The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2015, 09:53 PM   #1
tough
"TRF" Member

Hey guys. Help needed on my first Omega purchase - a Speedmaster

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well.
I have to start by saying that I am relatively new in the watch world.

I have currently a Rolex SS Sub, and a Patek Aquanaut.
Both watches that I enjoy and wear a lot.

After much consideration, and lurking around, I want to add more complications to my collection over the years, and I would love to start with a Chrono.
At first I was thinking of a Daytona. In all honesty, I didn't fall in love with it as much as others have, it just didn't sing to me as much.

Then I cam across the speed master. I absolutely love the history of that piece. Omega brings more diversity to my collection which I also like.
I just see so many different versions, and am a little lost on which ones are the more admired ones.
How does one pick from so many different versions.

Are the numbered edition special?
I have recently seen one on a leather strap.

Appreciate your help and thank you!
tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 10:43 PM   #2
jmsrolls
Banned

The Speedy Pro or variation thereof is a must have for any serious WIS. No other watch has its history and mystery.

I've owned a couple of dozen over the years and the numbered First Omega in Space is my current model but you can't go wrong with any version.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 12:06 AM   #3
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough View Post
Hey guys, hope you are all doing well.
I have to start by saying that I am relatively new in the watch world.

I have currently a Rolex SS Sub, and a Patek Aquanaut.
Both watches that I enjoy and wear a lot.

After much consideration, and lurking around, I want to add more complications to my collection over the years, and I would love to start with a Chrono.
At first I was thinking of a Daytona. In all honesty, I didn't fall in love with it as much as others have, it just didn't sing to me as much.

Then I cam across the speed master. I absolutely love the history of that piece. Omega brings more diversity to my collection which I also like.
I just see so many different versions, and am a little lost on which ones are the more admired ones.
How does one pick from so many different versions.

Are the numbered edition special?
I have recently seen one on a leather strap.

Appreciate your help and thank you!
I know how you feel as I was in a similar position just a few months ago when I really started looking more closely at the Omega Speedmasters. It can be a bit overwhelming at first with so many different watches called "Speedmaster" or "Moonwatch" and so many different versions of each.

This might not sound very helpful, but I really think the only way you'll be able to make a choice is to first do some research. I read up on Speedmasters on various sites, including Fratello Watches, Hodinkee, and forums like this one. A good starting place is this "Buyer's Guide" on Fratello Watches: http://www.fratellowatches.com/omega...-guide-part-1/

What you'll end up finding is that almost everyone will say if you are going to get one Speedmaster, it should be either a vintage or new, Speedmaster Professional with the solid case back and Hesalite crystal. It is the only one that is qualified by NASA, and even the ones sold today are pretty much the same as the watches the astronauts wore on the moon missions (there have been some changes to the movement and minor cosmetic changes over the years). Omega also sells a Speedmaster Professional that has sapphire crystal on the front and back (often referred to as the "sapphire sandwich"). That version doesn't seem to be as popular with enthusiasts, but it's a good option if you really like seeing the movement. There are also a number of different special or anniversary editions of the Speedmaster Professional that come out regularly, and there are really too many of those to list. Some of them are more popular than others, and some are more limited than others.

I think the one you are referring to with the leather strap is the First Omega In Space. It's the one being discussed in some recent threads on this board and what jmsrolls referred to. That is NOT the true "moonwatch," but is very similar. It is an homage to the first speedmaster worn in space, before NASA qualified the watches and before the moon missions. You can read more about that watch here: https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-vint...he-new-omega-s
(though that article makes at least one error that I found - the FOIS watch is not limited edition, just numbered). Keep in mind though, I believe there have been many versions of the Speedmaster Professional that have been sold with a leather strap, so referring to the "one on a leather strap" does not really clearly identify a specific Speedmaster.

There are also Speedmaster Mark II's and the newer Speedmasters with the co-axial movements, but I won't get into those, as it sounds like you're most interested in the original moonwatch.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 01:29 AM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

This is one of those topics that I've personally gone back and forth on.

Let me say one thing first. The most important thing that will never change.

You will never go wrong with a speedmaster pro with a heslite crystal and a solid caseback. Older model or the current one.

Astronauts were still using it in space as recently as 2014. It's history is unparalleled and no matter what anyone says, it's tied to one of the greatest achievements in human history.

Now comes the part that I've gone back and forth on.

I agree with the opinion that every serious watch collector should have a moonwatch. It's relatively inexpensive and it's an icon.

My thoughts have somewhat changed over the years because as I've gotten older I've realized that history might not be relevant to everyone and their needs. It's like people wanting to buy a watch from their birth year. It's not really their watch, just one that happened to be purchased the year they were born. They don't really have a connection with that watch.

Once you get over the history and significance of watches as icons, you start to think about your personal needs. Watches like Speedy Pros and Submariners will always be around. They aren't going anywhere and if they don't meet your needs, there is nothing wrong with looking elsewhere.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. I think Omega has diluted the Speedmaster brand name to some extent. With that said, I like choice and you have plenty to choose from.

I personally like having a date complication. I also love winding watches, which not everyone loves. I habitually wind automatics as well. For no reason other than I like doing it.

The speedy pro is a safe choice in the same way that the submariner is a safe choice. Both are fantastic watches, but both are also easy choices that require little or no thought because they are iconic watches.

Go to a store and try on various models. See what you want out of your watch and don't go based on what is the easy choice. I've been asked by friends about Speedmasters in the past and I've recommended that many of them stay away. Simply because they've either made an issue out of the lack of a date, or because they can't fathom winding a watch every day. It's not for everyone.

You will never go wrong with the classic model. It will give you instant watch cred in a way that a Submariner no longer can. Just don't be swayed too much by people telling you to stay away from other models. You can always add a Speedmaster pro later to scratch that itch.

Good luck. Hope to see incoming pictures soon.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 05:36 AM   #5
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Astronauts were still using it in space as recently as 2014.
As recently as August 10, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDVn2R3Edk
flyinghell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 12:07 PM   #6
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Try them on and pick the one you like. If you love the history of it then the regular Speedmaster professional is the one to get. Many of the reissues pays tribute to vintage version but oddly some doesn't even look anything close to the original they are paying tribute to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 04:39 PM   #7
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
This is one of those topics that I've personally gone back and forth on.

Let me say one thing first. The most important thing that will never change.

You will never go wrong with a speedmaster pro with a heslite crystal and a solid caseback. Older model or the current one.

Astronauts were still using it in space as recently as 2014. It's history is unparalleled and no matter what anyone says, it's tied to one of the greatest achievements in human history.

Now comes the part that I've gone back and forth on.

I agree with the opinion that every serious watch collector should have a moonwatch. It's relatively inexpensive and it's an icon.

My thoughts have somewhat changed over the years because as I've gotten older I've realized that history might not be relevant to everyone and their needs. It's like people wanting to buy a watch from their birth year. It's not really their watch, just one that happened to be purchased the year they were born. They don't really have a connection with that watch.

Once you get over the history and significance of watches as icons, you start to think about your personal needs. Watches like Speedy Pros and Submariners will always be around. They aren't going anywhere and if they don't meet your needs, there is nothing wrong with looking elsewhere.

It's a bit of a double edged sword. I think Omega has diluted the Speedmaster brand name to some extent. With that said, I like choice and you have plenty to choose from.

I personally like having a date complication. I also love winding watches, which not everyone loves. I habitually wind automatics as well. For no reason other than I like doing it.

The speedy pro is a safe choice in the same way that the submariner is a safe choice. Both are fantastic watches, but both are also easy choices that require little or no thought because they are iconic watches.

Go to a store and try on various models. See what you want out of your watch and don't go based on what is the easy choice. I've been asked by friends about Speedmasters in the past and I've recommended that many of them stay away. Simply because they've either made an issue out of the lack of a date, or because they can't fathom winding a watch every day. It's not for everyone.

You will never go wrong with the classic model. It will give you instant watch cred in a way that a Submariner no longer can. Just don't be swayed too much by people telling you to stay away from other models. You can always add a Speedmaster pro later to scratch that itch.

Good luck. Hope to see incoming pictures soon.
Pretty sound advice from Syed.

I just picked up a Speedy today and I love it. I'm not a fan of variants or special editions, so I went with the "original modern" version.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote