back to USA to prove tax has already been paid. Although uncommon they COULD try to charge you to import it otherwise
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #5
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Take it and enjoy your watch and your vacation. The south of France you should be fine, Nice , St.Tropez and Cannes.. there are plenty of Rolexes around and some great watch stores. Use common sense if you go to Paris be aware of your surroundings as others have mentioned.

Also the US customs proof is not a bad idea, never had an issue but anything can happen people are jealous and some want to move up? Best to avoid a problem if possible.

Great idea for my next trip.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #6
JSol1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

We travel a lot and always bring 2-3 watches each. My RG YM40 is always one of them. Love it for its versatility!
I’m one of those who wants to enjoy my watches so they’re insured and I’m very conscious of my surroundings (I also bring a Casio for those times where it may make sense)…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like to travel with a nice watch. I always have digital copies with my original receipt, warranty card (and many many pictures of the watch)

I’ve worn my BLRO throughout Italy, Switzerland and France (Chamonix), without issue. I understand why others don’t feel comfortable wearing a good watch when they travel.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #8
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1a
Both of these watches were obtained through trades - while I have warranty papers/cards with dates, any issue with not having a receipt?
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex Yachtmaster 42 (226659), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Patek Philippe Nautilus Annual Calendar (5726/1a), Patek Philippe Aquanaut chronograph (5968a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 AM   #9
ryanbush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Both of these watches were obtained through trades - while I have warranty papers/cards with dates, any issue with not having a receipt?
Wait, what? Do you carry receipts for other items you take overseas?
ryanbush is offline   Reply With Quote