The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2008, 05:41 AM   #1
The Oak

don't kill me, please

I have been following this forum for ages and have written quite a few times. Last year I fell in love with Rolex and bought myself the GMT IIc. All the watches I have ever owned have been at least 42 mm and finally Rolex came out with the GMT IIc which has a bigger appearance becaquse of the ceramic dial. A couple of months later I purchased the SS daytona hoping that it would knock me over like my first rolex; however it didn't and has been in my safe untouched. I just couldn't get myself to wear such an expensive watch unless I was truly taken with it. I have now the opportunity to trade it with a Panerai luminor 8 days (brand new.) I love that Panerai and it has an in house movement. Are they really that good or are they extremely over priced? Even though I don't wear it I still love the SS Daytona as it is one of the finest watches ever made. I don't mind keeping it until someday it winks at me just the right way. But then I couldn't get the panerai. What should I do???
The Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:43 AM   #2
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
There's no use in having it if you;re scared to wear it. Get a watch you will wear and enjoy, dadgummit!

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oak View Post
I have been following this forum for ages and have written quite a few times. Last year I fell in love with Rolex and bought myself the GMT IIc. All the watches I have ever owned have been at least 42 mm and finally Rolex came out with the GMT IIc which has a bigger appearance becaquse of the ceramic dial. A couple of months later I purchased the SS daytona hoping that it would knock me over like my first rolex; however it didn't and has been in my safe untouched. I just couldn't get myself to wear such an expensive watch unless I was truly taken with it. I have now the opportunity to trade it with a Panerai luminor 8 days (brand new.) I love that Panerai and it has an in house movement. Are they really that good or are they extremely over priced? Even though I don't wear it I still love the SS Daytona as it is one of the finest watches ever made. I don't mind keeping it until someday it winks at me just the right way. But then I couldn't get the panerai. What should I do???
I like the Daytona more but thats just my opinion. I dont know what you should do, sorry.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:49 AM   #4
The Oak

the question is whether that specific panerai is comparable to the daytona in quality or is it just a hyped up watch.
Old 23 October 2008, 05:50 AM   #5
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Go for the watch you want, i have to say that's a great choice you have there, the P2002 is a lovely looking movement that i've not heard a bad word about, is it the PAM233 you're looking at or a radomir?

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Do watchuwannado!
Old 23 October 2008, 05:55 AM   #7
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
Hey Oak:

I completely understand where you are coming from.
Once you own and wear a GMT IIc..........no other watch will satisfy you in the same way.
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:57 AM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Wear and enjoy the watch.
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I don't think you can make a judgement untill you start wearing the Daytona for a bit. It needs to "grow on you". Try it out - you may very quickly fall in love with it and that will make up your mind.

If after wearing that Daytona the Panni calls you more then go for it - but give the Daytona more of a trial. You owe it to yourself.
Old 23 October 2008, 05:58 AM   #10
Atlanta
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB & 114270
This Daytona only costs $2k more than the GMTIIc - don't put it on a pedestal. If you like the Pan - get it! No sense in keeping a Daytona just to have a Daytona.
Old 23 October 2008, 06:01 AM   #11
The Oak

pam233. Guys, please give me real honest and knowledgeable opinions
Old 23 October 2008, 06:07 AM   #12
Mrdi
Banned

Never lock a beautiful woman away.
Nothing quite like the magic that descends when you wear a Daytona.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:11 AM   #13
dro57
"TRF" Member

Watch: Waiting for new PO
If the Daytona doesn't do anything for you, then go with what does...life is too short and money is too scarce.
dro57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:13 AM   #14
The Oak

can't see whether it has a c.o.s.c. certificate
Old 23 October 2008, 06:15 AM   #15
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:

I can give you a personal opinion:

Rolex Daytona - I don't really like them, no date function is a deal killer for me, the gain in price is just too much for my liking lately but they do hold their value, some of the models can be difficult to read due to the dial colours and size, but then again this may be different to others. They are well made and one of the most recognisable chronos out there.

Panerai - Looks nice, large on the wrist, very clear to read and well made, but dear god where did these prices come from, this watch is up there with some serious big hitters pricewise and would be about 4th on my list at this price range. I prefer the titanium or ceramic cases, the SS is something i'm not too partial on either but again others love the clean look. This may have the date function but loses the chrono features. I do like the display casebacks though, seeing the movement on expensive watches is nice as they're works of art.

So in reality my point of view isn't really worthwhile to yourself, but i try to show some of the positives and negatives, but then again one mans positive is another mans negative.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:16 AM   #16
chennney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5212A
WatchTime has reviewed the 233 -- it can be found in the magazine archive. Based upon the current Panerai price list from Sept 2008, the PAM233 is retailing for $14700, which is almost $5000 above the retail for the SS Daytona. If you were lucky enough to buy your Daytona at msrp, then this trade would net you an extra $5k. Meaning, if you trade and you don't like the PAM233, you could sell it for nearly the list price and still buy back your Daytona and have some cash left over -- assuming you could get the Daytona again at msrp.

I've always appreciated Panerai as a cult brand but I still can't get myself to pay $15000 for the 233 or $17000 for the 270. I have both the SS Daytona and the SS GMTIIc and I love both. I do agree with you that the Daytona is much more valuable and I don't get to wear it as much but I love my Daytona and I could never part with it. I would rather trade my GMTIIc + some cash to get the PAM before I gave up my Daytona. GMTIIc aren't that hard to get and you don't have to jump through any hoops to get one. So, my opinion is to get rid of the GMTIIc and try out the PAM.
chennney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:19 AM   #17
The Oak

could you post the link to the watchtime review please?
Old 23 October 2008, 06:25 AM   #18
chennney
"TRF" Member

PAM 233
http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...007_03_152.pdf

Hope that helps
Old 23 October 2008, 06:35 AM   #19
chennney
"TRF" Member

You have a PM
Old 23 October 2008, 06:41 AM   #20
RossInIllinois
Banned

Watch: GMT 2
Give it to me i'll keep in in my safe for awhile..
RossInIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 06:44 AM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

Always get the one you want. No watch has a lock on everyone.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 10:33 AM   #22
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I think the Daytona is totally over rated.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 10:40 AM   #23
dubeagle

I'd keep the Daytona!
dubeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 11:30 AM   #24
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
It's one of the few Panerai with manufacture movement. Many others use ETA movement. So it's worth a little more $$. Personally I don't like the linear 8 day power reserve display. For a SS GMT watch, having more power reserve does not justify it's price tag which is more than double that of GMT-IIC.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 11:41 AM   #25
llamaofdoom

I'd do that trade...assuming it's a straight trade. If you're having to add cash, then it would depend entirely on how much $ you're being asked to kick in.
llamaofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:18 PM   #26
MACRAME QUEENS
Banned

Alo, aver! Mahneeshma?

Keep the Daytona--it is a better watch.
MACRAME QUEENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:36 PM   #27
duc748
"TRF" Member

Well, I have both 233 and SS daytona white dial. I love both watches. It is hard to say which one I love more. Both watches give me different feeling when it is on my wrist. It depends on the way you dress and mood for that day. Are there anyone get the same feeling?
duc748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:48 PM   #28
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

The Panerai 8-days is a very handsome watch, but so is the Daytona. I think they serve slightly different niches - the Daytona has probably more universal appeal and can serve as a dress watch while the Panerai would be more suited to lovers of big, chunky watches.

As for the movements, the Daytona houses Rolex's in-house manufacture, which is very highly regarded and is possibly an improvement on the previous El Primero (purchased from Zenith). The 8-day in the meantime, contains one of Panerai's inhouse movements and looks very attractive through the open caseback.

I'm not sure whether they operate in the same price bracket all over the world because grey market premia might vary among countries. A friend of mine in Singapore has just bought a pre-owned 8-days, paying S$16,000 or about US$11,000, which is roughly the same as for a pre-owned S/S Daytona. Hope this helps!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 02:07 PM   #29
mpower78
"TRF" Member

I guess I was in similar situation maybe a month ago but I didn't have SS daytona and I was looking to get one. However, I didn't want to wait to get the watch and i needed to save money since I just purchased M Sub/Date. However, someone told me about PAM and I really liked it. (I wanted either 112 or 111, i like simple one) I almost bought it from my AD but backed out after I saw IWC Portugese 7 days. So, I'm saving for IWC Por and probably sell my Sub (it is a month old and I wore about 15 times...)

Get the watch you want and enjoy it.
mpower78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 02:31 PM   #30
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 ??? Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:

ok ok ok give me the daytona...whats your offer?? pm me