The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 April 2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Some questions about Dornbluth & Sohn

Hi guys

Came across Dornbluth watches recently & am considering whether to buy one of their watches for my birthday later this year. Haven’t decided on one though, if at all. Had checked with them & they take 2-3 months to deliver. Plus with the ongoing virus situation, I am not in a hurry to make a decision.

My questions are:
1. What is the quality of their watches like? Are they of chronometer standard such as +/-3 for the more expensive ones & maybe not much worse for their cheaper watches? I am not anal about this but as my current watches consist of Omega watches such as the latest SMP & De Ville Tresor, I want to know that I am paying for a fairly accurate watch.

2. Is the servicing troublesome (eg. have to send direct to them to service) or will any decent watch repair shop be able to do it including the replacement of parts? What are the likely costs either way? A related concern naturally is that since it is a small independent, i want to know that 30 years down the road, I will have no difficulty having the watch serviced if for some reason, the company is no longer around.

Would appreciate if anyone knowledgeable and/or who is a happy customer could provide some information. Thank you and stay safe. :)
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 02:52 AM   #2
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have the 99.3 and like it. I am not sure what specs they use in terms of accuracy. Mine was fairly accurate. Their PR indicators are really spot on. More accurate than any other brand I have seen. In terms of repair, I cannot answer. Some of their watches use their own movements but most are fairly standard. I see you live in Singapore and I am not sure but there is a large dealer in Australia and at one point they had good stock.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 04:15 AM   #3
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I don't own one yet, but I've looked much at them.
I've read on other forums that they regulate to within cosc, but they don't have any official tolerances.

In terms of servicing, it wouldn't be any trouble if you stay with their standard 99.x movements, which are largely based on the Unitas 6498. They do change the movement a lot, but as far as I know the wheels and such are largely the same, and those are the parts that would need changing once in a while.
En_nissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

Hi watchucallit and En_nissen

Thanks for your replies. Glad to know the watches are fairly accurate.

Think I will need to find out more about the servicing aspects before making a decision.
Old 24 April 2020, 11:13 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Ask jocke.
Old 25 April 2020, 04:04 AM   #6
Jocke
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Hi.

I will try to be as helpful as I can. I have some Dornblüth watches since several years back. The quality of these is excellent I would argue.
As far as the accuracy of the movements is concerned, it is perfectly ok, I have not measured it exactly as I rarely have the same watch
several days in a row. If it does not hold chronometer standard then it is very close, probably the new in-house movements are more
accurate than the Unitas 6498 based. Service can be done by an independent watchmaker but I would always let Dornblüth do it because
they are very affordable. That they would disappear from the market is not likely, they have a very good reputation and a loyal following
of customers who love their watches. Furthermore, they are very helpful with personal desires and do everything they can to make the
customer happy. So if you want one of a kind watch they solve this.

Here are some links to my watches and the repotrtage I've done.

Regulator

50 Years Anniversary

Bronze

The Timetotalk Edition

20 Years Anniversary

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 05:16 AM   #7
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

Hi Jocke

Thanks for taking the time to reply! You have some amazing Dornbluth watches. :)
Old 16 June 2020, 10:40 PM   #8
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Hi.

I will try to be as helpful as I can. I have some Dornblüth watches since several years back. The quality of these is excellent I would argue.
As far as the accuracy of the movements is concerned, it is perfectly ok, I have not measured it exactly as I rarely have the same watch
several days in a row. If it does not hold chronometer standard then it is very close, probably the new in-house movements are more
accurate than the Unitas 6498 based. Service can be done by an independent watchmaker but I would always let Dornblüth do it because
they are very affordable. That they would disappear from the market is not likely, they have a very good reputation and a loyal following
of customers who love their watches. Furthermore, they are very helpful with personal desires and do everything they can to make the
customer happy. So if you want one of a kind watch they solve this.

Here are some links to my watches and the repotrtage I've done.

Regulator

50 Years Anniversary

Bronze

The Timetotalk Edition

20 Years Anniversary
Nice pieces sir.

If you can only have one Dornbluth, what would be it? The Regulator?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 11:07 PM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I did a fair bit of research into them recently. Seems like they offer amazing bang for buck, especially used and if you want to go new, you can even have them customize things for a very fair upcharge.

Like the others said, some models (older?) use a Unitas movement which is very easy to have serviced.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 11:13 PM   #10
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermčs/et
A revelation. The Regulator is beautiful!
Old 16 June 2020, 11:26 PM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I did a fair bit of research into them recently. Seems like they offer amazing bang for buck, especially used and if you want to go new, you can even have them customize things for a very fair upcharge.

Like the others said, some models (older?) use a Unitas movement which is very easy to have serviced.
Which model would you recommend, sir?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote