The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 February 2017, 06:46 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Holy Trinity Sports Watches: Most durable/serviceable?

I keep getting this itch to own a watch from the HT. I've been raising funds recently to try to achieve this. I'm the type of guy that likes to wear my watches frequently and often in most any situation. So I've kind of decided against a dress watch as due to my lifestyle and profession that wouldn't get much wear.

So essentially I'm looking at AP RO, VC Overseas, and PP Aquanaut. The Nautilus might be the more direct comparison, but it's another notch up in price and I actually prefer the overall design of the Aquanaut anyways.

Among these 3, is there one that would be more durable and serviceable over long-term ownership? I am not necessarily talking about service costs, I understand these will be high for any of them. But I guess more along the lines of maybe being able to find a skilled watchmaker that would be able to service them without necessarily having to send them back to the manufacturer each time.

As for durability, my daily wearer is a Rolex Sub 16610. I don't abuse it by any means, but I also don't baby it. I'm an office worker so pretty easy on my watches, but it takes its share of desk diving, accidental knocks, taking it into the shower, even survived 1-2 accidental drops over the years. I'm hoping one of the above 3 models can be worn in similar fashion without too much ill effect.

If ultimately those HT watches are ones that should be worn more carefully and babied, I understand and totally respect that. There are other Rolexes I could look into getting instead.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:12 AM   #2
psv
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned them all, at the end of the day, in my book, you cannot beat a modern Rolex with adjustable clasp in terms of enjoyment, durability, reliability, value and of course design.

Don't buy a VC, AP or PP and think you can skimp on the service. It will cost you $1,000 easily for regular service, factor that into the purchase decision.

Having said all of this, money no object, I'd love to be sporting a AP 15202, a VC Chrono and a Tiffany-dial 5167 :-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 07:13 AM   #3
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Own two of the three well that is is the 5711 instead of the 5167.
Firstly I don't think a few drops will do either of them much good, even if they did make it , you might pay for it at service. A Rolex service is around 500 but a service for these would be around double. So a drop will hurt a lot.

The other key issues is case finishing. The brushed surfaces are a lot harder to keep scratch free.

Of the three I think the best value is the VC, the most versatile is the 5711,but you can't go wrong with one of those. Try them on and buy the one that you like the most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 February 2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I own a 5712, wear it for a week/couple of weeks, and rotate it back into the box in my nine-watch collection. Over the years, it's probably been the one I come back to the most. I still think it's stunning.

I don't lead an extreme sports lifestyle, and if I did, I'd wear a Rolex. My holiday/knockabout watch is a 16610. The two make the basis of a pretty cool collection possibly.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 10:38 PM   #5
waspy1
Banned

I can't imagine taking any of these pieces to your local 'skilled watchmaker' to be honest. I'd most likely return them to the mothership. Unless you're sure the independent can get the correct replacement gaskets etc which would be required during service. A nautilus, aquanaut or RO movement may well survive a drop but the case will likely be badly affected. Dings and scratches on these pieces look awful and they can't take a polish as well as a Rolex case. Your could count on an couple of polishes but after that, the shape of the case / bezel may look off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 07:19 AM   #6
phalen302
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Solid gold sub is the most durable, versatile, fits all the occasion and makes the statement. Can't go wrong with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (89.4 KB, 160 views)
phalen302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 07:49 AM   #7
earlmale
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5170g
A, B or C? 40% of responses so far: Wrong. Rolex. Wow.

ANYWAY, I have an APRO 15400, PP 5164 and 5711. I've also owned an explorer II and GMTII BLNR. I haven't found a VC that I like, so I'm useless on that front.

I've had to send both the EXPII and GMTII in for servicing, while under warranty. They both ran, ok, but the GMT function got a little wonky. I haven't had any issues at all with the AP, or the Pateks. Granted, I've had them for a bit over a year, but still, no issues. I've worn my 5711 to the office the last couple of days. I don't store anything in a safe, I wear all of my watches daily, whenever the mood strikes me. They've all held up just fine.

One thing, though. Once you get into these watches, pretty much any Rolex will feel ridiculously bulky and unrefined. Especially compared to a Patek.

Lastly, does everyone really drop their watches that frequently? I've never dropped a mechanical watch. They go from my wrist to case, and then back to wrist.
earlmale is offline   Reply With Quote