The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2024, 10:38 PM   #1
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Two-Tone Daytona owner's feedback

Dear fellow members.

For years I have tried to acquire the coveted steel daytona since released in 2016, 8 years have passed and I did not get any younger.

I find myself contemplating more and more the two-tone versions, especially the 126 series where I appreciate every bits of the changes made.

The funny thing is I am drawn into the two-tone, not as a gateway drug but because I really like it. No idea if it is due to age ( 50 next year ) but the appeal of gold is really there. I looked at the oysterflex but not sure about the rubber thing and I am really a bracelet guy so far.

From the owners out there, what made you choose two-tone and how did it aged in your collection.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 10:42 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I prefer the gold bezel as being worth more than ceramic. Only issue is that it shows more microscratches in photos and gold is both reflective and softer than the ceramic.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 10:50 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself not a fan of the modern day Daytona got to be the most over hyped Rolex watches ever,but hype sells watches today.Mysef prefer the TT Daytona mainly because of the many dial variations.When the modern Daytona with the first chronograph movement made in-house by Rolex the cal 4130 in 2000. It was always hard to get at retail ,especially the SS version, and way back then you could buy the TT at ADs for what the SS was bringing on the grey market.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 14 August 2024 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: I
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:18 PM   #4
rohada
"TRF" Member

As a kid I always loved the TT look of watches. I'm 59 now, so I've had a long time to appreciate them. When I was coming along only metal bezels were available on the Daytona and I still prefer them to ceramic ones. I love ceramic bezels on all other Rolex watches equipped with them. I'm not opposed to a SS Daytona and would happily pair it along side my TT. For me the TT pops on the wrist. One caveat, don't buy a TT thinking it will scratch the itch for a SS. It may, but if not, then you won't be happy with your rather expensive purchase. I have the 11 series with white dial and thick gold bands around the subdials. I wear it on a caramel leather Rolex strap or the original metal bracelet. I love mine and purposely bought it without concern for the disdain of others who dislike TT. People like different things and I think that's OK. Buy what makes you happy.
Old 14 August 2024, 11:23 PM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I am not a fan of the Daytona or TT watches in general. However, when ever I see a TT Daytona I think to myself what a beautiful looking watch. Much nicer than the SS version.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:32 PM   #6
Dave O
"TRF" Member

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Couldn't get a SS Daytona and I really like TT watches. So I purchased a white dial TT Daytona from my AD. At first I really liked it, but that feeling quickly waned. For one, the gold bezel is a huge scratch magnet along with the PCL's. I really prefer the look of the ceramic bezel over the gold bezel and I just couldn't get past this. My AD suggested I might think about a PM Daytona on OF. I had never really considered this option as I thought a PM Daytona was out of my price range. But in reality, it's only a little over $10k more than the TT.

My AD came through with the exact reference I was after this past February (only 4 months after my request) and it's just stunning. It's perfect, and I no longer have that desire for a SS Daytona anymore. Something to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 540 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:32 AM   #7
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Couldn't get a SS Daytona and I really like TT watches. So I purchased a white dial TT Daytona from my AD. At first I really liked it, but that feeling quickly waned. For one, the gold bezel is a huge scratch magnet along with the PCL's. I really prefer the look of the ceramic bezel over the gold bezel and I just couldn't get past this. My AD suggested I might think about a PM Daytona on OF. I had never really considered this option as I thought a PM Daytona was out of my price range. But in reality, it's only a little over $10k more than the TT.

My AD came through with the exact reference I was after this past February (only 4 months after my request) and it's just stunning. It's perfect, and I no longer have that desire for a SS Daytona anymore. Something to consider.
I’ve had rg on oyster flex, nice colour combo. Not long ago I saw a young man wearing one at St Armand’s in Sarasota and it really was a stunning look.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:50 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I prefer the gold bezel as being worth more than ceramic. Only issue is that it shows more microscratches in photos and gold is both reflective and softer than the ceramic.

I probably should’ve added that this was my third Daytona. First was a black dial as ceramic, second a Platona. This is the one I’ve kept.

Old 15 August 2024, 01:18 AM   #9
Easy E

Subscribed. I’m really interested in TT White dial. Let’s see ‘em!

More so, what’s the legibility of the white TT?
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 01:34 AM   #10
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I’ve been contemplating my next purchase as well. I really like the TT Daytona with the black dial but feel it is too flashy for me. I think the OF models are less flashy. What do others think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:35 AM   #11
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Daytonas in general are Rolex's special breed , persoanlly I love all Daytona models and I only have one model which I bought 20 years ago, which is the TT black dial, and it is the only TT among my big watch collection including 6 Rolex watches.

However, the best daytona's are SS > PM > TT. The TT Daytona is a nice watch and it is among very few TT models that I would consider from Rolex, but I don't think its an everyday watch and it is more dressy.

I am on the list for SS Daytona Panda, my preferred reference, and if and when I receive a call, it will join my TT in my collection.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:57 AM   #12
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Wondering if anyone can speak to the TT white dial’s legibility. Looks to be better than the SS version.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 03:27 AM   #13
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
while this isn;t a great pic, dial reads just fine for me (and no, the watch isn't beat up as it appears in this pic)

georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 03:27 AM   #14
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
More so, what’s the legibility of the white TT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barada7 View Post
Wondering if anyone can speak to the TT white dial’s legibility. Looks to be better than the SS version.
This is just one man's experience. At 59 and farsighted (use readers to read), I find the white dial TT to be easily legible with both champagne and black dials harder to find the hands. The hands tend to get lost in the dial for my eyes regarding those two faces for whatever reason. YMMV.

The white dial SS I can also view easily versus the black dial SS for the same reason above. That's just me regarding those watch options. Anyone looking to buy should certainly try them on and also view them in natural light in addition to store lighting.
Old 15 August 2024, 03:53 AM   #15
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
This is just one man's experience. At 59 and farsighted (use readers to read), I find the white dial TT to be easily legible with both champagne and black dials harder to find the hands. The hands tend to get lost in the dial for my eyes regarding those two faces for whatever reason. YMMV.

The white dial SS I can also view easily versus the black dial SS for the same reason above. That's just me regarding those watch options. Anyone looking to buy should certainly try them on and also view them in natural light in addition to store lighting.
Thanks for the feedback. I have owned a white SS Daytona. Beautiful watch, I just found that I have to hunt for the hands in more lighting conditions than not. Attached is an example pic. It's not that you can see the hands, just not as well. This is what I am trying to pick off.

Edit- In harsh sun light the hands would evaporate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LowLightDaytona LR.JPG (53.4 KB, 425 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 04:24 AM   #16
rohada
"TRF" Member

Yep, I hear ya. What I've experienced with the black face is that even when I rotate my wrist, I still have a harder time picking up the hands, when similar movement on the white dial reveals the hands if not already visible, which they usually are.

I will say that my TT is easier to view for me than either of the SS options. My guess is the way your eye picks up contrast based on your overall vision has a lot to do with it. It seems so for me, at least. Here are a few different shots of mine on a Rolex leather strap and a final one on the bracelet. I tend to take photos with the watch on my wrist, so the angles are, unfortunately, very similar. The pix are close ups, so that influences the evidence a bit. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116503 leather 2.jpg (71.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 116503 leather.jpg (60.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 116503 wrist dark.jpg (36.9 KB, 414 views)
Old 15 August 2024, 06:15 AM   #17
goldfixer21

I have a TT white dial 116503 that I acquired brand new over a year ago. It’s still brand new. I wore it at home one evening, and put it back in the box. It’s too pretty to wear 😎
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:44 AM   #18
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I'm not generally a fan of Two-tone other than with a jubilee bracelet or the GMT Root beer. I'd save up and get a PM Daytona on Oysterflex
Old 15 August 2024, 07:12 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR

Another photo showing mine off perhaps a bit better.

Old 15 August 2024, 07:54 AM   #20
frank gama
"TRF" Member

I love two tone watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg _D2F6149_1516__1552_.jpeg (231.7 KB, 349 views)
Old 15 August 2024, 08:30 AM   #21
WristWatchWonders
"TRF" Member

I find the black dial on my 116503 more interesting and dynamic than the dial on the stainless-steel versions. Dials on the stainless versions look a bit flat to me, especially the white.
WristWatchWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 09:02 AM   #22
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Makes sense.

1. You are from an era when loving TT wasn't one of the seven deadly sins.

I'm two years older and love TT. Is it at times a compromise for people who love and want to experience precious metal but don't have the budget for full PM? For me it is actually and I'm not embarrassed to say it. My life is full of compromise. If only being able to afford a $19k watch makes me "poor", then I guess I am. Poor but happy.

2. I think the 126 versions of the TT are better than the previous version. It's debatable and subjective with the SS, but I think the new TT models are better by any standard.

3. The only thing that keeps me from either a Daytona TT or TT Cartier Santos is the aforementioned scratched bezel. Brand new they look incredible. Breathe on them the wrong way, and they scratch. I saw a pic recently of a lady wearing a white dial TT Daytona that was absolutely thrashed from daily wear. I couldn't decide if it was awful or incredibly badass. Maybe it was both.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 09:14 AM   #23
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Makes sense.

1. You are from an era when loving TT wasn't one of the seven deadly sins.

I'm two years older and love TT. Is it at times a compromise for people who love and want to experience precious metal but don't have the budget for full PM? For me it is actually and I'm not embarrassed to say it. My life is full of compromise. If only being able to afford a $19k watch makes me "poor", then I guess I am. Poor but happy.

2. I think the 126 versions of the TT are better than the previous version. It's debatable and subjective with the SS, but I think the new TT models are better by any standard.

3. The only thing that keeps me from either a Daytona TT or TT Cartier Santos is the aforementioned scratched bezel. Brand new they look incredible. Breathe on them the wrong way, and they scratch. I saw a pic recently of a lady wearing a white dial TT Daytona that was absolutely thrashed from daily wear. I couldn't decide if it was awful or incredibly badass. Maybe it was both.
Great post, there is a lot in this.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 09:19 AM   #24
Emery
"TRF" Member

What made me choose TT:

I wanted a Daytona on a bracelet, couldn’t afford the full PM one but wasn’t VIP enough to be allocated a SS one, so I accepted and settled for a TT.

How has it aged:

One of my most worn watch in the collection simply because it’s so comfortable.
Sure the bezel and PCL will get beat up over time, but that’s life for you I guess.

The TT can be bling and tacky and may not be for everyone, but I love mine.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:02 AM   #25
rohada
"TRF" Member

While the PCLs and the bezel can get scratches, I find those scratches easily removed on my own. I don't recommend if you are not well versed in this art or voodoo, but it can be done with the right materials and abrasives. My TT Daytona looks new and amazing. The gold is especially easy to work with when you have the right stuff. One thing regarding the dials from 11 to 12 series, the white face looks basically the same between the two models. The champagne and black dials are huge improvements from 11 to 12 series due to the thick bands around the subdials in the latter. That's just me. Regarding the cases, it's a wash for me either way. Again, YMMV.
Old 15 August 2024, 11:07 AM   #26
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I really appreciate the above feedback regarding legibility. Thanks!
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:15 AM   #27
daysky1
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/ihxs1Nz
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:46 AM   #28
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Thanks everyone for your inputs so far. I can relate to many of the comments / posts. Really appreciated.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:04 PM   #29
morethanashoe
"TRF" Member

I am also in the same boat, turned 50 this month. I picked up my TT this year and been a watch I wear a lot. First time I saw a Daytona was from my dad, which also on a TT with black dial - same as the one I picked up.

You will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
morethanashoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 01:02 PM   #30
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I purchased my TT Daytona 18 years ago and much later purchased my SS "Panda" dial.

They are two different watches imo. The TT is flashier and more attractive, the gold bezel is flashier looking and gets noticed by those that don't know much about watches.

The SS on the other hand falls under the radar for everyone except watch enthusiasts.

I like both for different reasons and wear them with different outfits on different occasions.
ultimately its all subjective, go with what you like and ignore everyone else.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote