The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2024, 05:58 AM   #1
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 116660
Is the 126660 band that much better than my 116660 original?

Please forgive me if this is just old news rehashed, but kinda wanted some "new" opinions.

Just sent my 116660 in for service after wearing it basically 24hr for about the last 10yrs. Been browsing around here again and wanted your input.

Having never seen one in person, is the newer iteration band on the 126660 really that much better? In comparison threads and photos it only seems to be about 1mm wider at the lug and 1.5 at the clasp. Yet so many people seem to think it "balances" the watch much better.

I'll say that once I got mine adjusted properly and got used to wearing it, I never thought about it at all. It certainly wears with less slip than my old SD 16600 even though it's significantly bigger and heavier. The Glidelock makes all the difference.

Since I'll be getting mine back fully refinished and serviced I figure if I'm gonna trade now is the time. I'm not sure it's worth it to me just for a couple mm's. I know the movement is newer but mine has been incredibly accurate up until lately, (thus prompting the service). Plus, when it returns I assume it'll be just like new again.

So... any input is much appreciated.

Last edited by mdozier; 13 August 2024 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: more concise
mdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 07:57 AM   #2
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I bought a DSSD when they first came out in 2008. Daily’d it for 3 years but always felt like the bracelet looked and felt undersized for its heft. I think the newer version looks more balanced even at just a bit wider.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:06 AM   #3
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Thanks. As I mentioned, I haven't seen one in person so no real reference.
Did you get to wear/try it to see if it wears more balanced?

Thanks again.
Old 13 August 2024, 02:47 PM   #4
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Should definitely go to an AD and try one on. If you like it you may be able to sell your old one back to the AD to sell as a CPO since it just got serviced for just a little difference in trade plus cash and they would probably get it for you fast since they will make money on you and someone else essentially 4 times between the service and the margin on the three transactions. Seems like a good deal for you to trade in a a 10 year newer watch with a five year warranty instead of the two you will get after service.

Last edited by MDR143; 13 August 2024 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Clarity
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 05:20 PM   #5
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I had the 116660 for many years and switched to the 126660 a couple of years ago. I don’t feel the wider bracelet does that much. I loved the original and love this newer model as well. If I recall correctly the 126 version is ever so slightly thicker so there is a small trade off there. Someone please correct me if I am not right about this detail.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:10 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
In my opinion - yes.
I've owned a Deepsea ever since they were first introduced. The only reason I sold my 116660 was when I saw and handled the 126660. Better balance, better comfort and better looking proportions.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:37 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdozier View Post
Please forgive me if this is just old news rehashed, but kinda wanted some "new" opinions.

Just sent my 116660 in for service after wearing it basically 24hr for about the last 10yrs. Been browsing around here again and wanted your input.

Having never seen one in person, is the newer iteration band on the 126660 really that much better? In comparison threads and photos it only seems to be about 1mm wider at the lug and 1.5 at the clasp. Yet so many people seem to think it "balances" the watch much better.

I'll say that once I got mine adjusted properly and got used to wearing it, I never thought about it at all. It certainly wears with less slip than my old SD 16600 even though it's significantly bigger and heavier. The Glidelock makes all the difference.

Since I'll be getting mine back fully refinished and serviced I figure if I'm gonna trade now is the time. I'm not sure it's worth it to me just for a couple mm's. I know the movement is newer but mine has been incredibly accurate up until lately, (thus prompting the service). Plus, when it returns I assume it'll be just like new again.

Well speaking for myself my 16600 SD had a very hard life as a real working tool with hundreds of hours underwater,now almost 25 years old bracelet hardly any wear but just a few scratches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 09:28 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I could tell a difference with the 12 models as opposed to the 11 models. I think it fits and looks better in the 12 for the size of the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 10:57 PM   #9
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Only thing I noticed was that the 126660 feels like it balances on my wrist better than my old 116660 did. The bracelet on the newer models are a bit wider than on the original version, so there is a bit more mass through the bracelet that can balance the relatively heavy and thick watch case. The extra width of the bracelet visually looks more balanced with the case as well.
Old 13 August 2024, 11:41 PM   #10
H0KIE FAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2016 - 116660
Quote:

I also have the 116660 and I would love to see pics before and after the service (assuming it's polished). Perhaps I'm just used to wearing mine, but it seems pretty well balanced.
H0KIE FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:54 AM   #11
rohada
"TRF" Member

I’ve never considered upgrading from an 11 series to a 12 series because the watch fits perfectly on my wrist. I believe a major factor in the wearability of these bracelets is the use of the glidelock to get the perfect fit on the wrist. Once I did that, I’ve never given the width of the bracelet any thought because it wears so well. YMMV.
Old 14 August 2024, 01:27 AM   #12
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR143 View Post
Should definitely go to an AD and try one on. If you like it you may be able to sell your old one back to the AD to sell as a CPO since it just got serviced for just a little difference in trade plus cash and they would probably get it for you fast since they will make money on you and someone else essentially 4 times between the service and the margin on the three transactions. Seems like a good deal for you to trade in a a 10 year newer watch with a five year warranty instead of the two you will get after service.
Thanks. Hadn't considered the added + of maybe certified-pre-owned status for mine.

Problem is, can't find a 126660 anywhere around and my AD only has some "exhibit" pieces and just a smattering of available options in stock.
Old 14 August 2024, 01:28 AM   #13
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0KIE FAN View Post
I also have the 116660 and I would love to see pics before and after the service (assuming it's polished). Perhaps I'm just used to wearing mine, but it seems pretty well balanced.
I'll have to check for some "pre" pics but I'm happy to post some after service when it arrives.
Old 14 August 2024, 01:31 AM   #14
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well speaking for myself my 16600 SD had a very hard life as a real working tool with hundreds of hours underwater,now almost 25 years old bracelet hardly any wear but just a few scratches.
Agree. Been diving for 40+ yrs and my trusty 16600 goes back to the days of a gauge, watch and the tables.

I do love the new DSSD and it's a user for me as well. Albeit a bottom timer now-a-days to back up the computers.
Old 14 August 2024, 01:34 AM   #15
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
I’ve never considered upgrading from an 11 series to a 12 series because the watch fits perfectly on my wrist. I believe a major factor in the wearability of these bracelets is the use of the glidelock to get the perfect fit on the wrist. Once I did that, I’ve never given the width of the bracelet any thought because it wears so well. YMMV.
Thank you for the confirmation. That has been my experience as well.
Just kinda considering the option since it's in for service.

It seems I may only be able to find a 126660 from a trusted seller here or see if my AD (or find an AD) that can get a certified pre-owned?

Thanks
Old 14 August 2024, 01:38 AM   #16
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for the responses.

As noted, I can't find a 126.... anywhere around here to compare. Plus I hadn't considered that once mine returns it'll be new condition + warranty so I'm not sure I would want to give that up for a used 126... just for the band, still not having ever seen one.

A bit conflicted.

Thanks again for any advice.
m
Old 14 August 2024, 10:09 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Thanks to all for the responses.

As noted, I can't find a 126.... anywhere around here to compare. Plus I hadn't considered that once mine returns it'll be new condition + warranty so I'm not sure I would want to give that up for a used 126... just for the band, still not having ever seen one.

A bit conflicted.

Thanks again for any advice.
m
Chase at Nashville Watch has one on his website. I think that’s close to you based on your info
Old 15 August 2024, 12:10 AM   #18
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Chase at Nashville Watch has one on his website. I think that’s close to you based on your info
I was completely unaware of Nashville Watch! Thank you!
Will give him a call.

Thanks so much
m
Old 15 August 2024, 12:21 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
People helping people … gotta love TRF

Quote:
I was completely unaware of Nashville Watch! Thank you!
Will give him a call.

Thanks so much
m
Good luck Op, I hope you get to experience it first hand
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:23 AM   #20
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Well Chase at NW was very helpful but unfortunately they have no store front and due to insurance policies they do not do business in person so no opportunity to view/try first. So still "in the dark" as far as seeing in person.

I'm just not sure the 1mm extra width is worth the trade given mine will return "like new" without a hands-on comparison.

Thanks again.
Old 15 August 2024, 12:16 PM   #21
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I tried the 12 on a couple of times when they on tour just prior to being available.
I was already wearing an 11 as a daily wearer since late 2011 and didn't see the need to change.
One thing to note was that i could immediately tell the difference in the feel of the bracelet and it didn't appeal to me at all.
I was used to and always most pleased with 4 and 5 digit bracelets with regard to the width and taper and it took me a while to adjust to the DSSD, so i wasn't in the mood for any more change in my Rolex watches.
As it's worked out in the fullness of time sticking with the 11 was the best choice for me by far.
Besides, the increased price alone couldn't justify the shift across to the 12 at all.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 12:05 AM   #22
mdozier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I tried the 12 on a couple of times when they on tour just prior to being available.
I was already wearing an 11 as a daily wearer since late 2011 and didn't see the need to change.
One thing to note was that i could immediately tell the difference in the feel of the bracelet and it didn't appeal to me at all.
I was used to and always most pleased with 4 and 5 digit bracelets with regard to the width and taper and it took me a while to adjust to the DSSD, so i wasn't in the mood for any more change in my Rolex watches.
As it's worked out in the fullness of time sticking with the 11 was the best choice for me by far.
Besides, the increased price alone couldn't justify the shift across to the 12 at all.
Thank you so much for the affirmation. I researched several older threads when the 12series was coming out before the 13’s. I read several of your posts and others describing more detailed differences between the bands and it has been helpful.

I realize I’m probably not going to be able to compare in person so I really appreciate the input.

My experience has been similar in that I became very comfortable with the watch and once fitted well, I never thought about the bracelet width or the weight/balance.

Without being able to compare directly and given mine is returning like new, I’m disinclined to try and swap it for a used watch just for a mm or so.

Thanks again