The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 January 2022, 06:55 AM   #1
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
Icon4 tkyim - SCAMMER DO NOT CLICK LINK IN EMAIL

Careful - this guy is sending malicious links asking for references for sellers here on the forum.

This is what he sends:

"Hey there,

I'm emailing regarding my first big purchase a Rolex GMT-Master II 126710blnr from a TRF member, The seller indicate that you can vouch for him.
Price is very well below market price and seller has some past history posting on the forum, So i was curious and thought it would be worth the due diligence.

He gave me two references email to contact, the other is very positive about seller. Here's the listing, If you're curious about it on TRF.

MALICIOUS LINK HERE

Your reply is highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 29 January 2022, 05:15 AM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Okay I just got the same thing. Besides the obvious grammar clues (although I understand that English isn't everyone's primary language on TRF), there should be no need to get references for DavidSW. I did buy a Speedmaster from him maybe 5 years ago (thumbs up) but there's no chance I would be on his list of references.

Interestingly, when I went to the TRF website I could not find that user so I'm wondering if somehow TRF was hacked enough to get my email (it was the one I used to register for the forum). Be careful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF Scam.jpg (251.8 KB, 249 views)
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 05:38 AM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Mods were aware of this guy/gal yesterday. I wonder why they weren't banned?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=839335
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 08:11 AM   #4
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
User profile now stays Banned. The link he sent me was actually somewhat sophisticated to appear as though it led to an in-forum post.
Old 29 January 2022, 01:47 PM   #5
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Okay I just got the same thing. Besides the obvious grammar clues (although I understand that English isn't everyone's primary language on TRF), there should be no need to get references for DavidSW. I did buy a Speedmaster from him maybe 5 years ago (thumbs up) but there's no chance I would be on his list of references.

Interestingly, when I went to the TRF website I could not find that user so I'm wondering if somehow TRF was hacked enough to get my email (it was the one I used to register for the forum). Be careful!
I got exactly the same e-mail. Be careful out there everyone.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 12:54 AM   #6
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
Just got this same scam PM from user: K7Baixo2. Stay frosty folks, read URLs and use 2FA.
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 04:47 AM   #7
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolex View Post
Just got this same scam PM from user: K7Baixo2. Stay frosty folks, read URLs and use 2FA.

You should return to the PM and click the red triangle at the top right. This is a much quicker way to get this member banned. It alerts all mods and the admin of his activity. They don't read every post here.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 06:18 AM   #8
Droolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG SeaQ Pano date
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
You should return to the PM and click the red triangle at the top right. This is a much quicker way to get this member banned. It alerts all mods and the admin of his activity. They don't read every post here.
Oh def. That is the first thing I did.
Droolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 12:42 PM   #9
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Careful out there everyone!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 03:38 PM   #10
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Quote:

I personally know K7Baixo2, and he is not a scammer. I spoke to him today, and it seems his account here has been hacked.

Old 3 February 2022, 03:59 PM   #11
77T

Quote:

I believe that was a good strategy in the past for most users, Dave.

But scammers who send a PM could be spoofing (having built a script for that red triangle ) and voilà one lands in East Malware.

In other words, clicking “Report” would offer up a webpage looking like a TRF report form. Then after all the info was added it would prompt an honest TRF’er into verifying their identity via UID/Password. At that point, any non-2FA member could be compromised.

You and I might be safe because we are 2FA enabled - but the majority of accounts are still vulnerable…

Please - anyone reading this - if you haven’t enabled 2FA, do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:45 PM   #12
K7Baixo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Code, Explor.II
I’m back!

Quote:
It’s amazing how fast a user, registered here since 2013, can be labeled a scammer and banned. Let me say this:

I am not a crook!

Thankfully, there’s a process to contact the admins, pay a $20 fee, have my ID somewhat validated and get access reinstated. I didn’t want my username tarnished by someone searching for K7baixo2 and finding the comment above. My reputation means a lot. Thanks DLRIDES for your assistance!
Old 8 February 2022, 12:42 AM   #13
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7Baixo2 View Post
It’s amazing how fast a user, registered here since 2013, can be labeled a scammer and banned. Let me say this:

I am not a crook!

Thankfully, there’s a process to contact the admins, pay a $20 fee, have my ID somewhat validated and get access reinstated. I didn’t want my username tarnished by someone searching for K7baixo2 and finding the comment above. My reputation means a lot. Thanks DLRIDES for your assistance!
Then stop clicking on phishing scam emails and entering your TRF log in info....
Old 8 February 2022, 12:58 AM   #14
K7Baixo2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Then stop clicking on phishing scam emails and entering your TRF log in info....
I didn’t. When I got access restored, I had eight or nine PM’s from four different people. Those were the first PM received since 2020 when I thought about selling my BLNR. All were deleted without opening or clicking on the links.

I suspect there was a data breech. Apple’s password process on my iPad indicated that weeks ago but I hadn’t changed the password yet. That’s been done and 2FA enabled.

Are there any other accusations you’d like to throw my way?
Old 8 February 2022, 01:58 AM   #15
Knappo 1307

Quote:
I didn’t. When I got access restored, I had eight or nine PM’s from four different people. Those were the first PM received since 2020 when I thought about selling my BLNR. All were deleted without opening or clicking on the links.

I suspect there was a data breech. Apple’s password process on my iPad indicated that weeks ago but I hadn’t changed the password yet. That’s been done and 2FA enabled.

Are there any other accusations you’d like to throw my way?
Nope, that's it. If you didn't log in on a phishing site, you most likely are the first person this has happened too. Good luck in the future.
Maybe a moderator, can throw some light on the situation? Because if this is "just" happening, TRF has a big issue.
Old 8 February 2022, 03:25 AM   #16
K7Baixo2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Nope, that's it. If you didn't log in on a phishing site, you most likely are the first person this has happened too. Good luck in the future.
Maybe a moderator, can throw some light on the situation? Because if this is "just" happening, TRF has a big issue.
Thanks. IIRC, my username and password appeared as part of a data breech. Getting any site to admit there was such an event is difficult for good reason. I’m sure they could, if they wanted to, check the logs and confirm I hadn’t access my PMs prior to today for months. Running a site like this is time-consuming and difficult so I understand why banning someone is easier than trying to investigate and mitigate the impact to any one particular user, like me.

Enjoy your day!
Old 8 February 2022, 03:38 AM   #17
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Thanks. IIRC, my username and password appeared as part of a data breech. Getting any site to admit there was such an event is difficult for good reason. I’m sure they could, if they wanted to, check the logs and confirm I hadn’t access my PMs prior to today for months. Running a site like this is time-consuming and difficult so I understand why banning someone is easier than trying to investigate and mitigate the impact to any one particular user, like me.

Enjoy your day!
Sorry if I offended you. My first response was not the best. Many come on here and swear they never logged in elsewhere and it's usually disproven. Sorry about your data breach, hope it doesn't compromise anything else for you.
Old 13 February 2022, 06:47 PM   #18
m92110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Phishing
m92110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scammer , tkyimk