The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 January 2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

LF 2nd Watch: Panerai PAM 380 or Omega Speedmaster Pro 005

Hi All,

This is my first thread and 2nd post ever since joining here. I have always lurked around and read posts from members about certain models I like. I don't normally reply or start threads cause I find most of the members very knowledgeable and need not any clarification. however, I felt the need to post this as there is limited comparison between the 2 watches I like, and some have outdated perspective about it when placed side by side.

Currently, I have a Submariner 114060 as my only watch for more than half a year now. I'm a "1 watch at a time" kind of guy, but now ready to buy a 2nd or backup watch since my sub gets beaten up daily. Note that I plan to get the next watch with the following attributes:

1. manual winding, it's more suited for the application I intend
2. budget on the mid range, about 3000-4000USD.
3. would look good on a black or brown leather, smooth or croc, strap. Dressier option is an advantage
4. would not swim with it, but a good amount of water proofing would be nice
5. 2nd hand is acceptable but much preferred in mint condition.

I was leaning towards the Omega Speedmaster Professional 005 with the big box and done extensive research on it. I have always thought that I will have this watch someday since it is, in my opinion, the best chronograph I know. However, I noticed I have chosen other watches in the past whenever I put this in the choices. maybe because I preferred divers before chronos so as to why I had never purchased it...

Upon going to a reputable 2nd-hand dealer (not AD) in my area, I had checked out some watches on their inventory including a brand new speedy with Dec-2016 omega warranty... the dealer then found out I was into manual wound watches after some conversations, and he said I had to check out some of his new Panerais (certain model was the Pam 380). I didn't like it at first, Panerais in general, since I thought (including my wife) they were very big watches, like wall clock big... But when I strapped the PAM380 on my wrist, I immediately was impressed and forgot about the Speedy. it was a really classy watch to wear and something someone should include in their collection. I tried the luminors (0000 and 1005) but the lugs made it more bigger so I'm leaning towards the radiomirs.

Coming out of the dealer, instead of taking home a Speedy, I took home a lot of questions and homework for research. After 2 days, I'm haven't got a decision between the speedy or the PAM380. Fortunately the dealers are closed due to the Chinese New Year, but I plan to buy one of them as soon as they open on Thursday.

Would like to solicit your opinions on the 2 watches, I've seen a thread where the speedy won over the PAM380. But that was only 1 thread and the TS search for a first watch... Thanks in advance!
Pan Chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 11:20 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Get the 380 and discover the world of strap addiction.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 12:07 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

Panerai all the way ^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 08:49 AM   #4
stockae92
2024 Pledge Member

What is speedmaster 005?

having said that, for a manual wind, non-swimmer, and knowing that you think 0000 is too big, I would go for Speedmaster 3570 or such. It has great history. The watch wears great for 42mm and has a practical complication. I feel like speedmaster has more significance in horology than a PAM380 does.

And a speedmaster does looks good on different straps / bracelet as well. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 09:06 AM   #5
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Tough call. I have both (not a 380 but the comparable Luminor) and I don't know which to recommend. I'll start by saying that either of them will suit your needs perfectly...which I guess is why you can't decide.

I suspect that you will end up with both in the future, so the question really is which one to get first. For that I would say the Speedmaster. Having a 114060 and a Speedy Pro is a very solid foundation on which to build your future collection, which will undoubtedly include the PAM 380.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Get the 380 and discover the world of strap addiction.
Thanks, That is exactly what excites me with the Panerai, every strap makes the watch look like a different watch.
Old 31 January 2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Speedmaster all day. It's a classic, albeit the one you are looking at it sized larger than the older versions and I prefer the smaller cases.

There is something about the dial of the Speedy, perhaps the best proportioned most legible chronograph dial ever. Ok, maybe that's a little too enthusiastic but you get where I'm coming from.

I will add however that the classic Speedy never has that same wrist presence that a Panerai or your Sub will have. It's very understated. I wear mine on a leather racing strap and I think that makes it even more understated. I say this as if you are looking for a watch that others will see the the classic Speedy is not it. That Dark Side or Grey Side of the Moon Speedies will have that, but not this classic version you are looking at.

Good luck either way.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
What is speedmaster 005?

having said that, for a manual wind, non-swimmer, and knowing that you think 0000 is too big, I would go for Speedmaster 3570 or such. It has great history. The watch wears great for 42mm and has a practical complication. I feel like speedmaster has more significance in horology than a PAM380 does.

And a speedmaster does looks good on different straps / bracelet as well. :)
Hi, the 005 is the last 3 digit of the current speedmaster professional moonwatch model, so it is the hesalite non display back version with the fancy box. Sorry for confusion but I think this is the same watch as the 3570. With that said, I get what you are telling and its the same thing that makes this decision hard as it is. I mean before Friday, I only knew how to distinguish between a radiomir and a luminor, and the voice of Archie yelling MOTFM.... Now I'm too deep in my research with italian frogmen and the 2nd world war. I'll be honest I'm leaning towards the Speedy, but I now understand why people get hooked with Panerais and I was really wrong with how I looked at the brand before.
Old 31 January 2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Just to add, if you are smitten by Panerai then there is so much more than the 380 you saw. So much more. You are in Macau so you have no excuse not to see the whole world of watches either right on your doorstep in Macau or a 50 min ferry ride away in HK.

Take your time. See as much as you can.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Tough call. I have both (not a 380 but the comparable Luminor) and I don't know which to recommend. I'll start by saying that either of them will suit your needs perfectly...which I guess is why you can't decide.

I suspect that you will end up with both in the future, so the question really is which one to get first. For that I would say the Speedmaster. Having a 114060 and a Speedy Pro is a very solid foundation on which to build your future collection, which will undoubtedly include the PAM 380.
Thanks and appreciate the response, I will definitely get the PAM or the speedy if not chosen this week. I did have a thought sometime last year that if I ever had a collection of luxury watches, I'll limit it to 3 pieces that has a diver, a chrono, and a gmt. Which the speedy ticks a lot of boxes, plus a strap change makes it easier to look on coats.

BTW, would you have a photo of them together? Its ok if not, its just that my dealer wont let me take a picture of the 2 watch side by side due to store policy

Old 5 February 2017, 11:42 PM   #11
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Just to add, if you are smitten by Panerai then there is so much more than the 380 you saw. So much more. You are in Macau so you have no excuse not to see the whole world of watches either right on your doorstep in Macau or a 50 min ferry ride away in HK.

Take your time. See as much as you can.
Yep, most of the purchases I did were from grey to 2nd hand dealers in HK. Panerai hasn't been on my radar until recent, I'll keep checking them out until I'm ready to get a 3rd watch. Many thanks for your inputs.
Old 5 February 2017, 11:53 PM   #12
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

OK guys, thanks for all the responses and here are some pics of my new speedy...
Old 6 February 2017, 01:58 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! One of my favorites
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote