The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 01:46 AM   #1
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Perception is powerful..and expensive

Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy. The general market seems to disagree with me. I get it the Daytona is a beautiful piece, but 3.7x...wow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhiteSpeedy Vs WhiteDaytona.jpg (47.8 KB, 0 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #2
Mystro

And worth every penny more……
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #3
MP777
"TRF" Member

One is 99% made in Switzerland (and holds its value) while the other is probably 75% made in China (and will be at half off a couple of years later). The finishing and overall quality is really apparent when you compare them side by side.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
One is 99% made in Switzerland (and holds its value) while the other is probably 75% made in China (and will be at half off a couple of years later). The finishing and overall quality is really apparent when you compare them side by side.
You better have some evidence before claiming the China connection! I have both and I would say they are not worlds apart. Daytona is better build in case finishing, but I'd argue that no movement is more beautiful than the Speedy's.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:10 AM   #5
MP777
"TRF" Member

Plenty of posts already about Omega bracelets coming from China. The country of origin doesn’t really matter as long as the same standard of quality applies, which in Omega’s case I dont think it does.

Just look at the inside edge of your clasp and you’ll see the stamped marks left by the NCT machine. Now look at the Daytona’s and see how well polished it is. Just one example of Omega’s cost cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
You better have some evidence before claiming the China connection! I have both and I would say they are not worlds apart. Daytona is better build in case finishing, but I'd argue that no movement is more beautiful than the Speedy's.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #6
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
LOL

Easy on the koolaid
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #7
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

I own both White Face Speedy and RG OF Daytona 12x. Both purchased from ADs and I would say that both overpriced even at retail, with Rolex obviously being overpriced more.

Panda's secondary market price is just absurd. Just buy a PM Daytona from your AD at retail instead if you really want Daytona.
Sergio_UKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #8
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

I own each of these pieces...
Each is unique in its own way and I admire them both.

Daytona is automatic Vs. manual Speedy
Daytona finishing is better... and feels more lux.

Speedy has open case back displaying the 3861

You can get a Speedy at the Ad... Good luck getting a Daytona.
Daytona sells for 2x MSRP in the secondary market... you can get a brand new speedy for 15%-20% discount. Not the white one yet.

While I love the Speedy... The Daytona wins for me.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #9
CH69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy. The general market seems to disagree with me. I get it the Daytona is a beautiful piece, but 3.7x...wow.
It is the brand (and image it projects on the wearer) that commands the premium. Watch wise, both are great pieces, but image wise, Rolex is far ahead of Omega.
CH69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 AM   #10
jamesgames
"TRF" Member

Retail vs Retail the daytona premium is 100% worth it. I dont know a single person that would turn down a daytona at retail for a speedy..

I do love the speedmaster white dial, but it just isn't the white dial daytona.
jamesgames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:51 AM   #11
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't really understand this logic. A gshock is a fraction of the price, more reliable, accurate, and legible than either of the watches - why aren't we including that in this discussion?

We need to accept that these are luxury baubles, and some baubles are more hyped than others.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:53 AM   #12
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow coming in here with guns blazing...surely you have a source to back this up?
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:08 AM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So Omega’s watches are only 25% Swiss? You know that for a watch to be considered Swiss Made, 60% of its components need to be Swiss, right? So stop spreading misinformation
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #14
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Thinking about trading my Air King 126900 for a white speedy. Already have the black 3861 SS.
Know1isgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #15
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
lol. E for Effort

The Daytona is well worth that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I don't really understand this logic. A gshock is a fraction of the price, more reliable, accurate, and legible than either of the watches - why aren't we including that in this discussion?

We need to accept that these are luxury baubles, and some baubles are more hyped than others.

Thank you, well said

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I own both a steel Daytona and a Speedy. Love both of them, reseller price irrelevant to me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #18
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
The retail on that 126500LN Daytona in oystersteel is only $15,100, not $34,675. False equivalency.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:56 AM   #19
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
None of it makes sense. Because the absolute highest complication watch is the $500 Apple Watch. The toughest watch is likely just a $100 g shock. We can see through replica pricing that raw material cost + basic labor could be below $1000 for either.

I have daytonas. I have had the speedmaster sapphire. The caseback is beautiful. I've not had problems with either. Thoough I feel the speedmaster is a better watch, the hype and the story of daytona continues to draw me in. What can I say? i'm just peer-pressure-prone basic b**** who is not into space at all.

Quote:
Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy.
SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #20
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post

It looks like you do understand, this is, in fact, the point.
Old Today, 04:04 AM   #21
Easy E

I 100% understand those that prefer the 500 to the white Speedy at retail. I can see the differences enough to justify a $7000 delta, if you like it. For that matter, I just bought a TT 503 white face, secondary price was a hair over retail plus tax. Did so without hesitation - also, very happy with that purchase. But an extra $25K for the steel 500...thats hype and emotion (to me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS1.jpg (117.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 503-2.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #22
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

These are luxury pieces. Hard to argue with a Casio if all you want is comfort, accuracy and price. With luxury, you are buying what strikes your heart and how you are perceived by others. People want what they can’t get … that means Daytona.

SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 AM   #23
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
One has a very accurate and reliable movement that will function worry free for years to come.

The other has a crown on the dial

(Just a bit of fun guys, don’t get out the flame throwers please lol)
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote