The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 December 2020, 07:40 AM   #1
hawg
"TRF" Member

Omega quality?

Not being an omega owner I was wondering if any have owned omegas along with other high end watches, and if so thoughts on the quality of their watches. It seems Rolex is held in high regard, but perhaps it is a biased view, or maybe there is not a lot of difference in quality. Thoughts.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 07:45 AM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
Not being an omega owner I was wondering if any have owned omegas along with other high end watches, and if so thoughts on the quality of their watches. It seems Rolex is held in high regard, but perhaps it is a biased view, or maybe there is not a lot of difference in quality. Thoughts.
Omega is every bit as high quality as Rolex is. In fact in some cases their movements are better.

Let it begin.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 07:46 AM   #3
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
I've owned several Omegas for the past 10 years or so, great watches, zero issues
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 07:52 AM   #4
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
Yes. The Rolex view is biased. I have Rolex and Omega. The Speedmaster Professional is an older design and the quality is good but not modern. The Seamaster 300m Professional Diver is every bit of the quality of Rolex though. Perhaps better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:29 AM   #5
greengold
Banned

Depends on what etc i have new seamaster and had hulk - bracelet won on hulk but i prefer the dial on seamaster
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:32 AM   #6
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I second, third and fourth above notions.
I encourage everyone to try the SMP Diver 300. It really competes well with the Submariner, IMHO has better clasp, more accurate movement and more comfortable bracelet at 1/2 the price or 1/3 if you go gray.

New AT 41 really put the Datejust to shame, that olive green dial is ........
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:35 AM   #7
JodyHighroller
Banned

Some of the Omega movements are better than their Rolex counterparts. I find where Omega really struggles is with their bracelets. The design and lack of tapering leaves a lot to be desired.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:39 AM   #8
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Some of the Omega movements are better than their Rolex counterparts. I find where Omega really struggles is with their bracelets. The design and lack of tapering leaves a lot to be desired.
Agreed. I have the Seamaster 300 reissue. Love the watch but the clasp is too bulky and not finished in the way the newer oyster bracelets are. The older Aqua Terra bracelets were great.

All this being said, to me, the Rollie Super Jubilee bracelet is quite simply the most comfortable bracelet on any watch, anywhere.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:54 AM   #9
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Agreed. I have the Seamaster 300 reissue. Love the watch but the clasp is too bulky and not finished in the way the newer oyster bracelets are. The older Aqua Terra bracelets were great.

All this being said, to me, the Rollie Super Jubilee bracelet is quite simply the most comfortable bracelet on any watch, anywhere.
I actually find the Oyster bracelet to be less comfortable than the SMP bracelet which fits like a glove. I also don't like how Oyster have sharp edges. I really don't understand what the tapering fuss is all about, I only hear about it from Rolex afficianados for some reason.

Either way to each their own if you like it. I don't care much for it.

I would like to add that the submariner clasp is terrible. Its longer than horse's schlong and functionality is terrible. I have to remove the watch and then put it back on to adjust it by 1mm.

Only Rolex can make the bracelet bigger to make the lugs look smaller and dial bigger yet convince its loggers that it actually appears smaller and get away with it.
Old 22 December 2020, 08:59 AM   #10
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
I actually find the Oyster bracelet to be less comfortable than the SMP bracelet which fits like a glove. I also don't like how Oyster have sharp edges. I really don't understand what the tapering fuss is all about, I only hear about it from Rolex afficianados for some reason.

Either way to each their own if you like it. I don't care much for it.

I would like to add that the submariner clasp is terrible. Its longer than horse's schlong and functionality is terrible. I have to remove the watch and then put it back on to adjust it by 1mm.

Only Rolex can make the bracelet bigger to make the lugs look smaller and dial bigger yet convince its loggers that it actually appears smaller and get away with it.
What oyster bracelet are you referring to?

I used to have a 2018 PO 45.5 chrono and sold it last year. The edges on that bracelet were very sharp compared to any of my Rolex references.

The tapering makes the bracelet look more elegant and less bulky. I’ve also read online on various sites that Omega produces their bracelets in China instead of in house.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:08 AM   #11
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve had both. Currently have a Speedmaster & Seamaster. Rolex bracelets are infinitely nicer. I find the new Omega clasps clunky to look at. Movement in my Seamaster 300 is 10,000 gauss proof (10 times the famous Rolex Milgauss. Speedmaster is an icon. But, Rolex is Rolex!
Old 22 December 2020, 09:13 AM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Omega are generally on a par with Rolex I have found. I totally agree re the bracelet comments however. That said, the one on the Apollo 11 50th blows any bracelet (Rolex or other) I’ve ever had out of the water imo. It’s fantastic - same as the one on the Ed white (but 20mm).
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:18 AM   #13
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
What oyster bracelet are you referring to?

I used to have a 2018 PO 45.5 chrono and sold it last year. The edges on that bracelet were very sharp compared to any of my Rolex references.

The tapering makes the bracelet look more elegant and less bulky. I’ve also read online on various sites that Omega produces their bracelets in China instead of in house.
I have never had a PO so I can't comment on that. I am speaking of the modern Rolex Oyster bracelet installed on Submariners.

I am not knoweldgeable enough to comment on the origin of the bracelet. To my eyes, its made better than Rolex bracelet and also functions better. Could be made in China, but so are million other devices like iPhones that people line up and shell out big bucks for. There is also trace and evidence that Rolex made Chinese origin parts in their movements. But let's not get into that debate.
Old 22 December 2020, 09:47 AM   #14
hawg
"TRF" Member

Thks for the input. I find the jubilee bracelet hard to beat. Might even look good on the speedy.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:56 AM   #15
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
Thks for the input. I find the jubilee bracelet hard to beat. Might even look good on the speedy.
Blasphemy.

Three days before Christmas

Old 22 December 2020, 09:57 AM   #16
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
My only Omega is the Mark II reissue . I think the bracelet is beautiful and comfortable. Looking for a PO 600 .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 12:49 PM   #17
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Ploprof. And the mesh bracelet. Amazing piece of equipment
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:52 PM   #18
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

To the OP, as you can see from the responses, people's perceptions and experiences related to 'quality' can be as different as the two brands you mentioned.

The reality is that both produce fine watches. Once we get into the different design choices and features, it gets somewhat subjective.
Old 22 December 2020, 02:03 PM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Omegas are comparatively thick (biggest drawback for me) but I expect reliability is on par or better than Rolex due to the thicker /over built movements?
Old 22 December 2020, 02:05 PM   #20
-dustin
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

My 8500 PO came on a bracelet. Wasn’t a fan. The bracelet on my Exp II was quite a bit more attractive. To me. Which I never would have expected. I’m generally not a bracelet fan...probably because I’m spoiled by Omega’s rubber.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 02:31 PM   #21
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Omega is every bit as high quality as Rolex is. In fact in some cases their movements are better.

Let it begin.
Pretty much sums it up from me too. They definitely take more strides moving "forward"with their movements and certifications... Side effects like thickness isn't always desirable to all but it's a different approach from Rolex's don't fix it if it isn't broken mentality.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 06:45 PM   #22
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I’ve had more problems with Rolex watches over the last ten years than with Omegas. Pushers coming of Daytonas, watches requiring servicing etc.

I would also say that I’ve had no problems other than battery changes, with my tag Chrono 2000 in over twenty seven years or with my Seikos in over forty years. These watches have been worn in harder environments than my Rolex and Omega watches.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 08:01 PM   #23
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

After more than 20 years of ownership of both brands, I’d say they’re about even. Buy whichever one you like best, you’ll get a quality watch either way.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 09:35 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own multiples of both Omega and Rolex and find both to be great. Omega is different but in a good way. Build quality is excellent and I do not have a problem with the bracelets as I see them and wear them and enjoy them. The Rolex logo is huge for me and others but I like Omega for as much of what it is not, a Rolex. Across the board my modern Omega movements are amazing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 05:33 AM   #25
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

For pure quality of product, Omega is at least as good as Rolex in my experience.

The things that Rolex beats Omega (and pretty much almost everyone else) at currently are a) name recognition and b) value retention. These are surely factors in many potential buyers' minds, but should not be strong enough to dissuade you from acquiring an Omega that you like. Omegas are awesome.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 10:39 AM   #26
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Omega quality?

Omega and Rolex are as good as it gets. I own both. You can’t go wrong.

I think some Rolex models have a much more wow factor in person, but Omega and Rolex are my 2 favorite brands. Of course, brands like Patek Phillipe, Audimars Piguet and Vacherone Constantine are out of my price range, so I don’t even consider those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 09:13 PM   #27
Dave455
"TRF" Member

I own both Omega and Rolex watches, and some other makes too.

If I compare all the watches I own, I think Rolex are slightly ahead on quality. But note, that’s looking at all the watches, which includes things such as a Seamaster Quartz. It’s a lovely watch, and a superb everyday piece if you need Quartz accuracy, but not quite up there with Rolex.

All manufacturers quality varies over time. At present, Omega are making absolutely superb watches, and if you compare “like against like” it’s a much harder call. The current Seamaster 300M is bound to be compared to the Submariner. I do prefer the Submariner, but that’s probably 90% due to styling. The Co axial escapement is definitely a point to Omega though.

With other watches it’s different. For a start, Rolex don’t really offer a “tool” chronograph, so if that’s what you want, you pretty much have to go Omega. A friend owns the Speedmaster 57 (the blue one) and for quality it’s every bit the equal of anything Rolex offer, maybe even a notch above? The first time I saw a Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon the quality blew me away. I’d seen pictures of course, but none of them conveyed the sheer quality of the actual watch.

Omega, of course, produce watches such as the Dark Side of the Moon in (relatively) small numbers. This helps them to keep the quality high, but also raises an interesting point regarding “exclusivity”.

A manufacturer can attempt to make something “exclusive” by limiting availability. The problem is, by doing this you will irritate many of your loyal customers. You also assume that they want that exclusivity. Some may not, they might just want a decent watch.

Another option is to offer a good variety of designs. Customers will invariably choose from across the whole range. Some designs will become more exclusive than others, but a customers ability to own one will be based solely on his or her individual taste. Surely that’s what it’s about!

My advice to the O.P. would always be to go and look at the actual watches wherever feasible. There may be factors about certain designs that are more important to one person than another, and you can only ever decide this for yourself. And of course, when you have made your decision, enjoy YOUR watch!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #28
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
SMPs are a bit on the thick side compared to a Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 11:24 AM   #29
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post

Let it begin.

Ladies & Gentleman, Boys & Girls....Children of all ages!!!!.....TRF is proud to present to you.......OMEGA vs ROLEX!!!!!!!.........

Vince McMahon wears a Seiko
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 11:33 AM   #30
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I own/have owned several watches from both brands and I'd say they are about equal overall in terms of quality. I think there are certain things Omega does better than Rolex and vice versa. Overall, I think Rolex currently makes better bracelets and bezels but the five digit Rolexes had terrible bracelets compared to Omega at the time and Omega was making their bracelets in China even then, so quality is often, but not always, about the country of manufacture.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote