The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 February 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

Vintage Speedy Service Question

Hi Everyone- I need some advice regarding servicing of my father’s vintage Speedmaster. I’ve received a diagnostic test from Omega and they’ve said that even with the full service the waterproofness of the piece cannot be guaranteed due to excessive wear of the case… That seems odd to me because new gaskets, seals, etc. will be put in (verified with the rep). Also, they will change my hands to luminova but will leave the original tritium dial. Has anyone heard of the waterproof issue? Is there anyone in the tri-state area that is trusted to service Omega watches to keep the piece vintage?

If the chronograph didn't develop an issue I'd have never brought it in but unfortunately a service is needed one way or another

Thanks in advance!
watch_the_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 01:15 AM   #2
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
99% of the time a vintage speedy will pass pressure testing. Hesalite speedy's are only tested with pressure to 0.2 and 3.0 bar; no vacuum. It's more about preparing you for a worst case scenario. Because the case can't be broken down during a diagnostic any underlying damage or corrosion where the pushers or crystal seat can't be assessed. I wouldn't fret about it and go ahead with the service.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 04:00 AM   #3
shoota70
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch_the_time View Post
Hi Everyone- I need some advice regarding servicing of my father’s vintage Speedmaster. I’ve received a diagnostic test from Omega and they’ve said that even with the full service the waterproofness of the piece cannot be guaranteed due to excessive wear of the case… That seems odd to me because new gaskets, seals, etc. will be put in (verified with the rep). Also, they will change my hands to luminova but will leave the original tritium dial. Has anyone heard of the waterproof issue? Is there anyone in the tri-state area that is trusted to service Omega watches to keep the piece vintage?

If the chronograph didn't develop an issue I'd have never brought it in but unfortunately a service is needed one way or another

Thanks in advance!
Do you have pics of the watch you can share?

I would encourage you to seriously pump the breaks on letting Omega service this watch. What year did your dad purchase the watch - do you know the year of manufacture or the reference #? General speaking putting luminova service hands on a Tritium dial is a bad idea especially when you never really wanted that to begin with. How bad are the hands? What was the initial problem with the watch requiring service?

I can recommend a few technicians who specialize in vintage Speedys but lets gather some info first.
G-Shock GW9400
shoota70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 10:00 AM   #4
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

What Shoota said, I agree. Personally I would not replace the hands or dial. Service it where ever but keep those original...my 2 cents! Hope this helps AL
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2015, 10:26 AM   #5
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. My father believes he bought the watch in the early 70s but isn't certain. Unfortunately, the serial number is on the movement and the only thing on the case back is the "first watch on the moon." It's on the 1039 bracelet, which they said is also not guaranteed to work at this point. The movement on the estimate is caliber 861. The hands are in good shape I think. The watch still glows and hasn't formed a patina yet, which is why I was confused that the hands are recommended to be changed.

As for the issue with the Chrono complication, the hour dial sometimes leans in between 0 and 1. If you start the chrono when that's happening the chrono seconds hand jumps and the small seconds hand sputters in place a bit. If you recognize the hour counter issue and reset the chrono before starting everything runs fine. I also think the watch is running 30 seconds or so outside of COSC.

I'm going to the AD tomorrow so I'm either coming home with the watch or telling them to go ahead with there service but at this point it seems I should hold off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy.JPG (90.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 27 February 2015, 12:25 PM   #6
shoota70
"TRF" Member

The AD is full of crap.

Hands and dial are excellent. Do not replace them. Do not let omega or AD service it. What you described is an easy fix for a competent watch technician. Watch is in fantastic shape don't change a thing.

All you need here is a cleaning and a lube with gaskets replaced.

find a competent independent tech in your area that "gets it" and don't be afraid to send it to someone like Al Archer or Nesbits.
G-Shock GW9400
Old 27 February 2015, 12:27 PM   #7
shoota70
"TRF" Member

And absolutely beautiful speedy. Great family heir loom
G-Shock GW9400
Old 28 February 2015, 06:32 AM   #8
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota70 View Post
The AD is full of crap.

Hands and dial are excellent. Do not replace them. Do not let omega or AD service it. What you described is an easy fix for a competent watch technician. Watch is in fantastic shape don't change a thing.

All you need here is a cleaning and a lube with gaskets replaced.

find a competent independent tech in your area that "gets it" and don't be afraid to send it to someone like Al Archer or Nesbits.

Ditto. That 1039 bracelet is a rarity in itself. I cannot tell the condition, but they do get a bit flimsy, but I believe someone on the omega forums.net knows someone who rebuilds these for a decent price. Al Archer or ABC Watchworks in LA will service with all due respect to its age without fear of changing anything unless you request it. The jump skip in the chrono is a common fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 11:49 PM   #9
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

I picked up the watch from the boutique after confirming I have 0 control in what would be done during service and have emails to the watchmakers above but haven't heard back from anyone just yet. If i don't hear anything this weekend I'm going to hop on the Omegaforums and start a discussion.

Thanks again!
Old 1 March 2015, 09:47 AM   #10
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Watch, you did the right thing, I wouldn't let Omega touch it if you have no choice options on service work to be done.
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
There's no guarantee that the chrono hand or one of the subdial hands won't break at the hub when they are removed. However unlikely there is still the possibility. They are on very tight to ensure accurate and reliable reset. Omega replaces hands, crown and pushers as part of a service regardless. I doubt they told you the dial was a required replacement.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2015, 12:58 AM   #12
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

Hi guys- Not to resurrect an old thread but I eventually sent my watch to Al Archer and had the service done. Al was transparent and his communication great so I agree with all the positive comments out there regarding his service. My watch now works as it should and most importantly I had total control regarding what was done to it.

Thanks again to all that replied.
Old 28 June 2015, 01:58 AM   #13
theprocess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch_the_time View Post
Hi guys- Not to resurrect an old thread but I eventually sent my watch to Al Archer and had the service done. Al was transparent and his communication great so I agree with all the positive comments out there regarding his service. My watch now works as it should and most importantly I had total control regarding what was done to it.

Thanks again to all that replied.
Glad to hear. Al Archer is highly recommended. Wear your speedy well.
theprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 06:55 PM   #14
lsettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/14060/3570.5
Al is excellent to deal with, one of the best. He has my speedy right now~

Lawrence