The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2024, 01:21 PM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

Take the hit or hang on?

It’s been awhile since I posted about my impulse buy of a 2023 DJ 41 from an AD. It’s a nice watch, but I’ve not bonded with it nor do I wear it often. It largely sits unused in the case.

The resale market is weak, but I can sell it for about a 20% loss to a local dealer, much of it related to the high sales tax where I live. Excluding the sales tax his offer is 13% below retail. I’d rather not take the loss, but frankly the hit isn’t significant. The bigger issue is the lack of use, and my feeling that not using the watch makes little sense.

I’ve placed it for sale locally, but realistically it will be challenging to move it. Even if I do, the difference may amount to $1k or so compared to the dealer offer. Again, it’s not the financial decision that has me holding on, it’s more a question of wearing it, finding I still don’t use it as much as I thought I would, and finding that the extra wear makes it even harder to sell. The dealer is a friend, suggesting that I keep it, noting that markets change and it really is a nice watch.

My son has Rolex and Omega watches I’ve handed down. My young grandsons are all under 10, and watch inheritance isn’t much of an issue. How would you suggest I consider my option? Have any of you had a similar situation, and how what did you do?
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 01:24 PM   #2
ATLSFO
"TRF" Member

Get rid of it - you''re not in love with it. Once it's gone, you'll never look back with regret.
ATLSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 01:24 PM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you trade for something you want
Otherwise take the money and take your family on a nice trip or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 01:30 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

For 1k difference, I wouldn’t bother trying to do a private sale. Too much effort/risk, IMHO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 02:06 PM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Dump it

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 02:55 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
For 1k difference, I wouldn’t bother trying to do a private sale. Too much effort/risk, IMHO.
Exactly this point. Take the money and run
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:30 PM   #7
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I understand what you’re saying that wearing it may make it more difficult to sell. It will always sell as I doubt you will do too much damage to it.

You will maybe get a little less for it but like you say you’re not too fussed about taking a financial hit. I would suggest wearing it as often as possible for a month or so to see how you feel. You will know for definite how you feel after an extended period of use.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:42 PM   #8
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would dump it.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:50 PM   #9
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Move it along and get something you really love and will wear more.

911cz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 05:16 PM   #10
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
If your eyeing something else, make the move. If you’re simply irate that it’s in your box doing nothing, take your time and maybe something will eventually come along that you are interested in. Selling it to just move it like your dealer friend said, just sit on it for a while. Things could change

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 05:17 PM   #11
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Yes. Move it. But cut out the middle man.
Old 12 August 2024, 05:57 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
It’s been awhile since I posted about my impulse buy of a 2023 DJ 41 from an AD. It’s a nice watch, but I’ve not bonded with it nor do I wear it often. It largely sits unused in the case.

The resale market is weak, but I can sell it for about a 20% loss to a local dealer, much of it related to the high sales tax where I live. Excluding the sales tax his offer is 13% below retail. I’d rather not take the loss, but frankly the hit isn’t significant. The bigger issue is the lack of use, and my feeling that not using the watch makes little sense.

I’ve placed it for sale locally, but realistically it will be challenging to move it. Even if I do, the difference may amount to $1k or so compared to the dealer offer. Again, it’s not the financial decision that has me holding on, it’s more a question of wearing it, finding I still don’t use it as much as I thought I would, and finding that the extra wear makes it even harder to sell. The dealer is a friend, suggesting that I keep it, noting that markets change and it really is a nice watch.

My son has Rolex and Omega watches I’ve handed down. My young grandsons are all under 10, and watch inheritance isn’t much of an issue. How would you suggest I consider my option? Have any of you had a similar situation, and how what did you do?
Just cannot understand why anyone would buy any watch even on impulse if they did not really want to own and wear that watch. You paid the price of impulse buying, so just sell it and next time buy a watch you really want to own and wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 06:08 PM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't like it don't keep it. If I had that kind of money to sling at an impulse buy the potential loss would be of no consequence to me.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 06:24 PM   #14
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP, you learned a lesson, not to buy on impulse. A $1k hit is not the end of the world. Sell it and buy what you want.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 08:10 PM   #15
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sell it and move on.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 09:00 PM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’d sell it to your dealer friend, sounds hassle free
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 09:48 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would find a watch that I wanted and would wear and do a trade. You would get rid of a watch you do not want and do not wear and replace it with something that you like and would wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 10:06 PM   #18
jackminny15

Watch: Always changin'
Agree with everyone here: sell it and move on.
126613LB Submariner "Bluesy" | 126610LN Submariner Date | 126610LV Submariner "Cermit" | 126500LN Daytona "Panda" | 126334 Datejust 41 Blue fluted | Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Green | Omega Aqua Terra "Summer Blue" | Omega Aqua Terra Silver
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Why don’t you trade for something you want
Otherwise take the money and take your family on a nice trip or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would find a watch that I wanted and would wear and do a trade. You would get rid of a watch you do not want and do not wear and replace it with something that you like and would wear.
I'm with these guys.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 11:43 PM   #20
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

If you do not like the watch then sell it, no point in looking at a watch in the box that doesn't create a desire to be worn.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 12:07 AM   #21
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im kind of in the same boat with a Rolex I bought......don't wear it, an impulse buy....private sale being an older female .....even though I was in the NAVY and this being Texas and I'm a packing momma.....not worth it. I'm trying to work a trade with my dealer in The Woodlands for 37mm YM
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 12:10 AM   #22
JenaG
"TRF" Member

Take the hit!
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 12:29 AM   #23
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

if you don't love it and you're not wearing it then sell it. DJ is just gonna lose more value over time anyway
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 02:26 AM   #24
lencap
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Act in haste is apropos in this situation. I actually give it a lot of thought when I bought it, and still think it's a great looking, practical everyday watch. I expected to keep it. The issue is that my case sizes are 36/39 (DJ/BB58) and the larger size case didn't work as well as I had hoped, and I already had several watches. The DJ41 got less and less wrist time.

My 1981 (original owner - Rolex serviced regularly) DJ TT Jubilee/Fluted/Black Dial works for more dress oriented tasks along with a heavy dose of nostalgia. The BB58 is a very comfortable every day alternative, especially with the Uncle Mike added half link, and covers the daily use role well. My iWatch fills in when I exercise, and my Timex Q GMT (38mm) "Pepsi lookalike" does everything else.

I thought about keeping the 41DJ and selling the BB58, but as much as I love a pure white stick dial, my cataracts see the contrast of the BB58 dial very easily and make it very easy to read in any condition. The smaller BB58 size works well in hot humid summer weather, and I also have the Tudor fabric strap as a backup look.

I've sold the DJ41 to a friend, and hope he enjoys it. And I also get to look at it from time to time.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:05 AM   #25
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If you don't like it don't keep it. If I had that kind of money to sling at an impulse buy the potential loss would be of no consequence to me.
Excellent thought.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:16 AM   #26
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:21 AM   #27
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
I agree. And 13% is very good. I don’t think you can factor in sales tax unless you’re talking about a very hard to get model.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:23 AM   #28
johnliley

Trade and cash. Still hurts not as much though.

JL
Old 13 August 2024, 03:28 AM   #29
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
move it with as little risk as possible and never look back
rockmastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:56 AM   #30
mpkRolex

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Act in haste is apropos in this situation. I actually give it a lot of thought when I bought it, and still think it's a great looking, practical everyday watch. I expected to keep it. The issue is that my case sizes are 36/39 (DJ/BB58) and the larger size case didn't work as well as I had hoped, and I already had several watches. The DJ41 got less and less wrist time.

My 1981 (original owner - Rolex serviced regularly) DJ TT Jubilee/Fluted/Black Dial works for more dress oriented tasks along with a heavy dose of nostalgia. The BB58 is a very comfortable every day alternative, especially with the Uncle Mike added half link, and covers the daily use role well. My iWatch fills in when I exercise, and my Timex Q GMT (38mm) "Pepsi lookalike" does everything else.

I thought about keeping the 41DJ and selling the BB58, but as much as I love a pure white stick dial, my cataracts see the contrast of the BB58 dial very easily and make it very easy to read in any condition. The smaller BB58 size works well in hot humid summer weather, and I also have the Tudor fabric strap as a backup look.

I've sold the DJ41 to a friend, and hope he enjoys it. And I also get to look at it from time to time.

I had this DJ41 and went through the exact same situation after the honeymoon period was over. It didn’t stand a chance with my Pepsi and Starbucks for the wrist time. Sold it with a hit. Just thought of sharing

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote