The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
aawong
"TRF" Member

Swiss dial markings

Just wondering a have a A series sub that says Swiss only. Do later model A series say Swiss or swiss made. Also what other dials say swiss only? And are these rare do they have any extra value?

As i understand dials went from t swiss t, t swiss <25, swiss, swiss made. This is from tritrum to luminova to super luminova (sorry if i am not spelling correctly). So as far as i know only early A series watches had swiss and relacement dials. So i would have to say that the swiss only dials was the shortest run of them all not considering replacement dials.
aawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 06:52 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawong View Post
Just wondering a have a A series sub that says Swiss only. Do later model A series say Swiss or swiss made. Also what other dials say swiss only? And are these rare do they have any extra value?

As i understand dials went from t swiss t, t swiss <25, swiss, swiss made. This is from tritrum to luminova to super luminova (sorry if i am not spelling correctly). So as far as i know only early A series watches had swiss and relacement dials. So i would have to say that the swiss only dials was the shortest run of them all not considering replacement dials.
You are right about the order of transgression. The ones with SWISS only were very few and short lived. An A-series would be about right with the SWISS ony marking.

After that all models came out with the SWISS MADE on them and are now current.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:30 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You are correct. As tritium was dropped from use on dials (circa 1998 or so) Rolex for a brief period of time used luminova on certain dials. These dials bore the marking "SWISS" only. Done for only a couple of years and, as I understand responding to some complaints of poor lume, Rolex switched to the use of superluminova marking those dials "SWISS MADE".

Interestingly current replacement dials from Rolex are marked "SWISS" even though they use superluminova.

Current lumi dial,
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:36 AM   #4
aawong
"TRF" Member

To answer my own question. Seems like they were only made in 1998-2000. Does anyone know if this is for all models?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 15 February 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
aawong
"TRF" Member

Wierd both swiss and swiss made are both super luminova? is this correct?
Old 15 February 2007, 08:00 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wierd both swiss and swiss made are both super luminova? is this correct?
SWISS MADE is a superluminova dial as is any replacement saying SWISS

There are those that say dials made between circa 1998 and 2000 that say SWISS are luminova.

You may well see dials that say SWISS T<25 yet these also are luminova. These dials, known as "transitionals" were used circa 1998-2003 till stocks were used up.
The best reasoning I've heard is the Rolex got the dials prior to the banning of tritium and simply used them with luminova applied at Rolex.
Old 15 February 2007, 09:06 AM   #7
nottinghill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 & 116660
Can I check with you guys about the tritium markings. My 16613 has the "SWISS T<25" markings as it's an E series.
Do you think it's advisable for me to change the dial to a "Swiss Made" dial? Or shall I leave it?

For your advise, please.
Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)
nottinghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 09:48 AM   #8
ducksaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Is that a superluminova w/o wg outlines, or does it just appear that way??
ducksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 09:52 AM   #9
ducksaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a new dial w/o white gold outlines for a 16610 so that it would appear as a 1680, but actually glow? I have always been curious about that...I love the look of the 1680, but my 16610 is my daily driver and I like the fact that it glows and hAS the improved bracelet. I also love the dome crystal on the 1680...Am I the only one?
ducksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 10:02 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksaw View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a new dial w/o white gold outlines for a 16610 so that it would appear as a 1680, but actually glow? I have always been curious about that...I love the look of the 1680, but my 16610 is my daily driver and I like the fact that it glows and hAS the improved bracelet. I also love the dome crystal on the 1680...Am I the only one?
I try to answer both questions in one post.

1. Yes that is indeed a superluminova dial without WG surrounds (matt dial also). The 1680 was never made with a gloss WG dial. Replacements on the 1680 (for that matter 1675, 5512, 1665) will not have WG surrounds.

2. Sadly no. The 16610 has always been issued with a WG gloss dial. Rolex will only use a dial correct for the reference. This would also include ANY watch who at one time was made with a WG gloss dial....5513, 16750, 16800, etc.... The fact that those references were sold or changed over to gloss WG dials means that Rolex will replace with the MOST CURRENT DIAL---sucks!
Old 15 February 2007, 10:20 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottinghill View Post
Can I check with you guys about the tritium markings. My 16613 has the "SWISS T<25" markings as it's an E series.
Do you think it's advisable for me to change the dial to a "Swiss Made" dial? Or shall I leave it?

For your advise, please.
The collector in me says don't do it....assuming the dial is in good shape.
They don't make tritium dials anymore and I'd be reluctant to jeapordise any future collectability.
Since you're not in the U.S. and subject to RUSA crazy policies,if you really wanted a glowing dial on your 16613, I'd see about having a new dial and hands installed and KEEPING the old set to bring it back if need be.
Old 15 February 2007, 11:27 AM   #12
nottinghill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 & 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
The collector in me says don't do it....assuming the dial is in good shape.
They don't make tritium dials anymore and I'd be reluctant to jeapordise any future collectability.
Since you're not in the U.S. and subject to RUSA crazy policies,if you really wanted a glowing dial on your 16613, I'd see about having a new dial and hands installed and KEEPING the old set to bring it back if need be.
Hi mike, thanks for the note. Actually the dial is still in good shape, just that the bezel was changed. So when it 'luminate', I can only see a greenish dot on the bezel. So it kinda frustrates me, hence the above question.

Anyway, should i want to change the dial, I will insist that they give me back my tritium dial....else no go....

Thanks mike....
Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)
nottinghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Well My Date Says " Swiss " ( without the speech / quotation marks )
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 08:18 AM   #14
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
one of my keepers is a swiss-t<25 GMT Master II that I've decided to have relumed.

Since it's not going to leave my collection in my lifetime, I'll have the work done and just enjoy being able to see it better in the dark.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote