The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Mnce777
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Want to buy a Rolex, but not sure which one

Hi, im new to this forum.

I recently graduated from university and am now starting as a medical student. My parents very kindly decided to reward me with a watch of my choice as a graduation gift.

I researched a number of brands and came to the conclusion that Rolex was probably the best way to go.

I went in to Harrods a few days ago and had a look at many different models. Straight away there were two that struck me as watches which id quite like to wear: The Submariner and the GMT Master II.

I want this watch to be something I wear all the time - in both casual clothing but also in dressier situations (like dinners/formal balls etc). I probably won't be wearing it to medical school or in the hospital.

Therefore, the polished centre links of the Ceramic GMT bracelet appealed to me because they made the watch stand out and made it possible to dress the watch up or down. Similarly the two-tone models of both watches also looked superb. I narrowed all the choices down to two watches:

The GMT Master II Ceramic - 116710 LN
-or-
The Submariner Two-Tone Gold+Black Ceramic - 116613 LN

The price is not really an issue here but my main concern is the idea of a two tone watch. Im only 21 years old and a lot of people have pointed out to me that two tone watches aren't really "appropriate" for me because they're worn by slightly "more mature" people (?older lol).

Now, clearly, the decision comes down to 'what watch I like' but for me, the social considerations are also important. So I wanted to know what the general opinion was on young(er) people wearing two-tone or gold watches...

Furthermore, I had one issue with the GMT Master. The dealer told me that the polished centre links tend to scratch very easily and with a few months of use they will lose their 'shinyness' quite dramatically - I wanted to know if that is true...

Thanks very much for reading,

M7
Mnce777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
First of all congrats on your graduation !

Personally i would go for the TT sub as it can be worn in any situation and is a great first rolex. I see quite a few young guys your age wearing TT submariners, but steel GMT IIs more often. It's down to personal preference and which you prefer. If you like the gold in the TT go for it, if not, don't.

Both watches are great ! whichever you go for you won't regret it

The polished centre links can scratch quite easily, but if you take good care of it then the scratches can be minimised

I hope this helps you,

Matt
Old 23 August 2011, 08:07 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Tough choice as both ar really nice. If the TT Sub is the one you want the most this is the one you should get. It's your watch, who cares what others may or may not think.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Don't worry about scratches. During service time they will polish it up and make it look like new again just to start all over.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I don't agree that the "young" should not wear two tone. Personally, I prefer the look of the GMT vs Submariner but both are beautiful watches, especially in two tone. Congrats and best wishes for success in medical school.
Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
solocus
"TRF" Member

I wore a TT Sub in my twenties, but now I'm in my fifties and still wear a TT Sub. I don't know if this helps, lol. Congratulations on your graduation.
solocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Nothing wrong with the TT Sub for someone in the early 20's. I used to wear my ex-stepfathers TT blue sub when I was in my late teens and never felt the watch too "old" for me. Personally I think all of the sport models can be worn by anyone over about 15 (except the solid gold models.) I would just suggest you get the one that YOU want. Just a question, why wouldn't you want to wear it to school or the hospital? I know when I was in college I had plenty of friends that had sport Rolex and I'm sure that in a medical school there will even be more. I have a feeling once you get it you won't leave the house without it. The only concern I would have is that with all the nooks and crannies there is a lot of places for MRSA and other nasty bugs to hide. Just clean it when you get home and you will be good to go.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My son is 17 and wears a two-tone. Hard to beat a TT Submariner at any age.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 11:01 AM   #9
volsfan0911
"TRF" Member

I vote for the TT GMT II personally. One of my favorite watches. And wear the thing - that's what it is designed for. A good friend of mine has his pepsi on everytime I see him - suit, scrubs, you name it. Professor at Hopkins, surgical department chair. He tells me it's been on his wrist since M4 so good for him.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
Get the white gold Sub..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 11:41 AM   #11
besview
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocus View Post
I wore a TT Sub in my twenties, but now I'm in my fifties and still wear a TT Sub. I don't know if this helps, lol. Congratulations on your graduation.

Ditto
besview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 11:49 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tissot, c. 1960
Age is not a factor with regard to any Rolex, unless it is a factor to you. The opinion of anyone else is meaningless in that regard.

Any watch that is worn will get scratches. If you can't deal with that, you'd be better off without a watch.

Even a scratched up center link is thing of beauty.

Believe me. The only person who'll notice these scratches is you and you'll get used to it. If you so desire, you can get it buffed up when you have it serviced.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:03 PM   #13
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
You picked a couple of good ones. Have you considered the TT blue sub? Gorgeous. I really don't know what to advise. Congratulations on your accomplishment and good luck with your search.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:09 PM   #14
jefstathiou
"TRF" Member

I think the TT would be a great choice for you. I second the suggestion that you check out the TT blue sub, it's a beauty. I have a friend who wears it with everything from a suit to a bathing suit. Congratulations on your recent graduation, and best of luck with medical school. A TT will serve you well, both in the present, and in the future!
Omega Speedmaster Ref 311.30
Omega De Ville St. Moritz Ref. 4842.20.32
jefstathiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:18 PM   #15
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Since price is not an issue, why not check out the 18k sub, they look amazing. Good luck with your choices and cheers! .. Jennifer
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:21 PM   #16
LTM
Banned

Watch: GMT & Sub-C
First off, the right choice has already been made. Choosing a Rolex to mark your accomplishment, especially coming from your folks will make this a cherished keepsake for many years.

Next, choose the one that speaks to your heart. Don't make this choice for anyone else, but you. Choose what pleases you most and you'll be fine.

Congrats and enjoy.
LTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:29 PM   #17
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
I'd go with the 116613 Black Dial Submariner-Ceramic. It's really a gorgeous watch!

Old 23 August 2011, 12:32 PM   #18
docmarioce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'd get a TT GMT II ceramic. That watch rocks. Congrats on your graduation.

Best,
docmarioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 01:43 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnce777 View Post
there were two that struck me as watches which id quite like to wear: The Submariner and the GMT Master II.

I want this watch to be something I wear all the time - in both casual clothing but also in dressier situations (like dinners/formal balls etc).
I would vote for the SS GMT IIc. I'm prejudice, it's what I chose for myself. I live in the N. Hemisphere, and when Z-A* day comes, I like knowing I have a makeshift compass on my wrist. Or, I just like a 24-hr. hand. Whatever, I loves the IIC.

Either one will work in casual or dressy situations. I prefer the SS for both, but a TT can work fine for either too, if that's your style.

Quote:
Furthermore, I had one issue with the GMT Master. The dealer told me that the polished centre links tend to scratch very easily and with a few months of use they will lose their 'shinyness' quite dramatically - I wanted to know if that is true...
It is and isn't. It *is* true that regular wear will cause a patina to form on the PCL's. It will still be "shiny" though, just not as much. In my opinion, a watch should looked "lived-in," though.

There are folks you can find on this forum who wear the GMT with the PCL's regularly. I do, and I don't baby the watch. You can even find a few tradesmen around here who do physical labor all day with all sorts of hand-held or mechanical equipment who wear the PCL's and proudly show off the patina and herald the watch as a stout a workhorse as any befitting the logo.

Also, I've found that whether you go with brushed or polished, silver, SS, or gold, or any other composite, a well-worn timepiece for your wrist will pick up the odd blemish here and there. One of the reasons I buy watches with a bit of "backbone," which any you've mentioned will have, is that they can tough it out with me.

*Z-A: Zombie Apocalypse.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 01:50 PM   #20
john88

Watch: rolex sub-c
im 23, had the gmt II-c and now have the sub-c ss,I much prefer the sub over the gmt. As close as they appear to be, imo they are different as night and day. The sub just feels perfect and the gmt felt like it was lacking something. I also tried on the sub tt and for some reason had the same thoughts as you. I kinda got the impression that it seemed alil mature for me. Figure ill revisit it 10yrs from now lol
john88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 01:54 PM   #21
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Both two great pieces, but if it was me I'd go for the SS GMTc

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:54 PM   #22
bYAZZ
"TRF" Member

if money is no object, get both - one dress watch, one casual!
bYAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote