The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2024, 08:34 AM   #1
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Icon16 Case refinishing at RSC Toronto

I have an appointment with RSC next week to drop off my 16760 for service. I recently had the hands lume stabilized and hope it won’t be flagged for replacement, as that’ll be the end of that story. I have a few days to decide whether to have the watch refinished. I would guess the watch is not an unpolished example, but please correct me if you think otherwise. If it’s already been polished, I figure I might as well get it done again if it’s done properly.

My question is: can anyone share their experience with RSC, specifically RSC Toronto, regarding polishing work? Second question: do they refinish the chamfers, or do they polish them square like the 6 digit cases?

Here are some pics:

Would you let them polish it if you were in my shoes?

By the way, for anyone wondering, I asked directly today and can confirm that RSC Toronto does not do laser welding. Also, all polishing is done by hand.

Thanks
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:25 AM   #2
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Ĺet it be.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:43 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Rolex will polish the chamfers right off... they don't care to re-chamfer (also done by hand).

I would also be inclined to keep it as is. A polish here isn't going to do anything but further soften the case - probably extensively too in order to get those dings out.

Potentially worth laser welding at some point though, just to remove those lug dings, re-chamfer and re-brush the tops of the lugs. I would lean towards that, honestly (if you must touch it at all).
Old 20 July 2024, 10:55 AM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
It's in nice shape for its age. I vote no polish. I was happy with RSC London's service for my 1665. They respected my requests of no polishing, replacing dial , hands etc.
I vaguely remember an older watch mentioned here or another forum where they polished the chamfers to look like the newer watches. Not good.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:05 PM   #5
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Rolex will polish the chamfers right off... they don't care to re-chamfer (also done by hand).
That’s scary

Here’s a wrist shot I took while watching Judge Judy. Just realized it changes date right at midnight

Old 20 July 2024, 04:55 PM   #6
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I would leave it.
I’ve had two less than perfect polishing experiences with RSC Toronto. The first was a 16710 that was pretty similar to your watch. It wasn’t a terrible job by any means…but left the lugs a bit thinner than I would have liked. In hindsight I’d definitely prefer a few dings. The other was an Oysterquartz 17014 where they somehow added an angle / chamfer where there wasn’t one originally!
On the bright side, they respected my wishes of no polishing, and don’t touch the tritium dial, for my last service with a 16570.
Great watch by the way!
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:00 PM   #7
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I didn’t realize you are from the GTA. I was just at RSC Toronto a few weeks ago and have been there multiple times over the years.

I have no experience with polishing, but I have nothing but good things to say about the folks there.

Free parking in back which for downtown Toronto saves you a ton

Good luck and enjoy the visit
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:24 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great looking watch. I would leave the case exactly as it is, no polish. Why run the risk of having the watch not refinished right when it looks exactly perfect for its age.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 12:07 AM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Been a few years, but I put 16 professional pieces into an RSC at same time for a bit of light fettling (c 1953-97 watches btw).

I got a laundry list on just about every one... except a 14060 and 16760 - I only went ahead on these 2 out of the 16, and they ruined the chamfers and crown guards.

On ALL the other pieces they insisted on replacing the plexi and crown - I don't like service items if I can avoid, so a real no-no for me!

Oh, and on a few they INSISTED on new hands, new case backs, new end links, new bracelets, and on quite a few important calibre parts eg butterfly rotors etc etc. Just would have sanitized the watches too much imho.

I've never been back......

To be fair to them though they have a different objective to me. They are looking to get the watch back to running, stable build/security and waterproof(ness) of orig. watch and I'm looking for it to as close to 100% originality, maintain it's collectable status/value and I'm not bothered if it runs +/-4 secs or can withstand 50,100 or 200m of depth/pressure.

The two objectives are somewhat at odds with each other !
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:25 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I didn’t realize you are from the GTA
I'm not…I was just asking for a friend... who totally isn't me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I have no experience with polishing, but I have nothing but good things to say about the folks there.

Free parking in back which for downtown Toronto saves you a ton

Good luck and enjoy the visit
Thanks. I’ve been there a few times and had positive experiences as well, just never for work on a vintage piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great looking watch. I would leave the case exactly as it is, no polish. Why run the risk of having the watch not refinished right when it looks exactly perfect for its age.
Thanks. Yah for sure, I’m not going to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Been a few years, but I put 16 professional pieces into an RSC at same time for a bit of light fettling (c 1953-97 watches btw).

I got a laundry list on just about every one... except a 14060 and 16760 - I only went ahead on these 2 out of the 16, and they ruined the chamfers and crown guards.

On ALL the other pieces they insisted on replacing the plexi and crown - I don't like service items if I can avoid, so a real no-no for me!

Oh, and on a few they INSISTED on new hands, new case backs, new end links, new bracelets, and on quite a few important calibre parts eg butterfly rotors etc etc. Just would have sanitized the watches too much imho.

I've never been back......

To be fair to them though they have a different objective to me. They are looking to get the watch back to running, stable build/security and waterproof(ness) of orig. watch and I'm looking for it to as close to 100% originality, maintain it's collectable status/value and I'm not bothered if it runs +/-4 secs or can withstand 50,100 or 200m of depth/pressure.

The two objectives are somewhat at odds with each other !
Sorry to hear about the 14060 and 16760. That’s really scary and unfortunate to hear.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:45 AM   #11
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Omar! That case and bracelet look amazing, leave it be!
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:52 AM   #12
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apdl View Post
Omar! That case and bracelet look amazing, leave it be!
Thanks, I will