The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Kemal
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Discount?

Hi again guys.
So i went to the AD here in Sweden and decided to get the Submariner C.
The thing is that I will buy this watch with a good friend who also is going to buy the daytona rose gold.

As you understand we will spend a lot of money at this AD.

How much discount should we get???

//Kemal
Kemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 06:56 AM   #2
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Hard to say. Not to sound overly sarcastic, but you should expect exactly whatever discount the AD is offering. That will be a negotiation between you and them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 07:17 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcandle View Post
Hard to say. Not to sound overly sarcastic, but you should expect exactly whatever discount the AD is offering. That will be a negotiation between you and them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
This kind of answers it in a nut shell.

There really are a lot of things that go into determining what kind of a discount you are able to get.

Do your best and see what you can get.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 07:19 AM   #4
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
daytona=20%
sub-c =15%
Old 29 July 2011, 08:02 AM   #5
dhh
"TRF" Member

I have seen 30% on Gold Daytonas and 10-15% on stainless sport models
Old 29 July 2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I've seen ZERO discounts here in FL on Sub C's, the AD's here might have one in stock, if any, and they know it'll sell full price. If 15% discounts were common from AD's, why would people be flocking to trusted sellers here who are only doing 8-10% on Sub C's?
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Speed
"TRF" Member

Discount depends on many, many factors.

Hard to say without knowing your Ads business situation.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Hope you'll get a good discount.

The best thing my AD can do for me is a free cup of instant coffee & a Kirkland bottle water.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 08:56 AM   #9
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
I recommend you call around or visit other AD's and dealers and see what discount, if any, you can secure so you know what you should pay. If this AD is who you want to ultimately do business with and they can not match the best price you have found elsewhere from a reliable source, then you have a decision to make.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemal View Post
Hi again guys.
So i went to the AD here in Sweden and decided to get the Submariner C.
The thing is that I will buy this watch with a good friend who also is going to buy the daytona rose gold.

As you understand we will spend a lot of money at this AD.

How much discount should we get???

//Kemal
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

The country makes a big difference too. US appears to be more liberal with discounts.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 09:02 AM   #11
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
I've seen ZERO discounts here in FL on Sub C's, the AD's here might have one in stock, if any, and they know it'll sell full price. If 15% discounts were common from AD's, why would people be flocking to trusted sellers here who are only doing 8-10% on Sub C's?
Perhaps because they do not know how to negotiate or would just rather make a call/send an email, get a good deal and be done with it

A better deal can ALWAYS be had it just depends on how much effort it is worth to someone. Someone purchasing a Rolex is typically not that interested in saving $500 more by shopping every trusted seller and AD in town IMHO
Old 29 July 2011, 09:14 AM   #12
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Perhaps because they do not know how to negotiate or would just rather make a call/send an email, get a good deal and be done with it

A better deal can ALWAYS be had it just depends on how much effort it is worth to someone. Someone purchasing a Rolex is typically not that interested in saving $500 more by shopping every trusted seller and AD in town IMHO
I don't know. I don't like to give away my money and am willing to put in a little effort. If I buy a $10k Rolex or a $110k Porsche, I always look for the best deal. I did not get my money by giving it away.

Great example I had one trusted seller here offer me $1k less than another one. Went to AD and they beat both--so yes it's worth it. O
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 09:21 AM   #13
train-time
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Not Allocated
Welcome to the TRF!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 09:56 AM   #14
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
daytona=20%
sub-c =15%
good luck!
skyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:

I don't know MG, perhaps FL is different, but I was able to get as much as 18% on a DeepSea, but no discount at all on a Sub C. I'm a pretty good negotiator, do it for a living, and Sub C's were impossible to get any real discounts on. I heard some FL AD's that as recently as 6 months ago were doing 15% on Sub C's, if you were buying more than one, no longer do it, it appears Rolex has tightened up the strings even more than before, either with threats of yanking AD status, or limited allocations.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 11:03 AM   #16
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know MG, perhaps FL is different, but I was able to get as much as 18% on a DeepSea, but no discount at all on a Sub C. I'm a pretty good negotiator, do it for a living, and Sub C's were impossible to get any real discounts on. I heard some FL AD's that as recently as 6 months ago were doing 15% on Sub C's, if you were buying more than one, no longer do it, it appears Rolex has tightened up the strings even more than before, either with threats of yanking AD status, or limited allocations.
I would agree with you there on the AD's tightening up and not discounting... I believe this is two fold. Threats from Rolex perhaps not directly but they are closing numerous AD's and I don't think others want to lose there brand for something like discounting...or anything silly

Secondly, I believe it to be a supply issue. There are just not the quantity flowing into the USA that there used to be. Simple supply and demand as the US economy has continued to slow Rolex is shipping to different parts of the world where the demand is there... Look at it this way, lets take the 116610LV, if a particular AD receives 2 of them and your a GREAT customer, perhaps they give you a discount but not much because they know they can and will sell it at list to the next guy. Why give away 20-30% of their profit when they have no idea when the next shipment is coming in? Where as before they were coming in right and left and they were not concerned...

I was not saying you or I cannot negotiate but more of just a general statement that many folks buying a 7-???k watch are not that concerned with a few hundred bucks and going to shop the hell out of it like my mortgage clients do... Thats all, just a guess. For me, I will shop a bit and save some $$$ a few hundred bucks is a few hundred bucks but for me I like the game (negotiating that is) There are still discounts to be had but I think it now depends more than ever the relationship you have or dont have with a certain AD.
Old 30 July 2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Kemal
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Allright, Ill do my best with the negotiation. Hope for the best:)
Kemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 12:48 AM   #18
herdinoh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 C
Quote:
I went to my AD last weekend to check PP's price for my friend. They give 10% discount for SS Rolex except SUBC LV/Daytona etc. For PP, they did give me 20% discount which is better than the price that I can get from TRF dealers.

But when I went to another AD couple weeks ago, they did not want to give me any discount.

I guess how much discount you can get all depends on which AD you choose.
herdinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 01:27 AM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

All depends in AD AND location AND past purchase history, yada, yada...

Ergo no such thing as an "average" or "expected" discount.

Most discount stories on popular stainless steel watches are fish stories...IMO.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 02:47 AM   #20
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I heard from,m my ad rolex is very strict now, they are contolling all discount rate. Anyway good luck with your negotiation. Cheers! .. Jennifer
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 02:51 AM   #21
FBI.C.7FOLD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
All depends in AD AND location AND past purchase
Stay away from Mayors in Florida for a discount as they don't discount at all, and have terrible Rolex educated employees. They sure do have an awesome Rolex boutique on the second floor of the Mall at Mellenia though--Mayors is a full charge no discount AD in FL
FBI.C.7FOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 06:14 AM   #22
phampau
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Don't forget to factor in tax if buying from the local AD, sometimes, that will wipe out the discount!
Old 30 July 2011, 08:54 AM   #23
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

For a savings of $500 I would buy from an AD.

In south Florida there are no discounts on SS sport models. Just finding one is hard enough.

Old 30 July 2011, 11:38 AM   #24
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
For a savings of $500 I would buy from an AD.

In south Florida there are no discounts on SS sport models. Just finding one is hard enough.

I would do the same for a BNIB watch. That being said I often purchase pre owned or discontinued models so I choose to work with trusted sellers right here on TRF
Old 30 July 2011, 12:06 PM   #25
Jinder
Banned

Watch: 116713
My AD gave me a 25% discount on my GMT TT
Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 12:34 PM   #26
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
My AD gave me a 25% discount on my GMT TT
Even now? As far as here in Asia market since earlier this month, rolex has tighten the rule and regulation. Eg. Each every watch sold, it is compusory for the ad the fill up a form and photocopy the warranty card, and the sales documents to be faxed to rolex for reference within 24hr so to activate the warranty. Discount has been controlled. No more than 10% if I remember correctly. It seems like it is still relax in the states.. Maybe I should buy from overseas.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 12:41 PM   #27
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
It all depends on the AD. My AD will not offer a discount unless he knows you. My AD gives me an automatic 25% off SS and TT and 30% off gold pieces. However, I have purchased 15 watches from him over the past 12 years. However, last year I referred a friend to him who was looking for a GMT, and he would not even talk discount with him, telling him that Rolex doesn't allow discounts. When I went back him the following week, he got a 15% discount.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 12:47 PM   #28
Jinder
Banned

Watch: 116713
here in Ontario Canada, 2 ADs where giving me great discounts. My local AD really went the extra mile for me and gave me a unreal 25%. List. Here is $12,080, my price after sales tax was $10,000 ($9,000 before tax). The dealer said that's the lowest price he gave for that watch...my father bought one too making it worthwhile for him. I really believe he gave me a once in a lifetime price, we sort of became friends over the last few years.

I get my watch in just a few weeks, I haven't paid for it yet but the deal is made.
Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 01:04 PM   #29
nickorloff
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on many factors, including: the scarcity / availability of the model; how much competition the AD has in their area, how hungry the AD is (and how many watches they've sold that day/week/month) and how hard you're prepared to negotiate.

Have fun
nickorloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 03:55 PM   #30
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
by the same token,if a seller on here can offer 8-10% discount after buying from an AD what discount did they get?
snog is offline   Reply With Quote