The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2024, 02:41 PM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Has the CODE been slept on long enough by enthusiasts?

I am amazed how much the CODEs are being slept on from the enthusiast community. The watch is too complex for mainstream appeal at this time, and that's OK, it's really not for them. From an enthusiasts perspective the CODE is a masterclass in design that innovates on every front.

For almost all of horological history watch design is concerned with the planar 2D perspective of the watch. The CODE is a 4D design requiring a dynamic view of the watch from sweeping angles to really appreciate. The case is finished to an amazingly high level, especially in references that incorporate ceramic elements. The mix of finishing techniques across multiple materials and angles is just breathtaking. It's truly an inversion of the Royal Oak's design language. While the Royal Oak leads with brutal design elements that melt into elegance, the CODE takes the opposite approach leading with a simple elegant framework that unravels to aggressive industrial design.

In short the code is a chaotic symphony that requires nuance to understand and nuance takes time. I hope more enthusiasts take the time to learn and experience a CODE because it really is one great watch.

P.S. I bought my code AFTER being allocated a royal oak ;)
Old 22 June 2024, 05:18 PM   #2
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

I do agree. It’s a case you do enjoy wearing and seeing in different positions. And it’s is super confortable.
The perfect dayli IMO. You enjoy the finitions without being afraid to scratch sensitive parts !
Some dials still need improvement but it’s getting there :-)
I really like the look of their « mesh » bracelet !
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 05:41 PM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

People always say photos don't do a watch justice, or you have to see the watch in person to appreciate it etc... I don't always find this to be true but the CODE is one of the few watches where my wife and I both said "Wow this looks so much better in person." I think the case design is probably my favourite part of the watch.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 06:15 PM   #4
Audevache
"TRF" Member

The Code has suffered from 3 things:

- suboptimal dial designs in the first 4 years
- being launched just before the COVID watch craze combined with the AP commercial policy of buy a Code first before you even think of getting the RO
- design nuances that are not easily “instagramable”

I bought the very first blue steel Chrono my AP House received and it is (to me) one of the most attractive Chronograph watches out there.

But I think it will take many more years for the watch community to get over the 3 points above.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:57 PM   #5
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I am amazed how much the CODEs are being slept on from the enthusiast community. The watch is too complex for mainstream appeal at this time, and that's OK, it's really not for them. From an enthusiasts perspective the CODE is a masterclass in design that innovates on every front.

For almost all of horological history watch design is concerned with the planar 2D perspective of the watch. The CODE is a 4D design requiring a dynamic view of the watch from sweeping angles to really appreciate. The case is finished to an amazingly high level, especially in references that incorporate ceramic elements. The mix of finishing techniques across multiple materials and angles is just breathtaking. It's truly an inversion of the Royal Oak's design language. While the Royal Oak leads with brutal design elements that melt into elegance, the CODE takes the opposite approach leading with a simple elegant framework that unravels to aggressive industrial design.

In short the code is a chaotic symphony that requires nuance to understand and nuance takes time. I hope more enthusiasts take the time to learn and experience a CODE because it really is one great watch.

Octagon Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 08:08 PM   #6
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
The Code has suffered from 3 things:

- suboptimal dial designs in the first 4 years
- being launched just before the COVID watch craze combined with the AP commercial policy of buy a Code first before you even think of getting the RO
- design nuances that are not easily “instagramable”

I bought the very first blue steel Chrono my AP House received and it is (to me) one of the most attractive Chronograph watches out there.

But I think it will take many more years for the watch community to get over the 3 points above.
There’s another very important dimension in this current age…the fact that all the usual influential singers and actors have not spoken (?or even bought/worn) Code pieces. I don’t think, and certainly hope, that these influences don’t matter to discriminating/seasoned collectors, but it could have impacted general buyers at large, and even speculators. If AP was smart, and if J Mayer was up for a real challenge, they would have collaborated on a limited edition Code. I’d love to see that release.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 07:42 AM   #7
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
I absolutely love my Code 1159 QP. The rose gold case with blue aventurine dial really pops. It’s a totally different experience on the wrist and in the flesh.
Narbeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:02 AM   #8
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
There’s another very important dimension in this current age…the fact that all the usual influential singers and actors have not spoken (?or even bought/worn) Code pieces. I don’t think, and certainly hope, that these influences don’t matter to discriminating/seasoned collectors, but it could have impacted general buyers at large, and even speculators. If AP was smart, and if J Mayer was up for a real challenge, they would have collaborated on a limited edition Code. I’d love to see that release.
AP Certainly goes out of its way to ensure you see the most famous people on earth in their Royal Oaks, surely they could get them to wear Codes at least for a bit...it seems like it would be really easy to do from a marketing standpoint.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:12 AM   #9
APhound
"TRF" Member

Code fan. Own one. Bought after my royal oaks yada yada yada.
This thread is going to turn south fast!!
Longest run though so far without the bs and hate so maybe things are looking better
“This guy I know, well I read it in some comments, was forced into buying a code and still hasn’t gotten his ceramic openwork! The worst part is this was during Covid when watches only went up in value and now it’s worth less than retail! The guy was making $80k a year and going through a divorce and it’s just been a disaster ever since he got the code. AP shouldn’t sell watches that don’t go up in value. His wife’s new boyfriend has the code now and he loves it but that’s besides the point.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:32 AM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The original release was rightfully a laughing stock, but it has redeemed itself big time!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:44 AM   #11
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is this written by chatgpt?
Old 23 June 2024, 12:46 PM   #12
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Is this written by chatgpt?
chatGPT can't even wear a code
Old 23 June 2024, 12:51 PM   #13
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A 4D design requiring "sweeping angles?...? It's a watch not the Pietá...

'll have what you're having please... Make it a double!
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 01:16 PM   #14
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
A 4D design requiring "sweeping angles?...? It's a watch not the Pietá...

'll have what you're having please... Make it a double!
Well of course, the Pietá doesn't even have flying buttresses or an in house movement.
Old 24 June 2024, 07:55 AM   #15
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
They have and continue to do so. It’s an incredible design that will get its day.
911cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:29 AM   #16
chaucer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
AP Certainly goes out of its way to ensure you see the most famous people on earth in their Royal Oaks, surely they could get them to wear Codes at least for a bit...it seems like it would be really easy to do from a marketing standpoint.
Very underrated comment. Slap one on Kevin hart, piece unique for Tom Brady and John Mayer, and boom. “Problem” (if it is one in AP’s eyes) solved
chaucer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:18 AM   #17
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
Exactly, that’s why I sometimes wonder if they did try pitching a Code to TS or JM but received a resounding “Hell NO!”

As an owner of two Codes, I am [partially] kidding, but it does look like a missed opportunity by AP.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:18 PM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
Very underrated comment. Slap one on Kevin hart, piece unique for Tom Brady and John Mayer, and boom. “Problem” (if it is one in AP’s eyes) solved
Best AP piece unique, IMO (from chronopeace on IG):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chronopeace.jpg (178.8 KB, 508 views)
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:53 AM   #19
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Exactly, that’s why I sometimes wonder if they did try pitching a Code to TS or JM but received a resounding “Hell NO!”

As an owner of two Codes, I am [partially] kidding, but it does look like a missed opportunity by AP.
The issue with the Code is likely that it would not get noticed as much courtside, or on the red carpet, etc. because it is round (like almost every Rolex and most PP).
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:25 AM   #20
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Code as a new entrant into the horological landscape has to compete on its own merits, not simply rely on history... there, it is lacking vs what is available particularly at its price point...for example, would u really characterize Code as 4d vs Urwerk? how about innovation vs FPJ? or case finishing vs Lange? as a standalone watch, it offers very little new vs competition. There is no identity one could associate with CODE.. like when does Code ever come to mind other than when it is time to beg for 16202?
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:43 AM   #21
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Code as a new entrant into the horological landscape has to compete on its own merits, not simply rely on history... there, it is lacking vs what is available particularly at its price point...for example, would u really characterize Code as 4d vs Urwerk? how about innovation vs FPJ? or case finishing vs Lange? as a standalone watch, it offers very little new vs competition. There is no identity one could associate with CODE.. like when does Code ever come to mind other than when it is time to beg for 16202?
Code case finishing is on par with Lange, movement obviously is not. If you think RO is hard to get...try to get a blue dial FPJ.
Old 25 June 2024, 02:55 AM   #22
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Code case finishing is on par with Lange, movement obviously is not. If you think RO is hard to get...try to get a blue dial FPJ.
any FPJ is impossible to get, that is not the point.. the point is that there is no category that CODE stands out in... there is no aspect of watchmaking where one would say code is best in class.. so why should it be popular?
Old 25 June 2024, 03:54 AM   #23
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got allocation for 16202 and 15407 but some Code like Starwheel, Tourbillon Chrono are always in my wishlist to get. Many of collectors agree without bias that RD#4 could deliver many complications in wearable size.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:13 AM   #24
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
any FPJ is impossible to get, that is not the point.. the point is that there is no category that CODE stands out in... there is no aspect of watchmaking where one would say code is best in class.. so why should it be popular?

CODE troll is back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:16 AM   #25
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What categories does the Rolex GMT stand out in?
Old 25 June 2024, 04:31 AM   #26
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
They probably haven't taken off because the dial designs haven't been great, IMO. The only CODEs that I like are the 11.59 QP and Starwheel. They both have interesting designs. If the Chrono code was more like a PP 5170 with Breguet numerals or like the Breitling Premier dials, I think the line would be more popular.

AP has a history of fantastic classic dial designs in the past before the Royal Oak. They should release more of that.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:45 AM   #27
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What categories does the Rolex GMT stand out in?
History and recognition unparalleled in the world save for one or two references at $11k price point….
Old 25 June 2024, 04:54 AM   #28
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
History and recognition unparalleled in the world save for one or two references at $11k price point….
It is a sub with an extra hand and different numbers on the bezel. If it wasn't for the split color version...you could line up 30 people wearing subs and GMTs and from the across the room you would have no idea which watch was a sub and which was a GMT.

Similar to lining up 30 people with dive watches and from across the room you could tell which watches were AP Divers, which were JLC dual crowns and then the rest.

The point being...a watch can be a great watch without breaking new ground and saying the CODE would be more popular if it had a dial that looked like other watches...is one view I guess.
Old 25 June 2024, 05:17 AM   #29
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
Quote:
It is a sub with an extra hand and different numbers on the bezel. If it wasn't for the split color version...you could line up 30 people wearing subs and GMTs and from the across the room you would have no idea which watch was a sub and which was a GMT.

Similar to lining up 30 people with dive watches and from across the room you could tell which watches were AP Divers, which were JLC dual crowns and then the rest.

The point being...a watch can be a great watch without breaking new ground and saying the CODE would be more popular if it had a dial that looked like other watches...is one view I guess.
For most people, the first dive watch that comes to mind is the Rolex Sub and the first GMT/dual time watch that comes to mind is the Rolex GMT, even if it may be hard to tell the two apart. Probably the same with annual calendars and Patek Philippe, even if it may be hard just by looking at a dial to tell if it is a complete vs annual vs perpetual vs secular/eternal calendar.

A lot of people say they want something new and then just spring for another Rolex in an Oyster case.
Bpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:39 AM   #30
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMethod View Post
They probably haven't taken off because the dial designs haven't been great, IMO. The only CODEs that I like are the 11.59 QP and Starwheel. They both have interesting designs. If the Chrono code was more like a PP 5170 with Breguet numerals or like the Breitling Premier dials, I think the line would be more popular.

AP has a history of fantastic classic dial designs in the past before the Royal Oak. They should release more of that.
CODEs might not have the best dial (but personally I find their lacquered dial nice but guess it's all individual) but their focus is always on the case workmanship which I find lacking in other brands. Unfortunately, this aspect can only be appreciated in the flesh.
Octagon Guy is online now   Reply With Quote