The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2024, 07:09 AM   #1
seezur
"TRF" Member

Reality of bluesy availability.

Hi all, long time lurker with some questions or maybe just to vent. I’ve seen all the posts about getting a Rolex these days and the difficulties that come with it. I’m in upstate NY, and my first (and only) Rolex is a Datejust 36 with oyster bracelet and bezel. I ordered it in 2016 and while I was there I could have grabbed a hulk or black stainless sub; there was no shortage and sales associates were trying to wine and dine me for the privilege.

Now it seems I cannot get a bluesy. The AD I bought my watch from lost their Rolex AD status around 2020 I think. I really have no desire to go grey.

There are 3 ADs “near” me. The one in Buffalo I stopped by at first cause it’s an hour away. I met the manager and it started off great but later when I called to ask some other questions a few weeks later he was standoffish and rushed me off the phone, though I have no idea why as I was very polite to him. They do have other watches I like there (Monaco, the new Tudor BB with jubilee). They also have some nice jewelry.

The other two dealers are in the Albany area which is 4-5 hours away. One of the people I spoke to on the phone seemed genuinely nice and interested in getting me a bluesy. She said 6 months to a year at the time (this was in February). Now she’s saying it’ll be into next year.

The other dealer didn’t seem interested in making a sale. He also has a GS white birch I want, but I really want the bluesy first and it’d be hard to justify 27k to get both at once. My only idea is I could bundle the sale that way and tell him if he gets one in sooner I’d be willing to get both. He will only put me on the list if I see him face to face, and is saying 1-2 YEARS for a bluesy.

Basically I’m just bummed that it’s looking like I won’t be getting one anytime soon. I’m also worried that the “we’ll get you one in a year” is just them putting me off with no intention of selling me a watch.

This pales in comparison to my experience with Cartier in Paris, where I walked in and out with a beautiful tank and had a pretty good sales experience.

Am I screwed? What other options are available to me? If I can’t get at least something of a guarantee of getting one at some point, I think I’ll grab another Cartier. I do like the two tone Santos large.
seezur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 08:15 AM   #2
Politiceaux
"TRF" Member

I understand that you’re not necessarily interested in grey but you can quite easily get a BNIB bluesy for about retail plus tax from very reputable dealers within a day or two. I’d much rather that than settling for another watch if the bluesy is what you really want.
Politiceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 08:16 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You need to visit these stores in person and register your interest. Calling stores is of no benefit at all, if you want to buy a watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 08:28 AM   #4
yetione
"TRF" Member

I've got a decent spend history, $40k including submariners and GMT Master 2's.... and I have to say, I was shocked at how hard it was to get a Bluesy. I had to call in some favors. Maybe the bluesy has become more popular with an evolution in consumer preferences. Who knows.... but my wait was roughly the same as my GMT Master 2.
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 08:43 AM   #5
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I personally prefer the older bluesy w the Smurf dial to match the bezel over the sunburst version. You should take a look at that one too.
Old 6 April 2024, 08:46 AM   #6
seezur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetione View Post
I've got a decent spend history, $40k including submariners and GMT Master 2's.... and I have to say, I was shocked at how hard it was to get a Bluesy. I had to call in some favors. Maybe the bluesy has become more popular with an evolution in consumer preferences. Who knows.... but my wait was roughly the same as my GMT Master 2.
Interesting. I thought it would be easier since two tone is such a polarizing color scheme.

My concern is mainly that me being on the “wait list” doesn’t have any real meaning. I don’t mind waiting a year but if a year goes by and they tell me it’s going to be another year or ask me “who are you” like the SA in Albany did after we spoke literally last month, I’ll be upset.
Old 6 April 2024, 08:52 AM   #7
seezur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
You need to visit these stores in person and register your interest. Calling stores is of no benefit at all, if you want to buy a watch.
I’ve only been able to visit the one in Buffalo (I’m out there somewhat frequently), and I get the feeling the manager is being pissy with me, so I don’t think it’s going to happen. It’s unfortunate because they have non Rolex stuff I like but I’m not going to beg them to give them my money.

The other two are 4-5 hours, but the one AD seems genuinely interested in working with me despite just a phone call.

I’ve considered Toronto too but seems like a headache.
Old 6 April 2024, 09:15 AM   #8
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I had the 12 bluesy 3 times. Got it anywhere from 1 week to 1 month.
Old 6 April 2024, 09:29 AM   #9
OTX
"TRF" Member

It’s not a hard watch to get at an AD. I got one in 3 days and my cousin in 3 weeks. I think if you look hard enough and visit in person, you’ll get it faster than you think.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 01:27 PM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Sucks to not have a dealer or two near you but I agree with others that a Bluesey shouldn’t be hard to get from an AD. I would start by going back to the nearest one and speak frankly with them, i.e. “I want to buy a tutone Sub with blue dial, can you get me one?”
If the answer is anything less than positive you’re going to have to go elsewhere. I suspect the reseller price will be MSRP or less shortly, or you might consider a trip to NYC and make the rounds there. I just can’t imagine having to wait a year or more for one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 04:38 PM   #11
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

My friend just got it as a walk in?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 05:06 PM   #12
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Though it sounds logistically difficult, I think you need to visit in person rather than call. I don’t think calling ADs will get you anywhere.

If you value your time more than spending several hours travelling to/fro ADs, then I’d speak with some of the trusted sellers here in TRF who can have the watch with you in a couple of days or less.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 05:35 PM   #13
seezur
"TRF" Member

I just did the math, and I can fly in and hit up 6 of the dealers in manhattan for about $400 worth of Ubers and flights and 14 hours of my day in travel time with about an half hour per boutique.

While it’s feasible, will doing this really increase my odds by much?
Old 6 April 2024, 05:49 PM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seezur View Post
It’s unfortunate because they have non Rolex stuff I like but I’m not going to beg them to give them my money.
I think you might be viewing this back to front. If they have stuff you like and want to buy and it's at a convenient location, buying it will give you more spend history and more face to face interactions. There is no substitute for being in the store and being seen spending. Just stick to buying things you actually want. I wouldn't bin it on the strength of a phone call, unless you've been back into the store and brushed off in person - that's different.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 06:17 PM   #15
SAP7
"TRF" Member

It’s a watch that’s around list to buy grey.
So order one now.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 07:38 PM   #16
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

The Bluesy is such an awesome watch. Either retail or grey you will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 07:48 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
I just did the math, and I can fly in and hit up 6 of the dealers in manhattan for about $400 worth of Ubers and flights and 14 hours of my day in travel time with about an half hour per boutique.

Manhattan will be way more difficult than your upstate ADs.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:10 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think the OP is making this more difficult than it has to be. Playing the AD game in all the various forms is a no go for me and should be for most who are not established already, famous or rich. The TT Blue Submariner can be purchased close to retail plus tax NIB from our Trusted Sellers and preowned is better than that. The time of traveling and going into AD is a folly for those who know what they want and are willing to act. No issues with the big Trusted Sellers and the Customer Service is great. I have never felt rushed along or ignored and my purchases are right when they arrive. OP, great watch choice in the TT Blue Submariner but go ahead and save yourself the time, money and travel and pick the watch up from a Trusted Seller and start the ownership experience. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:34 PM   #19
themacman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
I personally prefer the older bluesy w the Smurf dial to match the bezel over the sunburst version. You should take a look at that one too.
Agree.
themacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:52 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Use a trusted seller here, you have 2 great benefits, you are on the forum so can research them and 2 you are in the US, don't have to play silly AD games esp when the price is the same and certainly not flying and ubering away 400 bucks as well, man your time/money balance is way out of my whack!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:54 PM   #21
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Phone calls don’t work. Keep that in mind when trying to buy a Rolex. In person only
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 10:54 PM   #22
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Bruh…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 11:08 PM   #23
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacman View Post
Agree.
I know this stuff is subjective, but I can’t believe there are people out there that prefer the flat blue dial to the sunburst.

To each his own, I guess!
Phil8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 11:11 PM   #24
dgjks6
"TRF" Member

Saw my first blue/gold submariner in 1993 on my honeymoon. Been looking at them since. My memory is a little weak but in the early 90's you could go to a lot more jewelers and just buy one. Then AD only with fixed prices. But you could still go in and buy one. Then when I had the cash to buy one they became scarce. I tried in NY, locally, caribbean, and Europe and it was always the same response. Not available.

Then I got drunk and got used one (different story)

Took to the AD to get serviced and asked about ordering a 126613lb and they said they can't even order them.

But then I saw a guy on YouTube buy one in stock in Amsterdam?

Is this post helpful? No

But for a casual Rolex person I agree they are hard to get from an AD without paying $2-3K over MSRP and ordering it missing out on the whole purchasing experience
dgjks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 01:07 AM   #25
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Blusey should be easy to get. Got the 12 series after 1 hour. Called AD… do you have… come get it.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 01:16 AM   #26
FloydRedford
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Like others, id recommend buying from a trusted seller here. No games, no wait, no worries. Have a beautiful bluesy on your wrist in two days (or less).
FloydRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 01:40 AM   #27
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:

Not in NYC, think Midwest where you can drive a couple hours and visit a few ads. These really aren’t that hard to find. I would expect to put your name down and get a follow up allocation within a month… just try to make an honest connection with at least one AD and results should follow.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 02:23 AM   #28
dpayne7571
"TRF" Member

Go grey as I did and have it next day on your wrist! Worth the mark up!
dpayne7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 03:02 AM   #29
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I got a call for a Blusey in Chicago area after asking for a SS sub in three months.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 05:14 AM   #30
Submariner2019
"TRF" Member

Hi OP,
I have a bluesy myself and waited a few months for it in 2019. It was my first Rolex and I enjoyed the experience. I think you would as well. I would go to the closest ad in person and stay in contact with a sales person there who you click with (occasionally email them for an update, or phone call). Even stop in after a month wait to say hi and see them when they are working. Your leg work will show the sales associate your serious and not a flipper.
When it comes in, You’ll get the experience, the warranty card with your name on it and have an established relationship with them. It’ll come in handy when you decide you want another Rolex! It will happen for you!
Submariner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote