The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2024, 04:48 PM   #1
Mr. Greene
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 7A28 7049
Anyone else tired of nothing for sale at AD’s

Had a dy to myself recently and stopped by the mall, did some window shopping at the different watch places. Stopped by the Panerai boutique and had a good conversation with a staffer, looked at the various models for sale, went by the Omega shop same thing. Oh by the way, I was treated very nicely at both places, then stopped by the Rolex shop, all watch’s had a sign “exhibition only” absolutely nothing for sale. Oh and even though I was wearing my Submariner the staffers seemed very snooty toward me. Now this isn’t the first time the staff at a Rolex store have treated me like this, on a recent trip to Vegas they had 3 yes 3 people in the shop and wouldn’t let me in. So not only am I displeased with no products to buy but the way they treat customers. Makes it easier to pick my next purchase and it’ll probably be at a shop where my money is appreciated. Anyone else have this happen?

Submariner 16610
Explorer II 1655
Panerai 915
President of the Royal Commanders Club
Mr. Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 05:50 PM   #2
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

So a few thoughts: There is nothing new in your post. Some people are treated well, others not so good. Your Las Vegas story is typical not being allowed in the store without an appointment. There are Rolex watches for sale at the AD, but not for you. The AD is in business to sell watches not collect dust in a display. Some people report that the exhibition pieces are not for sale, others say they are offered pieces. Try another AD. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:01 PM   #3
londondude
"TRF" Member

Staff at my AD are amazing and my experience with other AD’s where I don’t have any history has been very good as well. We got four watches in the last 12 months and been offered a few more so I think supply is definitely there now.
londondude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:06 PM   #4
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
There is enough for sale at AD's, it's just about meeting the right SA or manager who wants to sell to you.
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:07 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greene View Post
Anyone else have this happen?
No. My AD doesn't allow big numbers in the shop at a time for security reasons but they've never been rude to me. If they had I wouldn't still be going there. Lots more ADs out there and they're not all snotty, plus a vast number of other models from other brands. You won't have to suffer.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:08 PM   #6
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

I genuinely think it's luck and timing.it shouldn't be but it is I think.

I called my normal AD last week, asking about the datejust I'd shown an interest in. I was basically told it would be a good while yet and wasn't spoken to with much courtesy. I've had a few watches from this AD although the lady I spoke to was a little short and rude.

I then called another AD I've never used before. 3 days later they had the watch I wanted ready to be collected.

It shouldn't be this way, however, they can do as they please as they know for the hyped pieces they've probably got 20 customers who will buy it.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:45 PM   #7
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
It will cost them business and it won’t.

I pick carefully and buy infrequently. My latest purchase is a white dial speedmaster. Would that have been a Rolex if they were more easily available? Probably. But I’m bored of waiting, won’t play the games and my eye wandered elsewhere.

There is a limit to how many watches I will buy so I will ultimately spend less money on Rolex watches than I otherwise would have. At the same time, I still got a new watch that I love and Rolex will still sell everything they produce so it is what it is - bad timing. I’m in a position to buy at the same time demand is very high.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 07:16 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My AD had been an absolute pleasure to work with.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 07:37 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
My AD has been great but I have been shopping with them since way before everything got crazy.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 07:39 PM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
All that the threads on this subject prove is that what happens here doesn't happen there and what happens there doesn't happen here.

The days of walking into a shop and getting the opportunity to purchase a SS Sub Date (or one of many alternative hot watches) without any waiting are gone, at least for now.

Whether the new sites Rolex is planing on building to produce more watches has an impact remains to be seen.

We all know the situation with Rolex and can decide how we want to play, there are a multitude of great watches out there that we can spend on our hard earned money on.

It's our choice what we do.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 07:55 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I usually get treated well no matter where I go, but there is certainly a difference the last few years in new SAs when you mention a hype/hot watch, altho they are still polite I see the light go out of their eyes as they know there is no sale here and they want me as a customer, so I guess it works both ways, when you have 5 things to sell and everyone wants just the one, it can be frustrating and annoying to have the other 4 just sitting there, so ADs have it just as we do.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:47 PM   #12
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

Where I live there are 6 AD's. At the beginning I tried at all and I learned a simple rule: where they don't treat me well, never come back. Some of them where not courteous, but never rude.
There is also something we must acknowledge: every day there are 50 random people doing the same than us, asking for the same watches, telling them same stories.

Now I'm working with 2 AD's, both of them sold me 2 watches each. Nice people that will love to sell more watches but simply doesnt have the inventory to attend all requests. This is still a fact in the market.
The last time I was at one of them to collect a watch, they told me that only on the afternoon they had 190 people entering the store. Imagine the volume on yearly basis.

And the most important: they are selling only mechanical watches, not water or bread. No drama on this, we will survive without a Rolex
MarioB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 09:22 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the current state with the Rolex watch market. AD's vary and even vary within the same store depending on the SA. Years ago I got my feelings out of shopping and just look to see what I like. Treat me in a bad or disrespectful manner and I will call you out on it on the spot. No rudeness on my part but I hold others accountable for their behavior just as I hold myself accountable for mine. Everyone has a boss and even if the boss is rude you can let them know your displeasure in a respectful and direct manner. As far as other brands acting better with instore experiences that might be one of the only things they have. Both Panerai and Omega, I am a fan and own multiples of each, are at best lagging and at worst, lost. Find a seller or sellers that treat you right, find the watches you want and figure it out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 09:59 PM   #14
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Just don’t buy them period, grey, green, red, orange, period. Let the dust settle and enjoy.
Old 13 August 2024, 10:16 PM   #15
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN

Where have you been for the past four years? You and everyone else. Also, no apostrophe in ADs.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 10:17 PM   #16
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
I deal with one local AD only, & they have been great to me.

Not got anything on a walk in, but still got three watches in a year with no prior purchase history of anything so that can’t be bad. They also additionally offered to get me an Exp II within a few weeks on my last pickup.

It probably helps I have an intense dislike of colour on a bezel though, so thankfully I avoid the hype watches out of personal preference.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 11:06 PM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
My latest purchase is a white dial speedmaster. Would that have been a Rolex if they were more easily available? Probably. But I’m bored of waiting,
Err, congratulations? I really like the white Speedmaster but you make it sound like you settled for something that wasn't a Rolex.

I've definitely got to get me that Speedie. It just works for me, I don't know why. Did you get a discount?
Old 13 August 2024, 11:22 PM   #18
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
ADs get a shipment of watches every week which they sell to the general public. I think lines are getting shorter so it will be easier and easier to land most pieces with some good manners, finesse, keen specific watch interest and good timing.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 11:32 PM   #19
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

My AD is great.

Stopped by an AD in Yorkdale mall in Toronto and was highly amused… they were “appointment only” and asked if I wanted to return…another day. I spontaneously let out a laugh. The place was empty or near-empty. I was wearing my Planet Ocean at the time and casually dressed.

The rest of the boutiques were pleasant to visit…

The JLC boutique stood out in quality of service.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 11:37 PM   #20
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All

Late to the party I see.
Why would you think plenty of Panerai or Omega readily for sale and no Rolex?
Did you give PP and AP a look?
What could possibly be reason for those brands not having stock?

As far as rudeness, that’s AD specific. Mine treats me quite well.
Old 13 August 2024, 11:51 PM   #21
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Doesn’t bother me. I haven’t stepped foot in an AD in a long time, and only do when I buy something I want. I know many advise to go “check in” and “build a relationship” by “getting to know” the watch salesman. Nonsense. I have no business there if I’m not buying something.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 11:59 PM   #22
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greene View Post
Had a dy to myself recently and stopped by the mall, did some window shopping at the different watch places. Stopped by the Panerai boutique and had a good conversation with a staffer, looked at the various models for sale, went by the Omega shop same thing. Oh by the way, I was treated very nicely at both places, then stopped by the Rolex shop, all watch’s had a sign “exhibition only” absolutely nothing for sale. Oh and even though I was wearing my Submariner the staffers seemed very snooty toward me. Now this isn’t the first time the staff at a Rolex store have treated me like this, on a recent trip to Vegas they had 3 yes 3 people in the shop and wouldn’t let me in. So not only am I displeased with no products to buy but the way they treat customers. Makes it easier to pick my next purchase and it’ll probably be at a shop where my money is appreciated. Anyone else have this happen?

All ADs are different, and yes, mostly just exhibition models, nothing for sale. Seems like things are getting a little better, though. Sorry you were treated badly. There really is no excuse for sales agents being rude to potential customers, regardless of the low stock situation.

Kat

P.S. Where is grammar police guy? I had to edit, because I forgot a comma….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:02 AM   #23
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Having nothing for sale unfortunately is nothing new. Being treated poorly by staff is unacceptable in my book as anyone is a potential customer. Restricting numbers inside a store is for safety reasons plus like you said they’ve got north to sell anyway
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:37 AM   #24
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Err, congratulations? I really like the white Speedmaster but you make it sound like you settled for something that wasn't a Rolex.

I've definitely got to get me that Speedie. It just works for me, I don't know why. Did you get a discount?
I agree that the speedie just works - it’s perfect so I don’t feel like I’ve settled for it at all.

I have a few watches on my “wish list” at any given time. If you’d asked me 6 months ago what I would buy next I’d have guessed a Rolex. But the speedie hadn’t even been released.

What I do mean is there is a finite number of luxury watches I will buy and each time a competitor makes a great option available to me while Rolex can’t supply something on my wish list, it is one less Rolex that will be in my collection when the day comes that I stop buying.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:49 AM   #25
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

It is 100% your choice if you want to keep visiting that AD given how they treated you.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:10 AM   #26
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
I agree that the speedie just works - it’s perfect so I don’t feel like I’ve settled for it at all.
Good. I was pulling your leg more than anything. I think the AT range is a bit tasty too. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex ADs became more like they were pre 2018-19 but there is never an excuse for rudeness, even if some customers stick their chins out.
Old 14 August 2024, 02:17 AM   #27
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Was this Hyde Park?
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 04:04 AM   #28
kip595
"TRF" Member

The AD near me (Boise) is friendly enough, but also the only AD in any direction for several hundred miles in a small city with more nouveau riche moving to it weekly.

When I first stopped in after moving here, wearing an 116400GV, I chatted with an SA about watches and among other things I asked how their registry is for stainless models, being mostly what I collect.

I was assured they could *probably* do a DJ41 within a year (two at most), and would accept registration of interest in anything else stainless except Daytona, but that any besides a DJ would likely be a multi-year wait from their location. *Interestingly, I did hear something mentioned discreetly (from one SA to another) about only adding to the no-date Sub list because I came in wearing a no-date stainless.

Most deep collectors seem to just pop out to the west coast for the weekend from here - heck, my own last piece came from Seattle!
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 06:31 AM   #29
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
The "manufactured" scarcity (since Rolex went down this road) has bothered me from the beginning. But hey, it seems all the "big" brands do it. The psychology appears to be working. My guess is things improve somewhat, but just slightly. You're always going to "wait", but the turnaround will likely continue to shorten.
Old 14 August 2024, 06:43 AM   #30
Easy E

I am a man with no AD, no horse, wandering the secondary hills of the Grey Market Village.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote