The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 May 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Ebay Feedback

Well boys, and girls, it finally happened, as it was definately over due. Ebay changed its feedback policy to allow ONLY the buyers to leave feedback. The sellers can no longer slam the buyer for leaving truthful, negative feedback.

The sellers that always "got my goat" were the ones who told you (the buyer) that they would leave you positive feedback after you gave them feedback. Give me a break. I spent my hard-earned money with them and they wanted me to thank them for the PRIVILEGE of buying from them.
How stupid do they think the buyers are???

Now I know there are plenty of ebay sellers on this forum, I've been a seller myself, but the sellers pretty much had it their way when it came to feedback. I know, I know there are some deadbeat, problematic, fussy, whining buyers out there, but let's be honest here - if the buyer has a problem, send him his money back and don't sell to him again. It's hard to misrepresent money (your payment as a buyer) and much easier for the seller to misrepresent an auction item.

Unlock the gates and let the cows out, I feel a herd of responses coming my way. cheers

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 01:24 PM   #2
MrClean

Watch: tudor 7928
i agree wholeheartedly -

the only negative i received was from an electronics scammer that slammed me after i posted negative on him (goods described as new, specific new not reconditioned, etc, and what came in was used junk)

in fact, in my listings i described that i posted feedback on my buyers when they paid, not after they posted on my performance

it seemed odd that ebay would allow a seller to hold a buyer's feedback hostage till the buyer posted
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 01:26 PM   #3
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

As a frequent seller, the new feedback changes blow (to put it nicely). It's already risky enough selling with Paypal transactions.
Old 20 May 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Even the good sellers have issues. I recently purchased a band piece from Astrolive, where I've purchased before, and I specifically asked him if it had the diver's extension and he replied that it did - so I bid it and won. Now, I get the item and it is missing the piece I asked him about. he knew it wasn't there, but hoped I wouldn't notice or forgot about it or maybe he just made a mistake. He offered to refund my money plus shipping after all the inconvience to me. I asked him all the proper questions before I purchased so I wouldn't have any surprises. Well, I got a surprise anyway. This seems to be the norm lately, as I've had it happen three times the past six weeks. Honesty and integrity should never be used in the same sentence by some people.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 20 May 2008, 01:44 PM   #5
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Even the good sellers have issues. I recently purchased a band piece from Astrolive, where I've purchased before, and I specifically asked him if it had the diver's extension and he replied that it did - so I bid it and won. Now, I get the item and it is missing the piece I asked him about. he knew it wasn't there, but hoped I wouldn't notice or forgot about it or maybe he just made a mistake. He offered to refund my money plus shipping after all the inconvience to me. I asked him all the proper questions before I purchased so I wouldn't have any surprises. Well, I got a surprise anyway. This seems to be the norm lately, as I've had it happen three times the past six weeks. Honesty and integrity should never be used in the same sentence by some people.
Something similar happened to me w/ an ad I bought. I specifically asked if the (vintage) ad had the date on it. Buyer said it was on the file folder in which it was kept, as they recorded it on all ads they clipped. Ad arrived: No file folder, no reference to a date.

On the other hand, as a (former) Seller, I have to wonder how Snipers w/ zero Feedbacks will be handled.
Old 20 May 2008, 02:05 PM   #6
MrClean

Watch: tudor 7928
Quote:
or he was more likely figuring you'd keep the purchase even after you noticed it didn't have it - he played the odds - most of them do. Kind of short sighted logic but that's the norm in the "evilbay" world
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 02:19 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

delldeaton,

Sniping is another hot topic on ebay. It needs to be handled like most auctions. If you snipe during a predetermined amount of time (say the last two minutes), the auction continues for another 15 minutes. There are many different rules that could be put in to place to discourage sniping and it could be debated forever. Sniping is not good for the seller, as it doesn't give the high bidder the opportunity to increase their bid which means more money for the seller. The introduction of sniping services on ebay was a travesty.

Old 20 May 2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Leighton
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc
That's too bad to hear the day of non-regulated feedback on ebay is over. Time to sell some stock!
Old 20 May 2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Chris B
"TRF" Member

A buyer fulfills their part of the bargain once they pay up, so the selling waiting to see if the buyer has been nice before they leave any feedback is odd.

Although I suppose a seller should be allowed to comment if they'd been messed around with the payment
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
el-piloto
"TRF" Member

Hi there!

Just to add my 2c here... Apart from buying, I've been selling at the Bay from
time to time, and so far everything went fine, though it has been a long time
ago (long before even the not so recent changes of its policies...).

To put it mildly: I've stopped using ppal when selling, and now I'm really
thinking of not returning to the Bay as a seller at all... The two last changes
of their policies, their pricing and now the new feedback rules... that all does
it for me...

They sure must have a bullet-proof business plan that backs all these actions,
but to me it looks like plain old

Oh well... since they supposedly know what they're doing... well, in
the end, so do we!
Many good friends of mine that are/were also selling at the Bay have now
either stopped or are at least considering to stop...

B/R

Petros
Old 20 May 2008, 04:29 PM   #11
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Thanks for the heads up!

I am often browsing eBay, but haven't sold or bought anything for a while, though. I was a PowerSeller for a period since I sold a large batch of smoking pipes that I had found on a flea market. Some of the buyers were really giving me a hard time with slow payment etc. Luckily, I still have 100 % positive feedback (140 deals).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 11:46 PM   #12
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
That's too bad to hear the day of non-regulated feedback on ebay is over. Time to sell some stock!
I thought the same thing!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 12:02 AM   #13
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sellers that always "got my goat" were the ones who told you (the buyer) that they would leave you positive feedback after you gave them feedback.

I know, I know there are some deadbeat, problematic, fussy, whining buyers out there, but let's be honest here - if the buyer has a problem, send him his money back and don't sell to him again.
I have sold 500+ items on ebay and I NEVER left FB until it was left for me first..(no offense) but too bad. I refuse to be held hostage by the buyer over something that was clearly spelled out in the auction like shipping charges, shipping times, shipping methods or no Pay Pal. And there are WAY more than "some" deadbeats and whiners on there...at least 10% in my experience. And people like these more than deserve a negative for not paying. And holding the negative over their head was a way to get the deadbeats to pay up....now that's gone.

Quote:
delldeaton,

Sniping is another hot topic on ebay. It needs to be handled like most auctions. If you snipe during a predetermined amount of time (say the last two minutes), the auction continues for another 15 minutes.

Yup...this is another hot topic. An online auction isnt a live auction where it runs until there is one man standing. 7 days is 7 days and a bid in the beginning is no different than a bid at the end. Simple stuff but there are folks who will never accept that. I use eSnipe...excellent service

IMO, ebay is shooting itself in the foot with this. I've sold off most of my ebay stock and certainly won't be buying anymore. I'm also glad that after almost 10 years on ebay, I'm done selling stuff....I sold it all to buy the LV
Old 21 May 2008, 12:34 AM   #14
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
When I first started on e-bay years ago, this power seller shipped me the wrong item. I e-mailed them over and over and no response. It wasn't until I left them a negative feedback before they rectify the problem. Of course they left me a negative feedback saying that I was difficult to deal with. That has been my only negative feedback.

I have sold many things over the years and I do tell people that I will leave them feedback after they leave me one. The reason behind this is because I would leave buyer positive feedback and they would never leave me anything.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 12:59 AM   #15
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I would like to see both parties able to leave what ever feedback they want BUT:

No one can see it until BOTH parties have left it.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 01:06 AM   #16
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
I would like to see both parties able to leave what ever feedback they want BUT:

No one can see it until BOTH parties have left it.
Good idea
Old 21 May 2008, 01:44 AM   #17
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
REF: FB changes

Quote:
Well boys, and girls, it finally happened, as it was definately over due. Ebay changed its feedback policy to allow ONLY the buyers to leave feedback. The sellers can no longer slam the buyer for leaving truthful, negative feedback.

The sellers that always "got my goat" were the ones who told you (the buyer) that they would leave you positive feedback after you gave them feedback. Give me a break. I spent my hard-earned money with them and they wanted me to thank them for the PRIVILEGE of buying from them.
How stupid do they think the buyers are???

Now I know there are plenty of ebay sellers on this forum, I've been a seller myself, but the sellers pretty much had it their way when it came to feedback. I know, I know there are some deadbeat, problematic, fussy, whining buyers out there, but let's be honest here - if the buyer has a problem, send him his money back and don't sell to him again. It's hard to misrepresent money (your payment as a buyer) and much easier for the seller to misrepresent an auction item.

Unlock the gates and let the cows out, I feel a herd of responses coming my way. cheers
Hi John....from TX.

I do agree to some degree with what you and others on the forum are saying.

However, in MY recent personal case, I had a buyer purchase a bracelet-all, 100% genuine 93150. If you are who I think you are (and have previously purchased a band from me), you know me and my integrity.

The buyer NEVER contacted me about anything!!! No discontentment at all....just left neutral feedback. Never emailed me, never messaged me, never asked for $ back. Just left neutral FB-same as posting a neg. If the band was supposedly fake, why not post NEG FB???? PERSONALLY, I feel the buyer was merely trying to blemish my FB (as it was 100%). He has now accomplished that for nearly a year, as under the new system, it counts AGAINST you the same as a neg.

I have always posted FB once an item is shipped. I do not beleive I will ever do that again unless it is a repeat buyer that knows me etc.

Sincerely, Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 01:51 AM   #18
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

The other way of looking at it is:

the more difficult and unwieldy eBay makes feedback the less useful and trustworthy it becomes; therefore, the less a negative matters.
Old 21 May 2008, 04:34 AM   #19
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

This FB policy change will go down as the worst decision they ever made.
Looks like Meg Whitman is bailing too:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080519/ebay_...ions.html?.v=1
Old 21 May 2008, 04:41 AM   #20
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
This FB policy change will go down as the worst decision they ever made.
Looks like Meg Whitman is bailing too:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080519/ebay_...ions.html?.v=1
I'll give her a negative feedback for that one.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:18 AM   #21
dopeymuppet
"TRF" Member

To be honest I'm not sure I like this. It essentially means that bad buyers and those who don't pay can't be chastised for it. The buyer could leave negative feedback with no grounds for doing so and the seller is powerless to answer.....seems a bit unfair!
dopeymuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 09:39 AM   #22
springer
2024 Pledge Member

So coopjr, what are you out if the guy doesn't pay - not a thing because you didn't ship when he didn't pay.

Now, what is the buyer out after paying...when the item is not as described, never received, damaged etc etc. A big inconvience and the hassle of filing claims, negotiatiang with ebay, paypal, the buyer etc.

I bought a $900 tour pak for my Harley that arrived damaged. Took me three months to get my money back and the filing hassles and my time wasted was very inconvienent.

The buyer should have the upper edge, hell, he is the customer. Take care of him. You might of been a great seller, but there are more and more problems arising from poor sellers on ebay.

Old 21 May 2008, 07:20 PM   #23
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Quote:
So coopjr, what are you out if the guy doesn't pay - not a thing because you didn't ship when he didn't pay.

Now, what is the buyer out after paying...when the item is not as described, never received, damaged etc etc. A big inconvience and the hassle of filing claims, negotiatiang with ebay, paypal, the buyer etc.

I bought a $900 tour pak for my Harley that arrived damaged. Took me three months to get my money back and the filing hassles and my time wasted was very inconvienent.

The buyer should have the upper edge, hell, he is the customer. Take care of him. You might of been a great seller, but there are more and more problems arising from poor sellers on ebay.

are you kidding?"what are you out if they dont pay"???
I will tell you what your out of when someone ruins your auction by not paying.
time and money
I have had more than a few auctions ruined in that manor,then a week later when the item did actually sell often times it was not nearly as high as the original(most auctions depend on one or two key bidders,and they may not be present to bid during that auction run),also I sometimes broker items for other people and that is a real hassle,I have already contacted the individual and told them how much it sold for,then a week later I have to tell them that I have to re-list.what a pain in the ass!
sorry but I am venting,lol
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 11:00 PM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Try the private sector, business. Try and collect overdue bills after shipment when the vendor doesn't pay, now that hurts!!!!

Sorry for your bad experiences, ebay is not perfect. What you speak of might be the cost of doing business. Maybe I should have said there are as many jerk-off buyers as sellers, but I haven't sold much on ebay lately and my experiences have been more seller related.

I think if you read all my posts and put them in to perspective, you'll understand my aggravation. Still, the seller has the upper hand as the buyer is purchasing based on a few photos and a written description by the seller. I could write a page on three deals I did lately where the seller totally misrepresented and lied to me about what he sold me.

Steve, you might be out time, and the item might not sell as high next time, but it could sell for as much or more and you still have the merchandize and are able to sell it again. Obviously, you haven't been ripped-off by a seller or not often enough.

Old 21 May 2008, 11:02 PM   #25
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Dopey, I'm sure you've learned the greatest lesson in life by now, which is

LIFE IS NOT FAIR

Old 22 May 2008, 10:43 AM   #26
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
The ebay changes will be likely to affect sellers and also weed out sellers who are less than scrupulous with their dealings.
In addition, whilst it is supposed to give buyers a better deal, how does the ( now ) inflated feedback system work to help ? If you have had a negative in the past 12 months, that affects your total - can make a seller look bad, percentage wise.

Personally, I have had some poor experiences with buying the past 6 months or so, yet in the pervious eight years had only one deal go bad. Times have changed, ebay realises that people like myself have lost confidence in the system.
A bad deal is a bad deal, no matter how you look at it, plus dealing with Paypal. My experiences with Paypal and refunding money have been positive, but way too frequent over the past six months.
Now, if I can, I buy from a related forum the treasure I seek. Appears to be more honesty out here than ebay.
My 2 cents worth.

cheers
richard
rulessapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 01:35 PM   #27
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
my experience with a sale

I have bought and sold more than a few watches and parts on the bay.I had the wierdest experience last night.I sold a vintage Rolex precision 6426.I have many detailed pics and service records.I even emailed the buyer over 40 high resolution pics prior to him doing BIN.I spoke with him on the phone and overnighted his watch.The next day I get a very nasty email saying he took the watch to his trusted jeweler who knows everything about rolex and his jeweler told him its 100% fake.He says he wants a full refund asap and he called the postmaster general,ebay,paypal and wants his money back asap threatens negative feedback etc.I immediatly emailed him to call me asap.I asked him if he took the watch to an AD.I gave him the phone number to an ad near him.He went there today and they told him it was 100% authentic and a very nice 1 at that.Had i not been in front of my computer he would have left negative feedback and ruined my good reputation that i sold a fake.It amazes me that after seeing over 40 high resolution pics of the movement serial numbers service papers etc that someone would even do what he did.His jeweler knows enough about Rolex to be dangerous.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 01:59 PM   #28
springer
2024 Pledge Member

greekbum, that is a definate problem with jewelers. Unbelievable but a true story I'm sure. Some of the worst people to have verify vintage Rolex accessories is an authorized dealer, they know nothing about the vintage accessories, and minimal about vintage watches. Even the Rolex Service Centers have given out false or misleading info to customers. I've heard plenty of stories wouldn't believe.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you!!!

Old 22 May 2008, 07:38 PM   #29
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Quote:
Try the private sector, business. Try and collect overdue bills after shipment when the vendor doesn't pay, now that hurts!!!!

Sorry for your bad experiences, ebay is not perfect. What you speak of might be the cost of doing business. Maybe I should have said there are as many jerk-off buyers as sellers, but I haven't sold much on ebay lately and my experiences have been more seller related.

I think if you read all my posts and put them in to perspective, you'll understand my aggravation. Still, the seller has the upper hand as the buyer is purchasing based on a few photos and a written description by the seller. I could write a page on three deals I did lately where the seller totally misrepresented and lied to me about what he sold me.

Steve, you might be out time, and the item might not sell as high next time, but it could sell for as much or more and you still have the merchandize and are able to sell it again. Obviously, you haven't been ripped-off by a seller or not often enough.
thats true enough john,
I really dont buy much off of ebay-just sell.I just wanted you to know there are two sides to every coin.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote