The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2021, 12:21 AM   #1
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
What to add to 5196P and ALS Up/Down collection?

I picked up my first Patek (5196P) a few weeks ago, and I love it so much I am researching my next Patek. I welcome the wisdom of the forum!

My current lineup and thinking:

*I currently have an A. Lange and Sohne Up/Down in white gold in my collection, and that complements my Patek 5196P.

*I feel compelled to target a Patek Annual Calendar for my next watch, and of the current lineup like the 5205G and the 5235 (Regulator). I respect the Patek Annual Calendars, but am not ‘in love’ with any of them in terms of my personal wear.

*I love the black dial 5227 and think it fits into my collection perfectly. However, I feel compelled NOT to get another Calatrava for my next Patek, much less a Calatrava that arguably is due for an upgrade in 2022.

Questions I’ve love advice on:

*Should I hold off until 2022 and see the new releases?

*Presumably the AD will not offer discounting on a 5227, so what might I ask for in terms of assurances for allocation pieces in the future? I would like an Aquanaut, and if I buy the 5227, that’s a 5227 and 5196P at full MSRP within two weeks of each other, both of them instances of my buying out of the case.

***Should I simply go preowned on the black dial 5227? There are plenty available from trusted dealers (DavidSW has one now), and as considerable discounts from MSRP. Maybe I ask my AD to try to source a preowned for me?

I’m thinking I should do nothing for now, and continue researching. But I do absolutely love the black dial 5227!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 02:22 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think you need a Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 02:42 AM   #3
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Difficult one. I think unless you really really like the 5227, I would wait. There will probably be some cool stuff coming out in April but if not, you’ll still be able to get the 5227 then. So really depends how patient you are!

Nicof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 02:49 AM   #4
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

What to add to 5196P and ALS Up/Down collection?

Seems like something to beat around in would be nice. Something on bracelet maybe? The yachtmaster is a nice choice.

I love those watch stands, very nice!

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 02:59 AM   #5
pulpfiction
Banned

How much is the 5196P at retail if I may ask? Is that a long waitlist item?
pulpfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 03:53 AM   #6
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, for responses to date!

Note: I have other watches on bracelets (eg. two Datejusts, one on jubilee, another on an oyster, which I love and swap the bracelets back and forth on). So this is about building out my dress watch collection, though I love my Rolexes on bracelets, too!

Retail on 5196P is just under $42K USD.
Old 12 November 2021, 06:47 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Gotcha , then I can’t help you. Because my philosophy is different from yours. I wouldn’t be building a dress watch collection, I would of pick one patek dress watch preferably with complications and that will be my dress watch period. lol
Nothing wrong of what you are doing , totally fine , just different perspective
Good luck

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:17 AM   #8
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Gotcha , then I can’t help you. Because my philosophy is different from yours. I wouldn’t be building a dress watch collection, I would of pick one patek dress watch preferably with complications and that will be my dress watch period. lol
Nothing wrong of what you are doing , totally fine , just different perspective
Good luck

Actually, this was helpful! My takeaway: I need to focus on my next Patek being one with complications - likely an annual calendar. This is actually what I’ve decided to do: exercise patience and target complications. Thanks!
Old 12 November 2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

I like the 5146. Can be had used for a decent price.
2020 Submariner Date Ref. 126610LN
2021 GMT Master-II Ref. 126710BLRO-0001
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 12:53 PM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would go 5227 as you state you love it. That’s all that matters. Ignore the noise clouding you astray. I would suggest sticking with your AD you have a relationship with. Ask them what else they would want before getting an aquanaut your way. If they say nothing else and two calatravas will set you up, I would never mention the name of this AD to anyone and move in silence until you get that Aquanaut.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
I like the 5146. Can be had used for a decent price.
Agree, the 5146 is a classic.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:26 PM   #12
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Such a great advice here, thank you everyone!

Update: went to the boutique last night and tried on several references. My terrific sales associate pulled out a 5146 and told me to try it, and it was a perfect fit. So the 5146 is now on the list. They also are looking for a 5205 for me to try.

About the 5227, we talked about getting one preowned through them and the pros/cons. My sales associate recommended that we put the 5227 on hold for now, since the aquanaut I get down the line will also likely be black dial. They’re awesome to work with; building long term relationships with a single boutique and planning collecting out over multiple year time spans is deeply gratifying and one of the enjoyable aspects of this hobby!

Appreciative of the wisdom of the forum, as always. Be well, everyone!
Old 13 November 2021, 01:27 AM   #13
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Agree on holding off on 5227-
I would not add another uncomplicated calatrava as seems redundant to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 01:38 AM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I would recommend you to have a look at the blue or white dial 5205 since your AD is going to give you a gray dial Aquanaut. The 5205 is gorgeous and it has quite similar lug and case profile of the 5227, albeit thicker.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 10:10 AM   #15
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I would recommend you to have a look at the blue or white dial 5205 since your AD is going to give you a gray dial Aquanaut. The 5205 is gorgeous and it has quite similar lug and case profile of the 5227, albeit thicker.
Great advice, they’re working on getting me a 5205 to try now. From what I can see online, and read in reviews, that might be the one.
Old 14 November 2021, 02:04 PM   #16
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

If my memory is correct, the 5146 has been discontinued recently.

So it would not surprise me if we get something interesting turning around the 5146... or (my bet) the 5396.

Few points to feed your thoughts:
- 2022 will be a crucial year as people may start to travel again (and bets are done on the impact for the watch market)
- Patek will announce new watches during the year and not only during Watches and Wonders Geneva (which replaces the cancelled Basel World)
- People are almost working fully again in Geneva. It started to pick up right after the summer holidays. And Covid restrictions are less strict on companies. (Production volume coming back to the normal?)
- M. Stern always said that the new Patek manufacture was not to increase the units produced but improve the experience (for the vip) and the value (quality, finish, etc) of the watches. Let's see what the future will bring.
- Patek is not a one model brand; all watches are very different (which is the charm of the brand). I would suggest you to try all the watches you can in your budget before making a decision. I have seen ugly watches on the paper which turn out extraordinary beautiful on the wrist (and the inverse).

Happy quest. :)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote