The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2024, 11:22 PM   #1
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Incomingggg!!! (It's provocative)

I'll jump right into it.....Been working with a SA at an AD for the past few years, have purchased many Rolex pieces along with a few other watches that I fancy within a 5 year timespan. While travelling in Amsterdam earlier this year I stopped into a couple watch boutiques which I'm sure many of us do and immediately fell in love with a Santos Dumont Skeleton.

Rather than making an impulsive purchase I immediately contacted my SA about the said piece and he assured me that it was possible to purchase. Given my history with this AD I requested a 126500ln (white dial) with this purchase and to my surprise it was approved. Great!!!

Recently picked up both pieces and albeit beautiful I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed when looking at the Daytona especially when its beside the Santos Dumont.

Of course it's a beautiful piece. I can already hear the TRF boo birds, but i did mention that this would be provocative...

So my question stands.....Would the Daytona "Panda" be as heavily grailed in so many of our collections if it was readily accessible? Is it that as humans we want what we can't have? Or do we all believe that this watch is the creme de la creme of stainless steel timepieces (not just Rolex)

all opinions are welcome

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santos Dumont x Daytona.jpg (123.8 KB, 1958 views)
File Type: jpg Daytona Panda x Breathless.JPG (187.9 KB, 1948 views)
Old 3 July 2024, 11:47 PM   #2
G&TMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1A blue
Gorgeous watches, both of them.

I've had that conversation with other collectors in the past, and while I think the Panda Daytona is gorgeous, I do think the inaccessibility of it to most is what makes it as desirable as it is. We all want what we can't have as part of human nature, and none of us are immune to it. I purchased the 116500 Panda from my AD in 2020 or so, and I don't think I've worn it in the last two years as it became too often for strangers to approach me and start asking questions about who my AD is, etc. when all I've been trying to do is enjoy my time.
G&TMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:47 PM   #3
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
After wearing a TT DJ every day since the mid '80s when I got it, in 2016 I decided to consider getting a second watch. I fell for the white Daytona and "got on the list." I thought it was beautiful and didn't even know it was hard to get. Fast forward six months, and I got tired of the wait, even though it was "only" supposed to be another few months, I bought a slightly used platinum Daytona from DSW. Although I never looked back, and have worn that Daytona every day for the last 7 1/2 years (the DJ sits in a drawer now), I am pretty sure I would have been super happy with the white Daytona, which I still think is gorgeous. I don't think it has anything to do with how popular, polarizing or hard to get it is.

But that's just me. I've been on here for 8 years, and after getting the Daytona at the end of 2016, I haven't bought another watch. So I'm not the "typical" TRFer who walks out of an AD with a new Rolex and posts, "what should I get next?" lol.
Old 3 July 2024, 11:48 PM   #4
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

First of all, congratulations on your acquisition. I think you should feel proud and I do not want to detract from your recent purchase.

I’m sure I cannot purchase this reference (Daytona) at AD, but I also do not desire it either.
I think the Daytona is a fine reference and it’s very handsome, but it’s just not something I aspire to.
I enjoy Speedmaster, mostly pre-lunar 861 and 321 movements. That’s always been my first chrono fascination and I own several versions of them.

When I feel a buzz about something, I generally eschew it. Been that way my entire life.
IIRC, there was a Daytona-bro on TRF a couple weeks ago, who kept extolling the Daytona desirability vs the cheap Speedmaster. It was amusing (and baffling) and reminded me of Ford vs Chevy arguments I had when I was a kid.

Anyway, like I said, looks like a cracking watch.

Congratulations.

You did say all opinions welcome.
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 12:17 AM   #5
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is nice but its rarity is a huge part of its appeal. I personally don’t think if it was as available as a Datejust it would be as popular.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 12:24 AM   #6
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
The Daytona is nice but its rarity is a huge part of its appeal. I personally don’t think if it was as available as a Datejust it would be as popular.
Agreed! Interesting you say that because it seems that quite a few TRF members have received "The Call" for a 126500ln as of late. They're becoming much more commonly seen on the internet as well, which also takes away from the mystique

Old 4 July 2024, 12:28 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Congrats on both your new watches. To answer your question, I am not particularly a Daytona fan! I don’t get the hype! The PN is kind of neat, but I would rather have a hand wind Speedmaster with a hessalite crystal.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:05 AM   #8
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Dumont skeleton is a badass piece. Especially in the flesh. Congrats.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:33 AM   #9
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
congrats, both are good looking
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:31 AM   #10
horizo
"TRF" Member

Sweet Cartier
horizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:33 AM   #11
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Well Done - and enjoy ..l
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 03:39 AM   #12
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Nice! Congrats on both counts! No worries what anybody thinks of them but you. They are yours and you like them so it’s all that matters.
Old 4 July 2024, 03:58 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So my question stands.....Would the Daytona "Panda" be as heavily grailed in so many of our collections if it was readily accessible? Is it that as humans we want what we can't have? Or do we all believe that this watch is the creme de la creme of stainless steel timepieces (not just Rolex)

all opinions are welcome

The SS Daytona was hard to get and not in display cases for decades when every other model was in the case and at a discount. This was before hype or any artificial influences. Heck, this was pre internet. Rolex themself has always treated it very special.
Old 4 July 2024, 04:28 AM   #14
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

It's honestly a handsome watch. The fact that it's hard to obtain makes it more appealing of course.

Would the AP Royal Oak be as heavily grailed in so many of our collections if it was readily accessible?
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:10 AM   #15
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats on both pieces! That's a gorgeous Santos.
In answer to your question, I don't think the Daytona would have the superior popularity it has if it was as readily available as say a SS Sub or Exp 2 or as just a walk-in watch.
It IS great, phenomenal movement and still one of the best chronos produced but the hype does play a big role.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:13 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Major congrats

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:15 AM   #17
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
The Santos is gorgeous, no Romans! The Daytona is lovely… for a Daytona. They don’t sing to me.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:17 AM   #18
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Congratz
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 05:25 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Not fair to compare that Daytona to that WG Dumont with that awesome Demoiselle weight.
That Cartier is fire!!!
Congrats!
Old 4 July 2024, 05:36 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
After wearing a TT DJ every day since the mid '80s when I got it, in 2016 I decided to consider getting a second watch. I fell for the white Daytona and "got on the list." I thought it was beautiful and didn't even know it was hard to get. Fast forward six months, and I got tired of the wait, even though it was "only" supposed to be another few months, I bought a slightly used platinum Daytona from DSW. Although I never looked back, and have worn that Daytona every day for the last 7 1/2 years (the DJ sits in a drawer now), I am pretty sure I would have been super happy with the white Daytona, which I still think is gorgeous. I don't think it has anything to do with how popular, polarizing or hard to get it is.

But that's just me. I've been on here for 8 years, and after getting the Daytona at the end of 2016, I haven't bought another watch. So I'm not the "typical" TRFer who walks out of an AD with a new Rolex and posts, "what should I get next?" lol.
Refreshing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:05 AM   #21
BIGMAC142
"TRF" Member

I would say no. If not hyped it would be like an average SS Rolex model. I definitely respect those that love this watch for what it is and its looks. For me it’s just a good looking watch that I wouldn’t ever buy based on my desire for it. I’d be willing to bet 50% or more that own this watch wouldn’t have purchased it if not for the hype and aftermarket value.
BIGMAC142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:19 AM   #22
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Congrats on both pieces! That's a gorgeous Santos.
In answer to your question, I don't think the Daytona would have the superior popularity it has if it was as readily available as say a SS Sub or Exp 2 or as just a walk-in watch.
It IS great, phenomenal movement and still one of the best chronos produced but the hype does play a big role.
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:38 AM   #23
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Two completely different types of watches. The Santos is a beautiful, fun, high horology dress watch.

The stainless steel Daytona, regardless of year or dial color, is the king of all sports watches.

They each have their place.

In order to enjoy the Daytona one needs to dig into the history of the model, just like with a vintage Porsche 911.

Due to the difficult to acquire nature of the steel Daytona some people have grown sour towards it, pretending not to like it because they know how much effort is involved to be able to acquire one.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 06:45 AM   #24
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the watch. The allure of the Daytona is, I think, largely due to its exclusivity. No matter the object/item, the minute it becomes ubiquitous or attainable by the masses, it suffers in prestige and thus, desirability.

While I do think a Daytona looks awesome. It’s not one that blew my mind the first time I saw it. Put it this way, if you put out a table full of Rolex watches to a crowd that has no idea what these watches are/represent I’m willing to bet that the majority will choose something other than a panda Daytona. Case in point, the Daytona was not a sales hit when it first came out. Only when you learn about the exclusivity of the watch, does its status get elevated in your mind.

Having said all that, the reality is that this watch is very desired regardless of why that is. Congrats and hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:01 AM   #25
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Similar with me as well. I was always after the next watch. And a SS white dial Daytona was the grail on my wish list. It had nothing to do with hype, I just loved the look of the watch. And then in February of this year I purchased a RG, Sundust dial Daytona on OF from my AD. It is phenomenal and this became my grail. I no longer desire a SS Daytona and I'm no longer constantly looking for the next watch. This Daytona does it all for me.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:10 AM   #26
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

That's a very interesting pick up. Congratulations. I'm not impressed by the Daytona either but you can always sell it if it fails to fully grab you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:13 AM   #27
londondude
"TRF" Member

Absolutely stunning watches! Massive congratulations
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:19 AM   #28
londondude
"TRF" Member

To answer your question I think it’s a bit of both. Some people like the rarity and the status, some like it for what it is and some probably like it for both reasons. I think it depends on the person.
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:26 AM   #29
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
It's honestly a handsome watch. The fact that it's hard to obtain makes it more appealing of course.

Would the AP Royal Oak be as heavily grailed in so many of our collections if it was readily accessible?
I believe so. The finishes on the AP Royal Oak are much more refined and sharp. Feels much more like a piece of jewelry when on the wrist. Also with it being so delicate I find myself reserving it for more special occasions...

Old 4 July 2024, 08:28 AM   #30
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Not fair to compare that Daytona to that WG Dumont with that awesome Demoiselle weight.
That Cartier is fire!!!
Congrats!
The Santos Dumont is also Stainless Steel