The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2024, 10:47 AM   #1
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

Do you use gold quick release pins on replacement straps

I like the quick release pins on Pateks but all the aftermarket strap manufacturers use steel quick release pins. Will this damage the holes on the watch case?
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 01:54 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiorolex View Post
I like the quick release pins on Pateks but all the aftermarket strap manufacturers use steel quick release pins. Will this damage the holes on the watch case?

Yes it will. Do not do that
Get a spare pair of gold quick release spring bars like I did from Patek. $150 I think they cost. Good value to avoid gourding out your holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 09:13 PM   #3
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Yes. Not only will steel screw up the holes, but also I want to make sure the spring bar size (not the width but the actual diameter of the spring bar) is the same as the watch was originally designed to house.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Just use the originals, take them out of the strap and put them on the one that you want a use. All you need is to make sure that the new strap has the slits for them . I guess you can buy an extra pair but you really don’t need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 02:08 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Several (very) high end brands use ss spring bars on precious metal watches. I've talked to some of the brands directly and their response was that once the spring bar is in place, there are no significant forces constantly operating between it and the case, so their tests did not indicate any harm in using ss spring bars. Journe and MB&F, among others, do this.

Patek uses precious metal spring bars on corresponding precious metal watches, as does Rolex. Is this more of a "luxury" than a practical/technical decision? From the information I've gathered, it seems like it. I see the logic behind the argument that, being a harder metal, ss could damage the case of the watch over time, and I suppose this is where the common opinion contained in this thread, to avoid doing that, comes from. However, all concrete information I have found indicates that it's just a common misconception.

Btw, I've been using several straps with ss spring bars with my 5204p and, even under 10x magnification, there is no damage to the case's holes.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:13 AM   #6
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Yes, i only use the gold spring bars that came with the watch, but it is more the diameter I would be worried about.
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:11 AM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Several (very) high end brands use ss spring bars on precious metal watches. I've talked to some of the brands directly and their response was that once the spring bar is in place, there are no significant forces constantly operating between it and the case, so their tests did not indicate any harm in using ss spring bars. Journe and MB&F, among others, do this.

Patek uses precious metal spring bars on corresponding precious metal watches, as does Rolex. Is this more of a "luxury" than a practical/technical decision? From the information I've gathered, it seems like it. I see the logic behind the argument that, being a harder metal, ss could damage the case of the watch over time, and I suppose this is where the common opinion contained in this thread, to avoid doing that, comes from. However, all concrete information I have found indicates that it's just a common misconception.

Btw, I've been using several straps with ss spring bars with my 5204p and, even under 10x magnification, there is no damage to the case's holes.
Lange put titanium inserts in their lugs so I guess they consider damage will occur since they use SS pin bars.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:33 AM   #8
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

I only use gold ones. Given than i dont change straps too often i just use the ones that come with the watch (remove from one strap and put then into the other strap)
Rogerusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:02 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I asked this question a few years ago. I do try to use gold bars if I can . I guess my question is if was an issue I feel like I'd see more examples of lug holes that are out of round or worn out etc. still have yet to come across any evidence of that happening
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote